• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmg32

Aug 25, 2017
    Hi all. New handgun owner in MD. I know there are specific laws regarding transporting a handgun within the state. Has to be in a case, away from the driver, separate from the ammo.

Are there specifics about the case? Hard vs soft-sided? Does it need to lock?

Does the ammo itself have to be in a case, or just somewhere in the vehicle separate from the gun?

Any suggestions about a range bag/case that meets MD law would be appreciated.

TIA

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/criminal-law/title-4/subtitle-2/4-203

(3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

Unloaded, in any case suffices. So long as you're staying within the state, it needn't be able to be locked either (of course this doesn't hurt; always lock your car).
    Ammo should be kept separate. It is fine for you to have loaded magazines too, just not in any firearm.

I'm a big proponent of 'out of sight, out of mind'. Best to stow your guns in the trunk or otherwise out of sight.

If you plan on taking your arms out of state, get yourself a lockable case and a lock to be in compliance with interstate travel regs.
    https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150101/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation

BartExp

Ultimate Member

If you plan on taking your arms out of state, get yourself a lockable case and a lock to be in compliance with interstate travel regs.

This is great information for us rookies. So, if I understand correctly, if I travel from my home outside Baltimore to my condo in OC, straight down route 50, keep the gun unloaded in a case or holster and separate from the ammo.

But, if I cut through Delaware the gun and ammo must be separate and both locked.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    If you use a holster, it must be enclosed, which at a minimum means a strap with a snap over the top. Of course you should read further on the matter.

And welcome! We do indeed like new people.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    tranportation

Unloaded, in any case suffices. So long as you're staying within the state, it needn't be able to be locked either (of course this doesn't hurt; always lock your car).
    Ammo should be kept separate. It is fine for you to have loaded magazines too, just not in any firearm.

I'm a big proponent of 'out of sight, out of mind'. Best to stow your guns in the trunk or otherwise out of sight.

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who was a sargent in the hp section of MSP. He said when he was there they were told that magizines were part of the firearm and could not be loaded. Speed loaders were ok because they were not. Any MSP want to let us know.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    This is great information for us rookies. So, if I understand correctly, if I travel from my home outside Baltimore to my condo in OC, straight down route 50, keep the gun unloaded in a case or holster and separate from the ammo.

But, if I cut through Delaware the gun and ammo must be separate and both locked.

Ammo does not need to be locked up. Don't read into it.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    No requirement for a locked case unless you have no trunk and only guns OR ammo needs to be locked, not both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    AG ruling says loaded mags are fine I am on my phone and don't have access to the opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Just remember that a lot of ranges will not allow you to come in with loaded mags. In my area (northeastern Baltimore County), neither FreeState nor Continental allows that.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Just remember that a lot of ranges will not allow you to come in with loaded mags. In my area (northeastern Baltimore County), neither FreeState nor Continental allows that.

Yes indeed. Thanks for that backup.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    here's the AG opinion on loaded mags.

Also attachin the AG opion on wha constitutes an enclosed holster

Don't ask cops about the law. Many of them aren't that up to date on what's ok.

Not casting aspersions, some just don't know.

Attachments

• AG opinion enclosed holster.pdf
      123.5 KB · Views: 283
    • AG Opinion Loaded mags.pdf
      37.5 KB · Views: 300

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel

I have had my AR-15 in FreeState and always have my magazines loaded before going to the range. Nobody has ever questioned me about my magazines there.

I carry my guns in cases in the trunk of my car when going to the range. In the cases that hold magazines, I usually place loaded magazines. This saves valuable range time. I will also place loaded magazines in my range bag and place it in the trunk.

In days past when I had an SUV without a separate trunk, I would transport my guns to and from the hunting camp in locked cases with all ammunition packed separately.

I have been stopped for inspection by Fish and Game wardens and have never had a problem.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I have had my AR-15 in FreeState and always have my magazines loaded before going to the range. Nobody has ever questioned me about my magazines there.

Maybe they just weren't paying attention. There is a sign on the door about loaded magazines. I've seen them have people empty magazines at the counter. Their house, their rules.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I don't go to ranges that prevent me from preloading my magazines. The hell if I am going to pay someone by the hour for the privilege of me loading my magazines.

Drawnad

Aug 9, 2017
    Edgewater, MD
    here's the AG opinion on loaded mags.

Also attachin the AG opion on wha constitutes an enclosed holster

Don't ask cops about the law. Many of them aren't that up to date on what's ok.

Not casting aspersions, some just don't know.

Thank you for posting this! I am just finishing day one as a gun owner. Went and picked up my gun (Glock 19) at the gun store. Told them I was going Togo right to the range to try it out. I had a range bag with me with, among other things, boxed ammunition in a compartment and two loaded magazines in another compartment. Locks on both. They told me I needed to unload the magazines (even they would be in a separate locked compartment of the bag from the gun itself) and needed to have the boxed ammunition separate from the gun as well. I unloaded and re-boxed the ammunition (came from one of those boxes). Short answer, I walked out thinking this was absurd (and considering a move to VA). I am glad that they were wrong. I'll read the AG opinions tonight!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom