Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Black Powder
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old November 9th, 2019, 10:12 AM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by j8064 View Post
Most folks know we Hooligans also shoot a lot of BPCR's. Various Sharps and rolling block rifles typically find their way to our shoots. And we can thank 4570inMD for mentoring us a ton!

A Pedersoli 1874 Sharps joined my collection a couple of years ago. Being a competitive guy it was clear the original factory buck horn and blade sights weren't gonna make it. So I added an "entry level" Vernier tang sight from Track of the Wolf and a really nice Lee Shaver front globe sight (first two pics below). That as an improvement, but nowhere near the same league of my competitors like 4570 and CombatAK.

The TOW Vernier sight is OK, but wasn't going to work for me. My biggest hesitation was justifying a $400 investment in a quality tang sight to replace it. Then recently 4570 loaned me a Montana Vintage Arms Soule to try. OMG! It works great!

It was cold and windy yesterday. But my first range sight-in tests with the new sight set-up made a world of difference in my shot placements. The combination of the MVA Soule and the LS globe front sight helped me put hand loaded 45-70 BP rounds on target! Now it's a matter of figuring out the right load to keep groups tight enough to successfully get out to long range targets.

Oh, and the "sticker shock" of buying quality sights? That's gone. I spent another $100 today and ordered an MVA Magnum Eyedisc for it! https://montanavintagearms.com/produ...mva/eye-discs/

To quote my mentor's text to me today (that'd be 4570):

That's OK. It's what we do. And I'll say again: What a difference a sight makes!

Nice! I put a Lee Shaver "economy" mod-range soule sight and the same front globe on my Pedersoli Sharps. Really worth it for my needs. I've still got some work to do getting a load developed for 500yds, but it's a hoot.

My dad's CPA Stevens .40-65 has the MVA with the Hadley. Really great sights and would've been my choice if I was shooting more than I do.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Horseman308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2019, 02:40 PM #12
Hooligan #12

Hooligan #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman308 View Post
Nice! I put a Lee Shaver "economy" mod-range soule sight and the same front globe on my Pedersoli Sharps. Really worth it for my needs. I've still got some work to do getting a load developed for 500yds, but it's a hoot.

My dad's CPA Stevens .40-65 has the MVA with the Hadley. Really great sights and would've been my choice if I was shooting more than I do.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
I have the MVA mid range with the Hadley eyecup on my Shiloh Sharps 40-65. I don't think you can go wrong. I know that j8064 will have his 45-70 tuned in pretty quickly. We shoot quite a bit and I don't think there is anything that I enjoy shooting more than the Sharps. I do keep good company and that helps.
Registered Republican Voter
Responsible Firearm Owner

Deus Et Patria
CombatAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2019, 05:23 PM #13
Western MD Hooligan #007

Western MD Hooligan #007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman308 View Post
... if I was shooting more than I do.
The Hooligans can help you with that......

Come join us any Sunday morning & we'll help you get your rifle shooting as you like it, as well as sharing our rifles & pistols that have already proven themselves.

4570inMD

Western Maryland Hooligan #007
MD HQL; MD Designated Collector;
NRA Distinguished Life Member; NRA Rifle Coach;
MSI Sustaining Member
4570inMD is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Black Powder