• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Hope this is the right subforum.

A friend of mine inherited this from his father 20+ years ago, sat in his closet until his wife (who is really anti-gun) found it and freaked out. After a quick trip (3 hour each way) to pick it up in a hurry before he or it was thrown out.
    His father obtained it in the early to mid 80's supposedly from a "collector". His dad had told him way back before he inherited it that it was a "Chilean Mauser" and that is all he really knew.

There are no caliber markings on it that I can discern
    It has "586" or might be "536" stamped on the bolt.
    "2t 220" stamped in multiple places, I assume this is the serial number.
    Looks like "6241" or "G6241" stamped on the wooden stock near the chamber.

There is a proof mark of some kind and text that my tired eyes are having a hard time making out near it. (it was a LONG day lol) (its in picture #5 below)

Barrel is 28 or 29 inches long, has cleaning rod.

I put a bunch of pics below, if more clear pictures or of different places are needed I will add them.

Any rough idea of value? He might want to sell it, want to get it ID'ed and cleaned/lubed up (if it wont hurt any value) first.

(Click for larger image)

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    It’s a Model 1893 Mauser, 7mm Mauser caliber. I’m not very well versed in these, someone will be along soon who is.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Thank you for the info, do you think a moderate takedown and lube/clean would hurt its value any?
    I am more of a "modern" gun guy, oldest would be a M1 carbine/garand. I like the rifle's look but I am not sure how much I would trust it for actual use. Going to see what he wants to do with it, he may want to sell it.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Thank you for the info, do you think a moderate takedown and lube/clean would hurt its value any?
    I am more of a "modern" gun guy, oldest would be a M1 carbine/garand. I like the rifle's look but I am not sure how much I would trust it for actual use. Going to see what he wants to do with it, he may want to sell it.

You can take it completely apart and clean with normal gun cleaners- I use CLP but there are many others. Wood can be cleaned with any normal wood cleaner. Only damage to value occurs when the finish is removed which you can’t do with cleaners, these rifles were built for abuse and use.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan

Also it’s not much older if any than a Garand or Carbine, they made these until 1951. Biggest downside is the bolts are weaker due to 2 lug vs 3 lug locking than the successor 1898 Mauser which is still the most produced firearm ever.

jef955

Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    That's an Oveido Spanish 7mm Mauser, I have one, and it was given to me by my father also. He got it from (get ready..) Montgomery Wards in Capitol Plaza out of a barrel, in the vicinity of like $25 or so. Haven't shot it in years. I think these were common guns to sporterize. I dont think there's a lot of collector value in any of these, but can be decent shooters. Ammo a bit scarce, but not real expensive. Keep in mind my research is a few years old, someone else here is most likely more up to date than me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom