• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I understand that there's a different feel with each bow manufacturer and their models. My question: Is that difference, at the extreme, enough to diminish the experience to a point where it's not enjoyable to shoot a bow? Or, is it something you can live with, shoot well, and learn to appreciate?

There are a couple used bows I am interested in and they run the gamut: Hoyt, Mathews, Elite, PSE, etc... If finding one that "fits" me is tantamount to a good experience, I won't consider any of them and go get fitted for a bow at an outfitter.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    I’m not an expert but have blindly bought bows before. I can say that my next bow will be chosen after going to a dealer and shooting a bunch of bows.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I would try the used bows first to get a feel for differences. You have to be able to shoot the bows to be able to consider their differences. Stay with the most modern bows that have your particular draw length. If you aren't satisfied, I'd recommend a new bow, and again, shoot as many brands you can to take your final decision. Bows are like underwear, if it doesn't fit you, you will constantly struggle with it. My 2 cents.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    To get my first bow I drove up to Lancaster Archery. They were very helpful and didn't make me feel like an idiot, and helped me get a good fit. Let me test shoot several bows at their range next to the showroom. No pressure to buy anything, but I did leave with a Samick Sage and a bunch of other stuff. :innocent0

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'll throw in Jefferson Archery in Jefferson Md on Rt. 340. Good folks.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I'll throw in Jefferson Archery in Jefferson Md on Rt. 340. Good folks.

I'll second this. Drove over an hour, tried a few bows, price was the final determining factor. It was between an Elite Answer and a Mission Maniac. I liked the Elite, but the price on the Mission won out. This was a few years ago and still use the same bow. If I were looking to replace, I would be going to Jefferson again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom