Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 11th, 2019, 05:02 PM #21
Stoveman's Avatar
Stoveman Stoveman is offline
TV Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cuba on the Chesapeake
Posts: 15,911
Stoveman Stoveman is offline
TV Personality
Stoveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cuba on the Chesapeake
Posts: 15,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post
ok dumb question.

You obviously possessed it before taking it to be reviewed by the handgun roster board.

How exactly did that work? Did you move here from a free state?
This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicojack View Post
And you had to do this because ... ?

...and this?
__________________
_______________
Proud CCW Cultist
Stoveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2019, 05:25 PM #22
DD989's Avatar
DD989 DD989 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Rockville / Bethesda area
Posts: 222
DD989 DD989 is offline
Member
DD989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Rockville / Bethesda area
Posts: 222
Yeah Stoveman,

It was a typical FUBAR. Bought it from my local FFL. Had some dude on a local range “warn” me that the flashhider and folding arm brace put it on the MD naughty list. Had another guy a moment later tell me “nah, he is fine - it is pistol.” The two debated back and forth and I went to the MSP site to see my approved 300BLK model...and did not see it. They had 223 and 556...but no 300.

I decided to bring it to them because I didn’t like all the questions I was getting (I was 100% brand new to firearm ownership).

They were super nice at the forensics lab. They told me it would have to ship back to the FFL when testing was complete.

THEN firearm had a failure to load during testing so they tabled it. My FFL held onto it and then called MSP and explained that they did not need to test the 300 BLK barrel as it is the same one used on the approved Daniel Defense MK18 300 BLK. MSP agreed and approved on 09/11 meeting. Then had to wait for the 30 day public comment period and then another 30 days for it to show on the approved item site. That is today.

Was I fine all along?
Probably.
Did I feel safe with lots of questions and me not being sure?
No - I did not.

Meh...so I haven’t had my firearm since May. It needs a full tear down, clean, and lube. Plus...I got a JP Rifle silent capture spring and I’ll have my FFL drop in a Geissele SSA while they are at it.
__________________
Maryland FQL
MD Designated Collector
MSI Executive Member
Maryland Rifle Club member
NRA Lifetime Member
DD989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2019, 10:43 PM #23
Stoveman's Avatar
Stoveman Stoveman is offline
TV Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cuba on the Chesapeake
Posts: 15,911
Stoveman Stoveman is offline
TV Personality
Stoveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cuba on the Chesapeake
Posts: 15,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD989 View Post
Yeah Stoveman,

It was a typical FUBAR. Bought it from my local FFL. Had some dude on a local range “warn” me that the flashhider and folding arm brace put it on the MD naughty list. Had another guy a moment later tell me “nah, he is fine - it is pistol.” The two debated back and forth and I went to the MSP site to see my approved 300BLK model...and did not see it. They had 223 and 556...but no 300.

I decided to bring it to them because I didn’t like all the questions I was getting (I was 100% brand new to firearm ownership).

They were super nice at the forensics lab. They told me it would have to ship back to the FFL when testing was complete.

THEN firearm had a failure to load during testing so they tabled it. My FFL held onto it and then called MSP and explained that they did not need to test the 300 BLK barrel as it is the same one used on the approved Daniel Defense MK18 300 BLK. MSP agreed and approved on 09/11 meeting. Then had to wait for the 30 day public comment period and then another 30 days for it to show on the approved item site. That is today.

Was I fine all along?
Probably.
Did I feel safe with lots of questions and me not being sure?
No - I did not.

Meh...so I haven’t had my firearm since May. It needs a full tear down, clean, and lube. Plus...I got a JP Rifle silent capture spring and I’ll have my FFL drop in a Geissele SSA while they are at it.


Confession is good for the soul, thanks for the rest of the story.
__________________
_______________
Proud CCW Cultist
Stoveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2019, 11:37 AM #24
ras_oscar ras_oscar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,137
ras_oscar ras_oscar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD989 View Post
Yeah Stoveman,

It was a typical FUBAR. Bought it from my local FFL. Had some dude on a local range “warn” me that the flashhider and folding arm brace put it on the MD naughty list. Had another guy a moment later tell me “nah, he is fine - it is pistol.” The two debated back and forth and I went to the MSP site to see my approved 300BLK model...and did not see it. They had 223 and 556...but no 300.

I decided to bring it to them because I didn’t like all the questions I was getting (I was 100% brand new to firearm ownership).

They were super nice at the forensics lab. They told me it would have to ship back to the FFL when testing was complete.

THEN firearm had a failure to load during testing so they tabled it. My FFL held onto it and then called MSP and explained that they did not need to test the 300 BLK barrel as it is the same one used on the approved Daniel Defense MK18 300 BLK. MSP agreed and approved on 09/11 meeting. Then had to wait for the 30 day public comment period and then another 30 days for it to show on the approved item site. That is today.

Was I fine all along?
Probably.
Did I feel safe with lots of questions and me not being sure?
No - I did not.

Meh...so I haven’t had my firearm since May. It needs a full tear down, clean, and lube. Plus...I got a JP Rifle silent capture spring and I’ll have my FFL drop in a Geissele SSA while they are at it.
Thank You for doing the ground work to add another safe and effective firearm to the roster. Too many times purchasers just wait, assuming the manufacturers are doing the submittals. Have you given any thought to writing a set of step by step instructions to assist others through the process? IMHO that would be well worth a sticky.
__________________
I'm a democrat and I support the second amendment . Deal with it.
ras_oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2019, 11:50 AM #25
danb's Avatar
danb danb is online now
i pi
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Howard County
Posts: 19,590
danb danb is online now
i pi
danb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Howard County
Posts: 19,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD989 View Post
Yeah Stoveman,

It was a typical FUBAR. Bought it from my local FFL. Had some dude on a local range “warn” me that the flashhider and folding arm brace put it on the MD naughty list. Had another guy a moment later tell me “nah, he is fine - it is pistol.” The two debated back and forth and I went to the MSP site to see my approved 300BLK model...and did not see it. They had 223 and 556...but no 300.

I decided to bring it to them because I didn’t like all the questions I was getting (I was 100% brand new to firearm ownership).

They were super nice at the forensics lab. They told me it would have to ship back to the FFL when testing was complete.

THEN firearm had a failure to load during testing so they tabled it. My FFL held onto it and then called MSP and explained that they did not need to test the 300 BLK barrel as it is the same one used on the approved Daniel Defense MK18 300 BLK. MSP agreed and approved on 09/11 meeting. Then had to wait for the 30 day public comment period and then another 30 days for it to show on the approved item site. That is today.

Was I fine all along?
Probably.
Did I feel safe with lots of questions and me not being sure?
No - I did not.

Meh...so I haven’t had my firearm since May. It needs a full tear down, clean, and lube. Plus...I got a JP Rifle silent capture spring and I’ll have my FFL drop in a Geissele SSA while they are at it.
So, wait, FFL transferred a pistol that was not on the roster?

What exactly happened there?
danb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2019, 01:50 PM #26
DD989's Avatar
DD989 DD989 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Rockville / Bethesda area
Posts: 222
DD989 DD989 is offline
Member
DD989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Rockville / Bethesda area
Posts: 222
Time to see if MSP does things right

danb,

#Shrug

I wanted a DD M4V7P. MSP had M4V7Ps (two) on its roster. My FFL sold me the weapon. The only “wrinkle” was MSP did a poor job of covering Daniel Defense in their roster. With the addition of my weapon, they fixed the prior errors. Now, no matter if you want a 223, 556, or 300...any model they offer under the M4V7P is going to be approved. It used to be “the one in black but not FDE was approved on 223” etc...
__________________
Maryland FQL
MD Designated Collector
MSI Executive Member
Maryland Rifle Club member
NRA Lifetime Member
DD989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2019, 01:55 PM #27
DD989's Avatar
DD989 DD989 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Rockville / Bethesda area
Posts: 222
DD989 DD989 is offline
Member
DD989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Rockville / Bethesda area
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras_oscar View Post
Thank You for doing the ground work to add another safe and effective firearm to the roster. Too many times purchasers just wait, assuming the manufacturers are doing the submittals. Have you given any thought to writing a set of step by step instructions to assist others through the process? IMHO that would be well worth a sticky.


You know what, that sounds like a great idea!! I’ll put some thought into drafting up my experience. I’ll also say that in the end my FFL likely did the heavy lifting. They were the ones that...straightened out MSP policy and forensics to see their way towards correcting the earlier errors. The current approach covers all the various permutations of color, whereas before...if you did not have the exact model / color / etc...it was not technically under the approved list. MSP was very clear with me - their sole interest was in ensuring the barrel would not have safety issues firing 300BLK. Once my FFL ‘splained it to them that it is the SAME barrel in the M4V7P 300BLK as the one in the MK18 300 BLK...they “saw the light.”
__________________
Maryland FQL
MD Designated Collector
MSI Executive Member
Maryland Rifle Club member
NRA Lifetime Member
DD989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2019, 02:09 PM #28
Postell Postell is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 158
Postell Postell is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
This...




...and this?
It would have been so much simpler to have Chad write him a letter....
Postell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2019, 02:11 PM #29
Hddeuce03 Hddeuce03 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 16
Hddeuce03 Hddeuce03 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post
So, wait, FFL transferred a pistol that was not on the roster?

What exactly happened there?
I has a similar thing happen. A couple years ago I won an auction from Bud's Gun Shop online....had it shipped to my FFL...go to pick it up and was told it wasn't on the list. So they held it for me while I went thought the process of getting it added to the list (around 3-months).

BTW it was a Jiminez Arms 9mm.
Hddeuce03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2019, 02:57 PM #30
danb's Avatar
danb danb is online now
i pi
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Howard County
Posts: 19,590
danb danb is online now
i pi
danb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Howard County
Posts: 19,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hddeuce03 View Post
I has a similar thing happen. A couple years ago I won an auction from Bud's Gun Shop online....had it shipped to my FFL...go to pick it up and was told it wasn't on the list. So they held it for me while I went thought the process of getting it added to the list (around 3-months).

BTW it was a Jiminez Arms 9mm.
Except for the part where the FFL let you take it to the range in the meantime, its exactly the same...
danb is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2019, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service