• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    I've been rationing my deer meat and was down to the last package of ground. Today we started crop damage on one of my properties. We had 6 hunters get that got in a total of 8 hunts, 6 does were harvested.

Attachments

• Picture0714182154_1.jpg
      Picture0714182154_1.jpg
      97.6 KB · Views: 2,427

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Congrats...nice bag...

I just couldn't think of hunting as hot as it's been.....brain switched to fishing...lol...

My year is normally deer in January. Then switch to squirrel season. Next is house work just before turkey season. End of May-June is fishing. Then crop damage for July through early Aug. Back to fishing some more just before archery season begins.

DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    My year is normally deer in January. Then switch to squirrel season. Next is house work just before turkey season. End of May-June is fishing. Then crop damage for July through early Aug. Back to fishing some more just before archery season begins.

Sounds like a dang good schedule.....trade with ya.....
    Mine is work 51 weeks a year 6 days a week and take off week after thankgiving.....and maybe an occasional Saturday afternoon to "walk around".....

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Nice work! Unless my wife actually starts waving divorce papers around (verbal threats, psshhh) I will be back in Potapsco in a stand come 5am first Saturday of Archery season. I know a nice spot where I got a Spike last year that is right by about 5 game trails in a 60yd span that cross the pipeline and heads towards my neighborhood where the deer like to go and eat overnight.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    It was a little wet this evening. Once the rain let up some I moved out from under the cover of the treeline into a spot in the middle of the field. Two minutes later I dropped this doe.

Attachments

• Picture0716181951_1.jpg
      Picture0716181951_1.jpg
      106.6 KB · Views: 648

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I love deer meat and shoot mostly does because of that.I have never eaten any deer taken this time of year.I would assume they would be more tender this time of year....easy food and no running from horny bucks.Im talking adult not fawns.Should I get some crop damage tags?

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    I would say without a doubt meat this time of year is much better than one harvested in oct/nov. Right now they are eating fresh tender crop growth, and corn. Later in the fall they eat acorns and older plants. Have you ever eaten an acorn? It taste bitter and horrible. Contrary to the popular belief of "fat is flavor" it is not true for deer. Deer fat is horrible and gives the meat an almost rancid flavor. This time of year the does are just finished weaning the fawns. From the nursing process they are currently low on fat and just starting to gain some weight back for winter. Summer time their fat is mostly a jelly consistency located in their lower abdomen. Closer to winter the fat is more between the muscle and hide with a hard waxy type of consistency, which inevitably gets put into ground a lot times.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Closer to winter the fat is more between the muscle and hide with a hard waxy type of consistency, which inevitably gets put into ground a lot times.

The flank meat on the ribs and around the shoulders can get a lot fat mixed in it. This is one of the reasons I like self butchering also, besides being cheap and not liking deer as steaks. I have 3 and 5 gallon food buckets and cooled in the basement fridge. Deer are deboned and thrown in the bucket. I sit at the island and trim roasts of membrane and fat and cube and trim all grind-age of fat.

Deer fat rendered makes good bullet lube too. ;) I have 1 1/2 year old fat in the fridge in the basement and no mold or rancid smell. Had some of it out for a month and a half warm and didn't go bad.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Yesterday I had to take one of my dogs to the vet which I'd rather do that than sit out in that down pour that we got. My wife is in town tomorrow so I might spend a few days with her then get back to hunting Sunday or Monday.

This doe was alone but had a fox traveling with her. He was within 10 yards of her for over 10 minutes. When she changed direction so did he.

Attachments

• Picture0718182111_1.jpg
      Picture0718182111_1.jpg
      89.3 KB · Views: 575

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    The recent rain has made the low laying fields a muddy mess. I had to go 200yds across one tonight and each step I sank halfway to my knees.

I saw 6 shooters, 5 little dinky bucks and one doe. She came out fast and at last light. I thought it was a 130-140yd shot. Well I misjudged and it was actually 170ish. She dropped on the spot but recovered some and tried getting up a minute later. A follow up shot quickly ended any suffering. With each shot being $2+ I hate missing or needing to use a second shot but sometimes that is what needs done.

Crappy cell with no flash pic...

Attachments

• Picture0726182215_1.jpg
      Picture0726182215_1.jpg
      7.6 KB · Views: 526

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    I was on the road walking in and saw her about 160 yds out. I stalked her and cut the distance in half.

Attachments

• Picture0728182050_1.jpg
      Picture0728182050_1.jpg
      104.8 KB · Views: 491

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads