• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    Hi all,

I know next to nothing about scopes. I’d like to learn more and try one out. I’ve been reading and watching videos but it’s a little like drinking from a fire hose. The application will be a standard Ruger 10/22 and the use will be an outdoor range at 100 yards max (perhaps more time spent at shorter distances until I improve some). Probably the usual plinking in the woods as well.

I’m looking for a recommendation for a scope that I can learn from. I don’t need something high end, but also don’t need a paper weight.

Thanks!

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    Learn to shoot irons then worry about a scope. Or buy this,learn to shoot with it then move up from there.

https://www.bushnell.com/riflescopes/banner/banner-3-9x40-riflescope/BU-613947.html

Funny, that’s exactly what I said to myself a while ago, and what I’ve been doing. I find that I don’t shoot the 10/22 in favor of an old J.C. Higgins .22 and have decided to try the scope on the 10/22 for comparison. I want to be proficient at both.

Part of the curiosity comes from the fact that I’m in need of my first pair of glasses. I can’t see the damn target like I could a few years ago. :(

Thanks for the recommendation.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    One of the better buys is still the swfa line of fixed power optics. 300-400. Glass is ok. Turrets are good enough for plinking and usually pretty repeatable. Warranty is as good as vortex. Friend had a ten power that was twelve years old, turret freewheeled. They replaced it.

Vortex works, if you want to spend a couple more bucks. Need to look at specifics of budget and precision requirements.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Vortex.

Not the best at anything, but they just seem to be the standard against which scopes are judged at all price ranges. The crossfire line is a good value for a 100 yard scope.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    For my 10/22 TD I ended up with Leupold 2-7x.

VX Freedom.

I looked at a number of scopes at Cabela's in DE, and while I am a big Vortex fan, the Leupold was nicer.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    It really comes down to how much you want to spend. I like the Athlon line of scopes for what you are looking at. I have a few Athlon Argos Gen I scopes that I have used for rimfire matches before I upgraded and on my 223 bolt gun, which I was shooting out to 500 yards with it. I think you can find them for around 300

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    much depends on the purpose. Have a 10/22 charger with 8" barrel and side folding brace topped by a $40 NC star multi-recticle red dot, all of $500 in it, and it's stupid fun. I run it suppressed and ring steel plates out to 200 yards without a problem, but mostly plate racks fast on the handgun range, may be able to squeeze a 4" group out of it at 100 on a good day. Also have a built 10/22, probably $1K in it, good barrel, only the receiver is original, topped with a decent 3-12 bushnell, capable of 1 hole groups out to 100 yards, and can ring steel as far as it will go, but obviously a lot slower at close range. IMO not much point in anything above a $300 Vortex or Leupold. 4x is more than capable of 100 yards, more magnification might help out further, or if you want to squeeze groups as much as possible, but IMO a 2-7 is probably ideal for a "target" setup from 50-200 yards, 1-4 could be fun if you shoot closer, or faster. No reason to overthink it with FFP/SFP, lenses or other things that don't matter for the vast majority. I don't really hunt, and don't plan on using my 22s for anything serious or defensive, so for me it's not worth spending the money on a more reliable optic, or one with features that don't really matter past rimfire distances.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    You have a ton of options in terms of rimfire scopes out to 100 yards. All depends on what kind of shooting you are doing with your 10/22. I have a lot of rimfires I use for Appleseed loaners and for shooting, so have tested a lot of different set-ups. Here are some observations

Fixed low-power scopes
    Simmons 22 Mag fixed 4x: They are just ok but were cheap ($30-40). Could be a place to start before you go all-in with something nicer.

Nikon P-223 fixed 3X: These are really nice, especially for the price (~$100 on sale) - super compact and light, clear glass, exposed turrets, BDC reticle but not distracting. Great if you don't want to use an extended rail for extra eye relief.

Primary Arms 6X Classic Rimfire: Also really nice for the price (~$120, sometimes on sale as blemished for $100). Glass is not quite as nice as the Nikon but the ACSS BDC works well with high velocity ammo out to 200 yards (and yes, have tested it at our long range rimfire events). Versatile and easy to use.

Mid-range variable power scopes
    Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9: This is my favorite! VERY clear glass, adjustable objective (from 25ft to 200 yards) - $220 and never on sale. Always recommended on Rimfire Central and such.

Nikon Prostaff P3 3-9: Another excellent adjustable objective rimfire scope. I think the glass on the Clearidge is slightly better, but this is just a little cheaper and a fine scope. Mostly on clearance right now as well, so either hard to find or a better deal.

Bushnell is going to be comparable here as well as some of the lower end Leupolds. There are tons of examples here.

I also have a Primary Arms 1-6 22LR ACSS that is pretty fancy and the most expensive one here. It has an illuminated reticle, nicer glass than the classic 6X. But, honestly, I shoot it the least - it is heavy, larger, and expensive. I would buy the Clearidge over it in a heart beat.

Lower-end variable power scopes
    If you want to go cheaper, the Simmons 22 Mag is available in a 3-9. The glass won't be as good, but it will get the job done at $40-50. Some Appleseed instructors also like the UTG BugBuster 3-9 scope as a cheap alternative. But I don't have personal experience with that one.

High-power variable scopes
    I really only have one rimfire with a larger variable max-18 power scope - a bolt action. But I don't really use it at the highest power. I think 3-9s will do a lot for a rimfire out to 200 yards.

For the comment on learning on irons, that would be fine with Tech Sights (which are awesome) but you may not learn as much with stock Ruger irons, which are hard to use accurately, not finely adjustable, etc.

I do think a red-dot is a fine option for plinking and starting out - I have the low-cost Bushnell TRS-25 on a couple 10/22s and it will do the job.

Ok, I guess I gave you more firehose! Sorry about that. Goes to show you can't make a lot of bad choices...though there are some.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    The best way to learn is to do, just buy something. Ask 100 people get 100 different answers. A 3-9X whatever will pretty much work on any rifle. Buy what you can. Does your 10/22 have a scope rail? You'll need rings, but what height rings? Oh man so many variables. Get a red dot and call it a day.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Don't buy low end scopes, unless that's all your budget will allow. If you intend to shoot that rifle often, then buy the best scope you can afford.

I spent a lot of years not wanting to do that because "it's just a .22."

Then it occured to me that I grab a "just a .22".....just every time I shoot.

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    Thanks for all of the great replies. The current “need” is to fiddle with a scope to see what they’re about and learn what I want in a good scope.
    (or if I want a good scope). Budget is maybe $150 at the top end for this one. I don’t know enough yet to justify spending more. Looks like there are several decent options that would meet my initial needs.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Not to confuse things further I hope.

For Rimfire under 100 yards, I would get something with an parallax setting (sometimes called AO, Adjustable Objective or EFR or the like) OR a get a scope thats sold as a "Rimfire" scope that has its parallax set to somewhere near your average target distance. (Nikon rimfire scopes, sadly discontinued had their parallax set to 50 yards.) Non Rimfire scopes with fixed objectives usually have thiers set to 100 yards.

Lots of new to using scope peoples main issue is parallax and understanding it. It can be frustrating having the target in the "x" perfectly, and still hit in a shotgun pattern all around it. This is (usually) because of parallax error.

I would get something like the Vortex Crossfire II AO series. The 4-12x40 model is a little over your $150 budget though
    https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optic...=vortex+crossfire+ii+ao&qid=1597252448&sr=8-5
    I use the 4-12x40 and the 6-18x44 on a few different rimfires and am more than happy with them for thier uses.

4-12 (or 6-18, or whatever) = Magnification range. It will magnify from 4x to 12x and all in between by turning a dial on the scope.
    x40 (or x44 or x50 or whatever) = Objective Diameter. Larger/Bigger Number lets in more light but needs taller/higher scope rings.

Your 10/22 if bought new should have come with a scope base that you will need to screw into the top of the 10/22's receiver. If not you can get 10/22 scope bases for right around $10 many places.
    You will need to get scope RINGs to match the type of rail used, the diameter of your scope tube (most are 1-inch/25mm or 30mm tubes) and you will also need proper height ones for your comfort and also to account for objective diameter of the scope. Medium Height rings should be good for up to 44mm Diameter, though the lens cap might be a tight fit on some barrel profiles)

My friend uses one of these on his "tacticool 10/22" and is happy with it, I used it a bit and nothing about it really bothered me. It even comes with scope rings all for $120.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G509AH...olid=1UKH47O7F88HP&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    The best way to learn is to do, just buy something.

This is what I did. I was going in circles attempting to make a decision so I just bought a cheapy $28 CVLife 3-9 from Amazon to try something. It came with rings that are too high (something I had no way to gauge before). It helps with the issue I have focusing on the tiny front sight of the 10/22 and makes it easier to get on target. That helps me focus on other aspects of improving my shooting.

On a whim I bought a Savage Axis .308 package w/a Weaver 3-9 from Cabela’s. It’s still a low end scope but the clarity and zoom are both much better than the Amazon cheapy. I had read that 3-9 was plenty for 100 yards but didn’t really feel that way with the CV. The Weaver 3-9 is more than enough for 100 yards. Now I’m itching to try longer distances - and better optics. :)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This is what I did. I was going in circles attempting to make a decision so I just bought a cheapy $28 CVLife 3-9 from Amazon to try something. It came with rings that are too high (something I had no way to gauge before). It helps with the issue I have focusing on the tiny front sight of the 10/22 and makes it easier to get on target. That helps me focus on other aspects of improving my shooting.

On a whim I bought a Savage Axis .308 package w/a Weaver 3-9 from Cabela’s. It’s still a low end scope but the clarity and zoom are both much better than the Amazon cheapy. I had read that 3-9 was plenty for 100 yards but didn’t really feel that way with the CV. The Weaver 3-9 is more than enough for 100 yards. Now I’m itching to try longer distances - and better optics. :)

Now you need a Nightforce.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Now you need a Nightforce.

Down the rabbit hole... I've had $2000+ optics and found that there is a happy place in the middle with performance and price. I'm not rich so being able to have 2 $1000 scopes that are more than adequate vs one $2000 scope worked better for me. If I only had one scoped rifle it would be a different story.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Down the rabbit hole... I've had $2000+ optics and found that there is a happy place in the middle with performance and price. I'm not rich so being able to have 2 $1000 scopes that are more than adequate vs one $2000 scope worked better for me. If I only had one scoped rifle it would be a different story.

Soooo....PayPal credit offers 0% financing over 24 months. They FORCE you to set up auto-pay. Just saying.....

You are right, though. Depending on your application, you can get by with a much less expensive scope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom