• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Tapco (gen II) mag works fine even in the AC556.

Last edited:

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    It's a nice rifle. I put a Redfield Revolution 3x9-40 on mine and use it for the fox that come looking to eat my chickens. 62 gr soft point is pretty devastating. I bought mine in 08 or 09 when 20 rd mag was standard. The Ruger mags are pricey $$$ but I've had no trouble with them feeding. Mine throws brass 1/4 mile when it ejects....

Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    Mine throws brass 1/4 mile when it ejects....
    Using divided benches at Cresap I had brass ricocheting all around me. It was bouncing off of the divider on my right across in front of the bench to my left. Can't wait to see how far it flies in an open area.

I also noticed a lot of the brass was dented, not all, but maybe 25%.

herkybird72

2A Defender
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2011
    Freedomland,NC
    :party29::party29: nice!

IIRC Magul or ProMag used to make them. Can't recall which, but I know I bought them in 2013. I ended up tossing them because they turned it into a jam-o-matic. Something about the feed lips were off-spec I think. If they stopped making them, its probably because they could not get the secret recipe right.

Owned 2 20rd ProMags. Do not buy! Both had FTF issues. Then I left them loaded for 3 days and they spread due to their crappy spot welds at the top and would not insert into the Magwell.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Mine throws brass 1/4 mile when it ejects....
    FWIW, You can get different gas port bushing to calm the extraction down.
    There are also buffers avail to keep the oprod from beating the receiver. There have been cracks reported. I use a Wilson 1911 buffer on both of mine. You can feel the difference.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Using divided benches at Cresap I had brass ricocheting all around me. It was bouncing off of the divider on my right across in front of the bench to my left. Can't wait to see how far it flies in an open area.

I also noticed a lot of the brass was dented, not all, but maybe 25%.

The dent is caused by the charging handle hitting the brass as it flies out. Just like a batter.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    There are also buffers avail to keep the oprod from beating the receiver. There have been cracks reported. I use a Wilson 1911 buffer on both of mine. You can feel the difference.

Yes, I use the same buffers in my Mini 14. Here they are if the O.P. wants to install them:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...buffer-1911-government-polyurethane-pack-of-6

They say they are for a M1911A1 but they also work in the Mini 14

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa

One of the 1st things I did was put a 1911 buffer in. I haven't heard of changing out gas port bushings, that'll keep brass from flying so far?

Perfect Union has a pretty extensive mini 14/30 forum, I spent a lot of time there when I first bought mine

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    + 1 on the buffers.

Yes, you can get port bushings or adjustable gas blocks from Accuracy International. Also struts. If you want the scout look, you can also get the Amega or Ultimak scount mount rail.

Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    Ordered up some buffers. It looks like some people put 1 on the gas port to cushion the impact of the action slamming back into battery, but it's generally not recommended. I'll try 1 on the spring end and see what happens.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Ordered up some buffers. It looks like some people put 1 on the gas port to cushion the impact of the action slamming back into battery, but it's generally not recommended. I'll try 1 on the spring end and see what happens.

Yes, don't put them on the gas port. Only the operating rod's spring end.

Regarding the buffer pads, I took my M1911A1 out a week or so ago. It's amazing how much impact those buffer pads can absorb from that pistol. You can definitely the wear in the forward surface of the pad.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    :party29::party29: nice!

IIRC Magul or ProMag used to make them. Can't recall which, but I know I bought them in 2013. I ended up tossing them because they turned it into a jam-o-matic. Something about the feed lips were off-spec I think. If they stopped making them, its probably because they could not get the secret recipe right.

I have three 30 round and one 40 round of unknown provenance, possibly Pro Mag. They have worked perfectly for me, so far, but I haven't shot my Mini 14 a whole bunch (yet.)

Your mags may vary.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If the Mini 14 or Mini 30 shot better groups, I would get one or both in a heart beat.

If I ever get attacked by paper, I will definitely pull out my nice AR that shoots fine groups.

Mini 14 is a fine setup if I get attacked by people or medium animals at self defense distances. It is certainly no worse than any AK I've ever fired. I can reliably hit man sized steel at 100 yds, more than adequate. I concede, its too loud for zombie hunting.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Both the mini and AR are more accurate than I am. My preferred shooting stance is offhand.

Not really a fan of shooting from the bench with a bipod. I sit too much as it is.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    If I ever get attacked by paper, I will definitely pull out my nice AR that shoots fine groups.

Mini 14 is a fine setup if I get attacked by people or medium animals at self defense distances. It is certainly no worse than any AK I've ever fired. I can reliably hit man sized steel at 100 yds, more than adequate. I concede, its too loud for zombie hunting.

:lol:

:D

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick

Do you have a source for the gas port bushing?

I am using a 1911 buffer in mine as well, I saw that it would work great, the first time that I took it apart.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Here is a video promo for the Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39. They had to do a couple of takes since in the beginning, the narrator accidentally said "I owned a Mini-30 in 7.62x39 and was not impressed"; the intended narrative is "owned an SKS and was not impressed ..." :)

ok - kidding. I'll end up getting one of these one day. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom