• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Picked up a used SW 500 and the muzzle brake is not centered. Half the pictures I see online look like this, just not sure it makes any sense. Is this how it is supposed to be?

Attachments

• 272138D4-BBC9-4939-90F3-45E5688255E6.jpg
      272138D4-BBC9-4939-90F3-45E5688255E6.jpg
      58.5 KB · Views: 200
    • 4D6946ED-89C6-4AFC-B126-EE33F5BA8F03.jpg
      4D6946ED-89C6-4AFC-B126-EE33F5BA8F03.jpg
      73.1 KB · Views: 226

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    It's possible that it is set up to compensate for the torque of the bullet. This is sometime used on rifles. I've never seen it one a handgun, but that is a powerful round and maybe it's set up that way by S&W. A quick phone call to them will probably give you the answer you're looking for.

Good luck

PS Is it tight on the barrel?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Define 'not centered'. You mean it is not inline with the bore or the slots aren't aligned to vertical ('timing'/rotation issue)? I have two of them and will check. If just a rotation issue, timing isn't important for a symmetric brake like that pictured to function. Horiz/vertical is just a cosmetic thing. Its designed to reduce recoil, not muzzle flip. I think my first one has some slots on top (and none on the bottom) to work also as a compensator so timing is important on those kinds. Folks say it doesn't make any difference but I've never taken it off to compare.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Define 'not centered'. You mean it is not inline with the bore or the slots aren't aligned to vertical ('timing'/rotation issue)? I have two of them and will check. If just a rotation issue, timing isn't important for a symmetric brake like that pictured to function. Horiz/vertical is just a cosmetic thing. Its designed to reduce recoil, not muzzle flip. I think my first one has some slots on top (and none on the bottom) to work also as a compensator so timing is important on those kinds. Folks say it doesn't make any difference but I've never taken it off to compare.

I would expect the center of the slots to be at 0, 90, 180, and 270. But they are all off 20 degrees or so. But I guess since there is always one centered 180 degrees opposite, they offset each other no matter the direction they are facing.

If you have any with muzzle brakes instead of comps, please let me know.

EDIT: I probably sounded like a moron, I was asking about timing. And since it is symmetrical, it doesn't matter. Some of them do like they are timed at 0 degrees though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom