Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

View Poll Results: What one TYPE of sling that works well for most long guns?
1 point sling 10 15.38%
2 point sling 57 87.69%
no sling 2 3.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 9th, 2018, 01:38 PM #1

Which is better 2 point, 3 point, or no sling?

I think using a rifle in an emergency no sling is really necessary, but you'll have to drop or lay it down if you have to use both hands, so generally I like slings.

One point sling seems a bit better for those that only carry a rifle for a few hours or less at a time, like police/security.

Two point sling may be better for those that must carry a rifle for long periods of time, or on a long march, where the sling better helps carry the weight of the rifle on your body.

I read a few threads here on this topic in general, wanted to try a poll. Question is, if you are Harry homeowner, and want one TYPE of sling that works well for various long guns (shotguns, hunting rifles, defense, SBR, etc.) what one TYPE is your most preferred, or 'go to' for most applications?

Also, I found this video very interesting, new to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sv765RMxkM
NebTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2018, 01:56 PM #2

For me the answer is a quick adjust 2 point sling. VTAC, Ferro Concepts, Blue Force Gear, etc. They are all good, though lately I tend to prefer the Ferro Concepts Slingster.
fbi_surveillance_van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2018, 02:29 PM #3
For great Justice

For great Justice

Much depends on your weapon, training, and needs, there really isn't a single sling that works for every purpose. A 2pt sling will be setup quite diffferently if you just want a shoulder sling to simply carry a hunting rifle vs a sling to use as shooting support vs a 2pt tactical sling to carry, and deploy across body in the front. Even single points can have their place with SBRs and pistols, or when you want quick transitions with minimal sling manipulation. I'll run a sling on most rifles, usually QD points on either side near the butt, one close to the grip, and either side of the handguard, I might move the points closer or further apart depending on the purpose of that particular rifle, even with the same type of rifle and sling.
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2018, 02:45 PM #4
Competition Shooter

Competition Shooter

For an AR I prefer a sling that can do 1 or 2 points with QR fittings in 3 places on the rifle. 1 point for tactical use and 2 points for extended carry time.

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.
James Madison
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Sir R.M.Hyslop (attributed to Edmund Burke).
Those willing to give up freedom for security deserve neither.
Benjamin Franklin
photoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2018, 02:49 PM #5
nope nope nope nope

nope nope nope nope

When open carrying in the mall I prefer the 1 point sling for my AK pistol.

But honestly, I think it all depends how thick your body armor is. I have a hard time getting a 2 point comfortably around the 3 layers of ceramic plates when I am at Mondawmin.
danb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2018, 03:57 PM #6

Thanks for the feedback, and votes, I see this poll thing works well.

my hope was to maybe find a sling that could pretty much 'do it all' so if I learned to use one sling, I could put it on any long gun I owned. Everyones situation is different, I have no dedicated or even primary purpose, so don't imagine carrying a long gun for a long time, although I do already have inexpensive, very basic slings on a few hunting/defense long guns.

Anyone watch that video I posted? Its of a 1-point sling, but the guy using it shows a couple ways he uses it to get more stability and is able to transport mode it with just a simple technique. His technique I think will work with any 1-point sling, and really appears to solve the major drawbacks to a single point sling.

Of the two point slings I've been looking at I'm leaning toward the Ferro Concepts Slingster . and the Proctor 2-point slings.

I think the single point sling the guy in the video recommended is called the Basham Sling, but all I could find was this kinda old FaceBook page, no prices, no idea if he's still making them: https://www.facebook.com/Basham-Slings-264576903676545/
Old October 9th, 2018, 04:59 PM #7
Jew with a Gun

Jew with a Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoracer View Post
For an AR I prefer a sling that can do 1 or 2 points with QR fittings in 3 places on the rifle. 1 point for tactical use and 2 points for extended carry time.
Here's a guy who got it right. When you are running and gunning, single-point slings are where it's at... but for just carrying them around, two-point is a lot more comfy. A sling where you can go from one to the other is pretty handy.

My absolute favorite sling in that vein is my Urban ERT. It is a little complicated to use and not cheap, but it's almost infinitely flexible and modular. It also has a VERY comfy seatbelt-material 2" wide section that is excellent for carrying heavy rifles. I used a Magpul MS2 with my Galil once upon a time, and that sucker was just cutting into my neck after a while. I use Magpul paraclips on mine for locking attachment to sling points.

That said, one my favorite two point slings is an IDF "silent sling" where it has a plastic buckle you can unhook to make the sling longer... go short when carrying, go long when it's time to run and gun. Very intuitive, and works well.
Old October 9th, 2018, 06:12 PM #8

I don't run single point slings because they have a tendency to allow my rifle to tag me in the sack if I have to drop the weapon, and they are more annoying to stow if I need both my hands. That said they work fine for the most part. If the OP doesn't want to choose, I suggest going with a two point that can transition to single point via QD mounts. I like the thicker VTAC for this because it seems to be the most stable. That said, if I can only pick one sling it's going to be a two point and it's going to be QD and quick adjust. To me that is the most versatile and stable. I prefer two points on SBRs and SBRlike pistols, too.
fbi_surveillance_van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2018, 10:45 PM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbi_surveillance_van View Post
I don't run single point slings because they have a tendency to allow my rifle to tag me in the sack if I have to drop the weapon
The Patrol Incident Gear (PIG) Drop-Slider sling is designed to, when you release your rifle, allow the weapon to slide around to your side, and hang there, instead of dangling in front of you.

As with other slings, the main body of the sling wraps around your torso, and a a short webbing extension ("pigtail") runs between the main body of the sling and your rifle.

However, the way they implemented the extension strap is different from other designs I've seen.

On the Drop-Slider, a rectangular loop ring encircles the webbing of the sling body, allowing the sling to slide freely within that rectangular loop ring.

A pigtail connector is sewn around that rectangular loop ring and, at the outermost end of the pigtail, there's a quick release buckle. That quick release buckle allows you to customize the type of connector that interfaces with your rifle - QD swivel, HK hook, or webbing length.

When you drop the rifle, the design of the pigtail allows gravity to carry the rifle away from your centerline, and bring it to rest at your side.

My general preference is to use an adjustable QD two-point. So, I haven't used the Drop-Slider extensively. However, it's well made, and does indeed work as advertised.

https://www.patrolincidentgear.com/c...der-sling-mk-1

https://www.patrolincidentgear.com/c...sling-and-mk-2
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 11:21 PM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
The Patrol Incident Gear (PIG) Drop-Slider sling is designed to, when you release your rifle, allow the weapon to slide around to your side, and hang there, instead of dangling in front of you.

As with other slings, the main body of the sling wraps around your torso, and a a short webbing extension ("pigtail") runs between the main body of the sling and your rifle.

However, the way they implemented the extension strap is different from other designs I've seen.

On the Drop-Slider, a rectangular loop ring encircles the webbing of the sling body, allowing the sling to slide freely within that rectangular loop ring.

A pigtail connector is sewn around that rectangular loop ring and, at the outermost end of the pigtail, there's a quick release buckle. That quick release buckle allows you to customize the type of connector that interfaces with your rifle - QD swivel, HK hook, or webbing length.

When you drop the rifle, the design of the pigtail allows gravity to carry the rifle away from your centerline, and bring it to rest at your side.

My general preference is to use an adjustable QD two-point. So, I haven't used the Drop-Slider extensively. However, it's well made, and does indeed work as advertised.

https://www.patrolincidentgear.com/c...der-sling-mk-1

https://www.patrolincidentgear.com/c...sling-and-mk-2
thank uyou all.

would a 2point that can be modified to 1point have a chunk that could pop you in the mouth if in 2point mode when you are pushing it a bit?

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles

Tags
slings