• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    Had some time so I decided to do a field strip on it and see how bad it was inside. Not bad at all. However, I did notice some numbers that I was not sure of. I know that on some guns, different parts will be numbered, but I know nothing about Tokarevs. I am sure that there are some experts here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is what I found on the sides of the hammer assembly.

On the right side is the number '08'

On the left side was the number '7770'. It almost looks like it was put on with a vibrating engraving tool.

I don't know the Yugo's very well but other Toks have a 2-4 digit number - usually the last part of the S/N - stamped in the left side of the hammer group housing (and sometimes the hammer), under the barrel, and the barrel bushing. Depending on manufacturer the full S/N may be stamped on the outside of the slide somewhere too, and/or assembly number under the firing pin tunnel.

These Yugos are refurbished I believe, and the parts were electro-penciled to match either the gun they are in now or perhaps another one.
    I wouldn't worry if they don't "match", it's a robust design and should work just fine.

The one I got from DK is really nice too.
    It did have a lot of grease in the firing pin channel so be sure to clean that out thoroughly.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I don't know the Yugo's very well but other Toks have a 2-4 digit number - usually the last part of the S/N - stamped in the left side of the hammer group housing (and sometimes the hammer), under the barrel, and the barrel bushing. Depending on manufacturer the full S/N may be stamped on the outside of the slide somewhere too, and/or assembly number under the firing pin tunnel.

These Yugos are refurbished I believe, and the parts were electro-penciled to match either the gun they are in now or perhaps another one.
    I wouldn't worry if they don't "match", it's a robust design and should work just fine.

The one I got from DK is really nice too.
    It did have a lot of grease in the firing pin channel so be sure to clean that out thoroughly.

Yeah I still haven’t gotten mine apart to clean that bit. Everything else has been decreased and oiled. Ran 50 rounds like a champ. That said, I do intend to get the firing pin out and the channel cleaned before I get it to the range again.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    On the FCG, that might be the case on the stencil. If so, mine doesn’t match. Which is only odd because all other serials match (slide, barrel and frame) and everything is in like new condition.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    My slide and frame match, but I forgot to check the barrel while I had it apart. Is there any way to track the year of production by the serial number or any other means?

ETA: I was bored so I took it apart again and the barrel is a match. However, I also noticed that the same number that is on the hammer assembly '7770' is also on the inside of the slide.

Last edited:

offCenter

Just a guy
    Jul 24, 2012
    IIRC I had the factory standard recoil spring (18#) and a reduced weight hammer spring (18#). Bought the packs of each so that I could try various configurations and that's what I settled on. Haven't replaced the mag springs yet (combination of no problems and laziness), but I probably should before I actually have any issues with feeding.

Jul 1, 2012
    Therein lies one of the drawbacks of the Yugo M57 - recoil spring availability.
    It uses a different system than a "standard" Tok and nobody has fresh springs, at least that I could find.
    It's a giant PITA to disassemble the captive system and replace the spring itself.
    The old-style 1-piece guide rod and spring from a TT-33/TTC can be swapped in.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Therein lies one of the drawbacks of the Yugo M57 - recoil spring availability.
    It uses a different system than a "standard" Tok and nobody has fresh springs, at least that I could find.
    It's a giant PITA to disassemble the captive system and replace the spring itself.
    The old-style 1-piece guide rod and spring from a TT-33/TTC can be swapped in.

That’s why I figured I was okay in buying one. Worst comes to worst I can change over to tt-33 guide rod and non-captive spring to keep it running if needed. And for basically $250 shipped to me, a cool piece of history and it is fun to shoot. I am not going to worry too much about destroying collector value on it. Though I do want to take care of it.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Thanks for posting all this great information here. Might want to grab some spare parts if I ever happen to run across them.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I thought rifles were a foot and pistols were a hairy hand?

Now, gobble up what you can that is "RIGHT NOW" inexpensive
    Tok
    CZ50
    P64

One day they won't.

In the not to distant past, Nagant Revolvers, Mosin Nagant Rifles and Austrian M95 were all around $100

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I thought rifles were a foot and pistols were a hairy hand?

Now, gobble up what you can that is "RIGHT NOW" inexpensive
    Tok
    CZ50
    P64

One day they won't.

In the not to distant past, Nagant Revolvers, Mosin Nagant Rifles and Austrian M95 were all around $100

I am still on the fence about a p64. Not sure that it’ll scratch an itch that I’ve got. I am in the process of getting a CZ-50 though. For the reasons you mentioned partially. Even though I said no more guns for awhile.

:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom