• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    I was going to the southwest US with a sip in Commiefornia for a few days. Ended up not going but was going to pawn it in Phoenix while in Ca.

The gun shops i contacted would not hold it even for a fee. Did not think of repair angle to have them hold it.

Reminds me of this joke...

What’s New
    Hot 50
    Fact Check
    News
    Archive
    Support Us
    About Us
    Random

Fact Check Humor
    Billionaire Uses His Car as Collateral to Get Cheap Parking from a Bank?
    An old legend about a customer's getting cheap parking for his car by using it as bank collateral was shared as a "real" story about Vijay Mallya.
    Wikipedia
    FacebookTwitterRedditWhatsAppEmailMore
    CLAIM
    Billionaire Vijay Mallya found cheap parking in New York by using his expensive car as collateral for a loan.

RATING
    FALSE

ORIGIN
    On 28 February 2016, a video claiming that Indian billionaire Vijay Mallya was able to get cheap parking in New York City by using his expensive car as collateral for a small loan went viral on social media, racking up more than 15 million views within a week of its initial posting:

An Indian man walks into the New York City bank…

Posted by Ben Simkin on Sunday, February 28, 2016

This video, however, doesn’t report a true story. It’s a new version of an old joke that we first covered back in 2006:

Jokes often have attributes in common with urban legends: they’re narratives, they serve as expressions of social beliefs and customs, and they describe general, vaguely plausible events. So, if a joke is transformed into an urban legend by prefacing it with a “This is a true story” tag, it’s not surprising that someone might venture to ask us if it really is a true story.

While the exact origins of this humorous tale are unknown, a version of it was published in “Bentley: Lighter Moments With Our Heavy Metal,” a collection of short stories, illustrations, and poetry from Bentley owners in 2002:

A man walks into a bank in New York City and asks for the loan officer. The man says he is going to Europe on business for two weeks and needs to borrow $5,000.

The loans officer says the bank will need some kind of security for such a loan, so the man hands over the keys and documents of a new Bentley Continental, parked on the street in front of the bank. Everything checks out and the bank agrees to accept the car as collateral for the loan. An employee drives the Bentley into the bank’s underground garage and parks it there.

Two weeks later, the man returns and repays the $5,000, plus interest, which is $15.41. The loans officer says: “We are very happy to have had your business and this transaction has worked out very nicely, but we are a little puzzled. While you were away, we checked you out and found that you are a rich man. You have a good-sized house in up-state New York, a sizeable equity portfolio and no debt at all. We are curious as to why you would bother to borrow $5,000?”

The man replied: “Where else in New York City can I park my car for two weeks for $15!”

Nobody

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would suggest you contact a gun store in the area. For a small fee I'm sure they will lock it in their safe. Or drop it off for a cleaning and get it after you are back from the ship. It will be well secured in the gun store. Make sure to choose a store that puts the guns away in a safe at the end of the day.

An FFL cannot do this. It would have to be listed in their bound book, so it is a transfer to them. To get it back, you would need to have it shipped to an FFL in MD, and do a 77R transfer to you.

And no, they won't just do this. The BATF makes random stops and compares the physical inventory to the bound book. If the FFL has a firearm in their possession (in their safe) that is not in the their bound book, that is a VERY bad thing.

And a private individual cannot take it and keep it overnight legally.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IIRC if the FFL has the firearm for less than 24 hours, no entry must go in the BB. But if it is in their possession at the COB at the end of 24 hours, it must be entered in the BB as an acquisition.

IIRC this is done to allow simple repairs and maintenance.

But don't quote me

ETA spoke to my FFL. He says if a firearm spends the night, it goes in the BB

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom