• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I mostly shoot on private land but once in a whil ei go to AGC. I noticed the other day someone had a gong holder that slipped onto a 2x4 and held a gong. i have one of those too but his was diffrent because it had a HOLE to put the bolt thru and fasten the gong on. Mine has a U that you use tension to hold the gong in place. Both are angled down and safe for the range.

The U design of mine means it has to be cranked down tightly else it'll "jump" off the gong holder with a 308 or 300 win mag.

does anyone know the name of the gong holder "kit" or whatever that AGC sells there so i can look for one at amazon?

looking for two versions... one for 2x4 as well as one for T fence posts.

Similar to these; but with a closed top instead of a U shaped open hole.:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Don't know about AGC either, but this one for 2x4 mounting looks exactly as you described: https://www.amazon.com/Target-Hange...=1545445459&sr=1-8&keywords=2x4+target+hanger

Sam company make one for T-posts, but it has a spring mount like the one in Uncle Duke's link: https://www.amazon.com/Steel-Target...8&qid=1545445617&sr=8-2&keywords=Dire+Systems

yes, that top one is basically what I have to use at AGC.

CTS targets also makes one, sold on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/TESKE-Steel-...kmr0&keywords=cts+2x4+Target+Hanger+for+AR500

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I have destroyed 7 CTS 1/2"steel targets while shooting 30-06.
    When I use the hook type the target flips off on the first hit. Wait 30 minutes for a cease fire. Shoot again and wait for another cease fire and go home.

I only use a CTS bolt type now but eventually the plate will crack at the weakest point, the hole mount.

My last CTS order was for a single plate but to my surprise they sent me 3 free 1/2" 6" round ones.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    This isn't elegant, but why not use some safety wire to capture the bolt in the slot of the holder?

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    Bolt hardness is Grade8.
    I wish they had a hole in which I could insert a cotter pin but that would be sheared off in good time.

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    I have the AR 500 target solutions unit with the “u”. I’ve used heavy wire wrapped around the bolt and the mount to keep the bolt loose and the plate never flies off the U mount. It’s the ceiling hanger wire Mr. Ed suggested above. A full wrap around the bolt, then each end wraps around the hanger steel, easy peasey hangs loosely yet secure.

vinconco

Mar 4, 2016
    Hang Fast Targets has a solution that works well to retain targets. This is the KISS principle on steroids.

The weight of the plate keeps the target on the hanger. The plate protects the hanger/hardware from bullet damage. Very reactive and the single mounting point allows them to ring like a bell.

The best part is the hanger works on a standard T Post which are cheap and can be left in place and the targets taken safely home. (nobody ever stole a T Post)

98eQ8Sk.jpg

Multiple targets can be hung on the same T Post

botjoeL.jpg

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I have the AR 500 target solutions unit with the “u”. I’ve used heavy wire wrapped around the bolt and the mount to keep the bolt loose and the plate never flies off the U mount. It’s the ceiling hanger wire Mr. Ed suggested above. A full wrap around the bolt, then each end wraps around the hanger steel, easy peasey hangs loosely yet secure.

guess this also addresses how to get the gong off quickly for a swap.. or in case you shear the head of the bolt off.

Good call you 2!

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    guess this also addresses how to get the gong off quickly for a swap.. or in case you shear the head of the bolt off.

Good call you 2!

In my SUV I carry 2 with hooks and 2 with bolt attachments.

The hook types are used for 5,56MM up to .30 M1 carbine. At each ceasefire I go down range and flip over the plate to a new painted side.
    The plate is 3/8" thick.

The bolt attachments are for 308 up to 8MM. These plates are 1/2" thick.

I also carry extra 2X4s and spare parts not just for me but for other shooters.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    The weight of the plate keeps the target on the hanger. The plate protects the hanger/hardware from bullet damage. Very reactive and the single mounting point allows them to ring like a bell.

The best part is the hanger works on a standard T Post which are cheap and can be left in place and the targets taken safely home. (nobody ever stole a T Post)

I like this concept and i'm sure it would work great under some/most conditions. Sadly the posts are going to be located in the middle of a farm field. Only shot at while crops aren't there. That's MY problem but.. i have to wonder.. how well do the gongs stay on the posts if that wasn't a problem??

Earlier this year, i recorded a video of my 300 win mag hitting a gong at 300 yards. iPhone is hooked up to a spotting scope and on a tripod.

Regular Speed Link

Slow Motion

Looking at these videos.. i would have to think the gong would fall down when being hit with that gun at that range. yes??

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014

I know this range! Though.. i'm not sure what i'm watching other than a fully semi automatic war weapon... plinking a helpless gong. :P If thats YOU.. i would LOVE to look thru that scope in person. maybe shoot 1-2 rounds. for the sake of product evaluation. I'm looking to remove some coyote and fox from some property.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    In my SUV I carry 2 with hooks and 2 with bolt attachments.

The hook types are used for 5,56MM up to .30 M1 carbine. At each ceasefire I go down range and flip over the plate to a new painted side.
    The plate is 3/8" thick.

The bolt attachments are for 308 up to 8MM. These plates are 1/2" thick.

I also carry extra 2X4s and spare parts not just for me but for other shooters.

i've seen 2x4s get "cut" from the shrapnel after several rounds. It's not a single day thing but it does happen. We shot the dueling tree 2x4 post down last weekend... pew pew.. TIMMMMBERRRR...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom