Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Recreational Shooting
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old February 13th, 2019, 08:49 AM #21
i pi

i pi

There is probably more than one factor off in my opinion. chrono could be off, scope height off by 3/8, BC could be off too. It all adds up.

Strelok Pro has a trajectory validation feature, you can calculate the velocity given the actual MOA/inches observed. You can also calculate BC. Using it, if the chrono is off 50-75 fps (about 3%) that might explain the discrepancy.
danb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 09:11 AM #22

Gentlemen,
My scope height was off .25". However, when I adjust my program for that variable I am still unable to have program match (within reason) without adjusting zero to 240 yds. My true drop at 600 yards is 11.5 MOA. Inputing the new scope height, using all variables listed in earlier post, program solution is 12.81 MOA for 600.... too high.

If I input 240 yd zero, use 2813 MV, new scope height of 1.75", and then call for 600 solution the program shits out 11.66 MOA which I would normally round down to 11.5 while shooting. when I call for 1000, it calls for 33.90 (which will be 1/2 MOA to low). If I go into the trajectory truing option and put in my actual drop of 34.5 MOA at 1000, the whole program seems to get close to my actual drops in field, albeit it calls for a slower calculated velocity of 2793. This is doable for me in the field.

Again, as soon as the farm lanes dry up from the rain, Ill go out into the field and re-box (confirm my drops) then check in with you guys. At this point Im either extremely negligent and missing something (like being off .5" on scope height) or I need to get comfortable with the fact that I need to manipulate the program to match what the rifle/bullet is doing.

I really appreciate each of you circling back with suggestions. This stuff drives me crazy, but also is one of the things that makes this hobby attractive to me. A challenge.

Side note, for the last five years I was hand loading hornady 155 Amax bullets. These were proven winners on deer at extreme distances. I have not used the ELDs on deer yet, however the groupings from this factory product are unbelievable. From what I can tell they are basically an amax, but with a different coating. Sorry pure ones! I have gotten too lazy to hand load any more. Thanks again.
kooJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 11:46 AM #23
i pi

i pi

rather than solve for your zero, try solving for velocity using Strelok pro target validation feature. See what velocity you get. could simply be your chrono is off.
danb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 01:12 PM #24

The temperature is a big thing and zeroing weather. You should enter the temp of the day when you are using the app. And of course the BC must be correct.
Mtairy Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 01:33 PM #25

Are you sure you didnt confuse "zero offset" with "zero range" ?

When I true my stuff up in Kestrel/strelok/shooter. I use a base Speed/fps and then add as many different speed/FPS values in the temp colums as I can get in there accurately. Then I go shoot and true the info on paper for the given temp. Then I take and mess with MV/BC until I get all the points on the progam & trued version to match close as possible.

All of that is done after checking gun/projectile info is correct
Broncolou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 03:43 PM #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post
rather than solve for your zero, try solving for velocity using Strelok pro target validation feature. See what velocity you get. could simply be your chrono is off.
This ^^^^^
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM #27

How ate you keeping that slow 155 stable at 1000, and giving you 6" groups? Palma shooters push a much nicer 155 to 3000 fps and can barely keep it mach 1.2. You could be the world champ with that gun.....
Park ranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Recreational Shooting