• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Who here has played around with comps for handguns and how do you feel about them? There's all kinds, from edm cuts in the barrels, to bushing comps for 1911's, to the thread-on variety. Muzzle devices are all over the ar-15 market, but not too many people get in to them for handguns. Show off some, share some info about your experiences with them, share why you do or don't like them.

Here's the one I'm currently digging...
    45 comp and my stipling.jpg

left side comp and my stipling.jpg
    ...I didn't really expect it to do anything for .45acp. All my reading around said .45 had pressures that were too low for comps to really do anything noticeable. I got it anyway just because I'm a fan of absurd things(hence the pistol bayo). Damned if that thing doesn't cut down recoil and muzzle rise in a BIG way. I like that the hotter the loads I'm shooting, the more effective it is. It turns hot 230 gr +p's into a warm 9mm load in feel. It was pretty interesting to bounce back and forth between alucard's g20 & g30 with some pretty hot loads and then come back to my comp'd m&p with the tlr1 hanging off of it. The thing felt like a cap-gun. Here is shooting with it yesterday up in PA at the windsor range...

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1094

SOoo.. handgun comps, whatchu got?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have a lot of pistols and rifles with comps that I have shot in competition, even rimfires. Yes in general the faster the round and the more gas it produces the better it is to reduce recoil and muzzle flip. For calibers like 38 Super, and 9x23mm (9 Super Comp) I like to run around 9g of Auto Comp. That produces a muzzle velocity of about 1400-1450 FPS. At that point the design of the comp in number and size of ports will determine how flat it shoots. Lots of guys in my club (MPC) have comped .45 raceguns they still bring out to shoot bowling pins. Not too many are used for other types of competition because the .45 open guns tend to be outclassed by faster shooting and higher mag capacity guns based on various bullets around 9mm.
    Then you have what they call carry comps which are short 1-2 slot comps designed to reduce muzzle flip in CCW guns for faster followup comps. Had a Browning HP in 9mm with a comped barrel like that once. Also the comp on the old Sig P229 Sport model is like that. Had one of those also in 357 Sig. I put a slide ride mini red dot on it for both competition and some carry. Ended up selling it and getting an STI racegun built.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Why aren't pistol comps as commonplace as rifle comps? They're all over the place in competition, but look to the left and right at the range and they're nowhere to be found. Muzzle devices in general just aren't really prevalent in handgunnery.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    other than on 1911s and tokarevs, I've never really considered them- a bushing is a handy place to mount a comp, after all.

I just find they don't tend to do as much, and aren't worth the effort.

I do in fact like the compensated glocks, but there's nothing really hanging off the end there- and even then I don't like the idea of bleeding energy off of a handgun round that in comparison with my other weapons is anemic enough as it is.

I guess what it comes down to is that Handguns are great because they are handy and concealable- they are a really portable and comfy way to carry around something that fires bullets with you- comfort is really secondary to accomplishing that purpose.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    as noted above, handguns are about concealability and portability, so adding a 1-2" comp off the end really detracts from their purpose. and even with porting, the end of the barrel is much closer to the shooter than a carbine or rifle. rifle calibers also have a lot more muzzle energy to tame.

also as noted above, competitions generally have 'open' divisions where guns with comps (and optics) are allowed - concealability/portability isn't an issue and decreasing muzzle jump for follow-up shots is welcomed.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Compensators have no place in a defensive pistol. In many defensive stances, it can blow hot gasses and debris onto the shooters face. This can cause injuries, temporary blindness and hearing loss.

They work well in competition guns where the shooter always fires from an extended stance. In defensive stances... It is a liability.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    anyone see that one brake they made for the .500 mag?

I think it's made by the same company that designed the brakes for the .460 rowland conversions.

Anyways, you send in your revolver and they I guess thread the end of the barrel, or somehow attach this huge brake that no joke looks like the brake on the end of a tank's cannon.

TNB-02_MARK1.jpg

It looks almost exactly like this, except it's got ports drilled in the top face of the thing.

Come to think of it, I've never heard of a comp or brake on a revolver before this

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Had not considered that but you are correct. Shooting a comped carry gun held tight into the body might ruin your day almost as much as getting shot.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    haha, that reminds me of a time a friend of mine, who will remain nameless in case he sees I posted this on here, nearly set himself on fire by trying to brace a revolver with his forearm in front of the trigger guard.

Oh man! Down from his coat was going everywhere! And he looked like a dog who had bit into his own tail!

At the time it was a little scary. It didn't start being funny until almost ten seconds later.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    i messed around a good bit with a comped 45 about 18 years back. I figured a few things out.
    - bushing comps are a waste, except for the Wilson which you get some effect;
    - the weight on the end of the barrel is a factor in its effectiveness;
    - different design comps do have different levels of effectiveness;
    - ones which are clearly more effective are the multiple port designs (ex. 3 top large ports and 4 smaller side ports)
    - use large charge weights of moderately slow pistol powder and lighter bullets. I used Blue Dot. It is as much gas volume as it is gas pressure which make comps work. Lighter bullets and slower powder equals more gas volume. You may get into +P territory but with a barrel which is not over throated, the comp, and proper tuning the gun won’t beat itself to death. Since the 45 ACP is not a high pressure round one needs to utilize gas volume more than pressure to make it effective;
    - it was fun to play with and shoot an open gun for a short spell but discovered I prefer a stock format pistol

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    The only comped pistol I have is a G32C, and coincidentally, it is absolutely one of the most effective internally compensated pistols I have ever shot, probably due to the 357 Sig being a perfect "comp" round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom