• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    They removed the whipping post yesterday. I know a lot of people my age (middle) who used to talk about this and were aware it was there. Very few if any younger people were probably aware of the post but some probably were.

I'm surprised they didn't mention or do anything about the mock pillory that was still on the south west side of the circle just the other day.

Red Hannah was symbolic of punishment for doing the wrong thing regardless of race. Kind of like a bogeyman thing, you never know where you'll end up for exhibiting the wrong type of behavior.

I see the removal as more of a reduction to institutional authority than a race thing. Kind of like a transition from local sentiment regarding a method of punishment to an interpretation of what others think elsewhere.

All people show red when shamed or whipped publicly. I would imagine that the stigma would carry on well past the actual act and be a good deterrent to repeat behavior amongst those the Whippe interacts with in the community.

More often than not, I think the spectacle was actually worse than the actual physical pain inflicted when Red Hannah was put to use. I'm not aware of where they are moving it to for preservation. Probably to the waste facility east of town on 9 or it will wind up in some state workers back yard.

http://www.wboc.com/story/42316583/historians-remove-whipping-post-from-georgetown-set-to-m

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I have always thought they should bring back public hanging. Maybe it would encourage some folks to chose a more productive path in life. If course I still don't understand the whole racial thing about nooses. I grew up out west and hanging is what happened to horse thieves, rustlers, and outlaws.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Near me is a historic home that was a plantation house that quartered slaves.
    There is a lib organization that provides funding for restoration and upkeep. It’s like a lib Mecca over there when they get together.
    I noticed the other day that some off the state signs indicating how to get there were removed.
    The place is surrounded with a security fence to Limit access to the building and surrounding grounds. Has been for a while.
    I thought for sure that the current custodians would come along and level the place out of guilt but I guess not.
    I guess they figure it’s a cool place to hang out and pick scabs when they have to then go get some wine later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom