• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alderleet

Always, Sometimes.
    Sep 25, 2013
    AA
    You also want to look at it from a long game perspective.

If/when you buy a 30cal suppressor.

DI is quietest, spits in your eye from the charge handle, no matter what
    Short Stroke, very loud
    long stroke, marginally quieter, still loud. (Suppressed AK's rape your eyes right where the guide rods locks into top cover, with gas and debris)
    roller lock, decently quiet when you actually do the math from roller lockup and low angle lock piece.

Direct Impingement, and Roller delayed blowback are your best bet. RDB spits less shit in your eyes, because there's no cutout near your face for gas/debris to strike you.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    I like my Mas 45/56, sporting a Hi-Lux red dot scope, with an added cheek rest and a Mas recoil pad; though I had to spend $80 for a titanium firing pin that prevents soft primer slam-fires.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I don't know, I love my Vepr 308. Decent DMR/battle rifle accuracy, reliable, you CAN get 20rd mags out of state, 10 rounds standard. The standard wood stock provides good cheek weld. Mopar, if you ever want to take mine out for a spin, let me know. Using cheap ZQ1 ammo, it does quite well. My buddy has a Zastava M77, and his is a tad more accurate than mine, but the plastic thumbhole stock is a jawbreaker he says. I didn't mind it much. The M77 is a great bargain, and CSSPEC is making great mags for it.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Do you have a Polytech? If so, how do you like it? I bought one during the panic when I couldn't find an M1A any place in MD. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I have gun nut friends in NC who said they were good to go.

Yup i got one , i really like it. shoots good for me and no function issues

Twofer

Regular Guy
    Dec 13, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Best MD Legal .308 battle rifle

FN SCAR H (Not enough $)

Do you want the best or just the runner up?

From a quick search on gunbroker, new SCAR 17's are $2500. The stock trigger is "gun show AR parts kit" quality, so plan on an extra $300 for a Geissele.

There's a bit of sticker shock, but the cost of the ammo will quickly eclipse what you paid for the rifle.

Attachments

• bigscar.jpg
      bigscar.jpg
      67.1 KB · Views: 1,176

AwesomeBill

Awesome Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Westminster
    SCAR H. No question at all. Expensive, but the best.

Second place would be an AR-308 something or another. I'll be going down that road around Xmas time if plans stay the same.

I think you're better off staying away from the CETMEs and C308s.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I know S&W has some nice affordable AR10ish rifles that I saw at Engage Armament a while back. I was in the same boat as you a while back, although I had the cash for my finalists (SCAR H, LWRC REPR, or LaRue .308). The more I thought about the cost of ammo for .308, the more I moved away from a semi-auto .308. I ended up getting a LWRC IC Enhanced. While I have two other high quality AR15s, I figured I'm better off sticking with 5.56 for costs and parts availability.

For .308 I rely on my Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle. It's a bolt action, but it has 10 round magazines and is very light and maneuverable. If I had to pick one rifle the Scout would be in the discussion with one of my ARs. I like AR10ish rifles, but I worry about the long term reliability of their actions based on the higher power round. I have no data to back it up, but I just intuitively think there would be more problems with a .308 AR action.

Good luck.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    That's a Zeiss Z51 night vision scope. It was made for the German Bundeswehr for use on their G3 rifle, MG3 machine gun (West German MG42) and their whatever you call it postwar panzerfaust. However, it will work on just about anything that has a STANAG scope mount.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks. Zeiss glass is nice (I use for other applications). Looked it up - people indicate that it's quite usable at night with a bit of starlight - and hitting accurately at 100 yds or more is de rigueur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom