• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nov 4, 2018
    As an owner of both, I disagree.
    OP, I know this isn't quite what you had asked for, but make sure you are factoring in gas system length and barrel twist into your decision.

No, I appreciate it. I want to factor in everything. What do you have in mind for the gas system? With 16" barrel would a shorter gas system be good?
    https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/collections/upper-receiver-assemblies/products/ur14m47a4b

Also, I'm thinking 1:7 is optimal, but 1:8 is ok? I'd like to be able to shoot 62 grain projectiles

Invicta

Sep 16, 2018
    No, I appreciate it. I want to factor in everything. What do you have in mind for the gas system? With 16" barrel would a shorter gas system be good?
    https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/collections/upper-receiver-assemblies/products/ur14m47a4b

Also, I'm thinking 1:7 is optimal, but 1:8 is ok? I'd like to be able to shoot 62 grain projectiles

I would go mid length. For 62 grain, a 1:8 is perfectly fine. It will also work for heavier (technically, longer) rounds that wouldn't work so well with a 1:9. But, a 1:9 should work with 62 grain.
    That one you linked to is a 14.5 non hbar profile. Unless you want to do an SBR, make sure youre sticking to a 16" heavy barrel.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    In my opinion, if you are going to buy an HBAR upper go with a 6721 Colt upper. Gunbroker and other vendors typically sell them and they are excellent in my experience.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    OP, just buy the parts from Thanksgiving to Christmas and build the upper you want, with the parts you want on it. It really isn't that hard to do.

This is the best option. You can source the best parts and find a kind soul to mentor your build.

I've got a 16" barrel with a mid-length gas tube. 1/8 twist .223wylde chamber.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I have an upper that I like. I don't know how hard it would be to put in a heavy barrel. I imagine that the parts might not fit, and it might be expesnive to get a gunsmith to do it. Might be best to just get a new one
    The AR is meant to be swapped around. There is a industry standard for the AR, due to the US military utilizing the M16 and M4 rifles.

Last edited:

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    This is the best option. You can source the best parts and find a kind soul to mentor your build.

I've got a 16" barrel with a mid-length gas tube. 1/8 twist .223wylde chamber.

I agree...parts are so damn cheap and someone is always willing to help. No brainer IMHO.

I just saw an ad for a PSA's best BCG for $59. That's damn cheap.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    As an owner of both, I disagree.
    OP, I know this isn't quite what you had asked for, but make sure you are factoring in gas system length and barrel twist into your decision.

Dwell time in the bore after the gas block helps in ensuring the correct amount of gas for cycling all powder charges. The longer the dwell time, the more consistent the gas pressure will be in the gas system. By shortening the dwell time, you run into a host of issues, like undergassing. Why is it that the M4 uses a carbine gas system? Because it cycles with most if not all ammo the US military gets it's hands on.

Do you build your AR's or do you buy them?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I agree...parts are so damn cheap and someone is always willing to help. No brainer IMHO.

I just saw an ad for a PSA's best BCG for $59. That's damn cheap.

If the uppers I want go on sale, I'll teach you how to lap an upper with those, then you can lap your uppers. Get some hands on knowledge.

Just waiting on Alpha Shooting Sports to put their laser engraved uppers on sale. Need two that are marked 300AAC Blackout.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Maybe.

To the OP, check with Engage in the Industry Partners section. They could easy help you out with a MD compliant upper.

I promise no gas block mistakes this time. :lol2:

BTW, you are an enabler. You gave me an excuse to get a BCM KMR Alpha rail. :mad54: :D

If the OP doesn't want to build one, then I second going to Engage Armament in Rockville.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    -BCM Upper
    -YM Match Carrier
    -SLR Adjustable Clamp On
    -Floated Rail that will cover the SLR
    -Criterion HBAR in your choice of length with longest gas system they offer and matched bolt. It preserves bolt life. Ideally you only need 2-3" of barrel in front of the gas block.
    https://criterionbarrels.com/products/ar-15/ar-15-hbar-contour-barrel/

Fyi, Criterion uses the proper headspace spec for the 5.56 so a matched bolt is a good thing in today's market. Headspace problems are more common than people acknowledge.

If it's a defensive use gun that may see a suppressor, get chrome lined. If it's a bench gun buy stainless.

Have the upper assembled by someone that has the proper tools, gauges, and understands how to pull maximum reliability and precision from the weapon.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    If the uppers I want go on sale, I'll teach you how to lap an upper with those, then you can lap your uppers. Get some hands on knowledge.

Just waiting on Alpha Shooting Sports to put their laser engraved uppers on sale. Need two that are marked 300AAC Blackout.

I've got a couple that are cheap as heck. Perfect test dummies.

I say no engraving. Silver sharpies do a fine job.:D

Juche90

May 10, 2014
    Stag was having some specials last week or two and their HBAR are stamped and advertised as MD compliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads