• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Our next Patriot Picket outing will take place on Saturday, July 28, as the City of Annapolis stages a Benefit Concert for the families of the five victims of the Capitol Gazette tragedy one month ago.

Noting that the lives were lost at the Gazette newspaper, the organizers say the theme for this benefit concert will be a focus on "Freedom of the Press"-- in an apparent suggestion that national politics had as much to do with the attack as did one man's mentally ill vendetta against this particular newspaper.

The band "Good Charlotte", which is composed of Maryland natives, will play on a stage set up where Calvert Street meets West Street.

For the concert attendees, this is a ticketed event, with crowd control that will create boundaries around West Street.

Our PATRIOT PICKET position will be OUTSIDE THE CROWD CONTROL BOUNDARY ON Calvert Street so we WILL NOT be acquiring any tickets.

Our Patriot Picket messaging will be in sync with the theme of the event because we will stress the historic importance of The Bill of Rights in American life.

We will have the following signs that will be in keeping with the event. They will say:

WE STAND FOR FREEDOM OF THE PRESS

WE STAND FOR FREEDOM OF SPEECH

WE STAND FOR THE BILL OF RIGHTS

We will also prominently display Maryland State flags and American Flags (only)

This will be a Truth Squad gathering for us, so we stand with our messages supporting the Bill of Rights silently, and welcome the opportunity to have a dialogue with anyone who has questions or comments. We will be VERY LOW KEY, out of respect for the gathering, but will will definitely stand for the view that an armed citizenry can respond in seconds, when the police take minutes.

Yes, we may get some shouters, but we always win the day by making ourselves available for dialogue and an exchange of views.

We have done this many times before with great success. We invite you to join us. As with past events like this, we will have a meet-up point and proceed to the most favorable position 60-90 minutes before the concert. Those who wish to stay for the whole event are welcome to do that. Those that wish to depart after the concert starts--when our work is done--are welcome to do that also.

So, Patriots, who's in?

ETA: Concert location moved from Lawyer's Mall to West Street.

Last edited:

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    In this space we will be provide more specifics on parking opportunities before the concert, and other plans that we have for “day of”.

Last edited:

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Since my other post got deleted, I'll just say this: This is in poor taste. Let them have their memorial concert without any protest/picketing/policy advocating. Not one person there will see you and your signs and think: "Gee, he's right!". They will all think the opposite, even if they initially agreed with your stance. You will be doing more harm than good if you go through with this.

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    Since my other post got deleted, I'll just say this: This is in poor taste. Let them have their memorial concert without any protest/picketing/policy advocating. Not one person there will see you and your signs and think: "Gee, he's right!". They will all think the opposite, even if they initially agreed with your stance. You will be doing more harm than good if you go through with this.

+1. Somehow it just doesn't seem appropriate.

Chriss

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I generally say nothing about these events because I respect Rack and the PP and take great pleasure in the reports of their successes since I am never available to participate. However I come from lurkerdom to simply state that, despite a message of truth and quiet respect during this event, I fear the media and the liberal loons will portray this as a Westboro-type protest and react badly. That being said, I support the PP and this effort without reservation and think it should go forward. This will definitely devolve into a gun control event not "Freedom of the Press" I just hope my concerns do not materialize fully.

A message might include "what if the lady who charged the shooter has been armed"? Might the outcome been different? Liberals hate guns til they need one.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD

+1. Somehow it just doesn't seem appropriate.

In the Patriot Picket, our core leadership will roundtable the pluses and minuses of our work and come to a "go-no go" decision.

We were faced with this same scenario with the huge "March For Our Lives" event in downtown DC four months ago. Our consensus was that the organizers veered away from a memorializing "school safety" rally and instead created a pure "gun hate" event, prompting our decision to conduct a sober and low-key "Truth Squad" demonstration of our own.

It was done to show that "gun safety" is a discussion with TWO SIDES. Our aim was to have our low-key Patriot Picket interactions captured by any media present to underscore this point that school safety involves so many more aspects than staking GUN FREE ZONE signs everywhere.

We succeeded in our objective because we received broadcast TV coverage as well as having our dialogues and interactions featured in many YouTube productions that are seen by both sides of the political spectrum.

OK, now let's talk about this upcoming Annapolis event. The Annapolis mayor is a Australian super lib, and is surrounded by MANY agitated Leftists. I know this because of living in Annapolis.

The Mayor and his cronies have torqued the conclusions about a mentally ill man with a PARTICULAR grievance against the Capital Gazette into this killer being a Trump-infused hater of "fake news".

In the link below you can see the concert organizers have warped this event from a benefit for the families of those lost into one where the theme is "Illegitimate Trump Threatens Freedom of the Press".

https://www.eyeonannapolis.net/2018/07/benefit-concert-details-are-beginning-to-emerge/

The best evidence of that is that a prominent speaking position has been set aside for celebrity Trump-hater Joy Behar of the rabidly liberal TV show, "The View", as well as gun-hating TV host Jordan Klepper.

We have to wonder if the families of those lost are totally on board with their benefit concert being hijacked to attack political opponents of the Mayor and his cronies.

We certainly respect any initiative to honor the people whose lives were taken, and to collect funds to help their families.

However, when the organizers turn this into a political rally, too, as they undoubtedly have, then we hear the call to offer to discuss the "personal protection" issue in a respectful and somber way.

Our appearance at this POLITICAL event will not be to confront, but to make ourselves available to discuss the issues they are bringing up.

Attachments

• E5B6690F-5F49-4EFF-AE9E-5C982841CF7A.jpg
      E5B6690F-5F49-4EFF-AE9E-5C982841CF7A.jpg
      41.1 KB · Views: 1,127
    • 145053B2-F8FA-4F4D-B350-B8B64717486D.jpg
      145053B2-F8FA-4F4D-B350-B8B64717486D.jpg
      55.9 KB · Views: 1,119
    • 9D67EC69-420E-4630-9356-237F708A145C.jpg
      9D67EC69-420E-4630-9356-237F708A145C.jpg
      13.8 KB · Views: 1,100
    Last edited:

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I generally say nothing about these events because I respect Rack and the PP and take great pleasure in the reports of their successes since I am never available to participate. However I come from lurkerdom to simply state that, despite a message of truth and quiet respect during this event, I fear the media and the liberal loons will portray this as a Westboro-type protest and react badly. That being said, I support the PP and this effort without reservation and think it should go forward. This will definitely devolve into a gun control event not "Freedom of the Press" I just hope my concerns do not materialize fully.

A message might include "what if the lady who charged the shooter has been armed"? Might the outcome been different? Liberals hate guns til they need one.

These "Westboro protests" allusions continue to come from folks who, to the best of my recollection, have never stood with us to know how we present ourselves.

I reject the "Westboro" label because that group is known for the MOST HATEFUL SIGNS as well as SCREAMING at the top of their lungs at people attending funerals.

We don't do that, and it wrong to suggest that we do.

The Patriot Picket does not appear at any these "memorializing" events with "You're Going To Hell!!" signs. We stand with signs that support the Bill of Rights and the Constitution and, and in conversational voices, offer "the other side" to pure “gun grabbing" and "gun-free zone" ideas.

We attend POLITICAL events, even when there is an attempt to cloak them as pure memorial gatherings.

Chriss

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    These "Westboro protests" allusions continue to come from folks who, to the best of my recollection, have never stood with us to know how we present ourselves.

I reject the Westboro label because that group is known for the MOST HATEFUL SIGNS as well as SCREAMING at the top of their lungs at people attending funerals.

The Patriot Picket does not appear at any these "memorializing" events with "You're Going To Hell!!" signs. We stand with signs that support the Bill of Rights and the Constitution and, and in conversational voices, offer "the other side" to pure “gun grabbing" and "gun-free zone" ideas.

We attend POLITICAL events, even when there is an attempt to cloak them as pure memorial gatherings.

Jeff,

Never meant to insinuate that every PP event is anything but polite and respectful. I was simply giving voice to my mental images of how the liberal loons and their media whores will paint it given the alleged "memorial" nature of the event despite the clear political overtones taking shape.

Please accept my apologies for giving any other impression.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    If it really was just a memorial, it'd be in poor taste. But if the other side is going to politicize it (and you KNOW they will), they have opened the door.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    In the Patriot Picket, our core leadership will roundtable the pluses and minuses of our work and come to a "go-no go" decision.

We were faced with this same scenario with the huge "March For Our Lives" event in downtown DC four months ago. Our consensus was that the organizers veered away from a memorializing "school safety" rally and instead created a pure "gun hate" event, prompting our decision to conduct a sober and low-key "Truth Squad" demonstration of our own.

A memorial fundraiser is NOT the same as a political rally, no matter how political its organizers make it. If they make it political, then THEY will be the sole owners of that, and they will be wrong. You are setting your self up for failure with this one.

I reject the "Westboro" label because that group is known for the MOST HATEFUL SIGNS as well as SCREAMING at the top of their lungs at people attending funerals.

This is the third person that I've seen reference WBC as a result of this thread, myself included. Nobody is saying that you guys are disrespectful, but look at it this way: If you would demonstrate at a memorial, then you are only one step away from demonstrating at a funeral. Like it or not, that's a fact, and that is the correlation multiple people now have seen. Memorials can be politicized, as you have already said. Funerals can be too. It doesn't make it tasteful, and it doesn't make it OK to offer a differing opinion.

No matter what signs you hold up or what message comes across your lips, you are entering dangerous territory, where you will certainly do more harm than good.

A memorial fundraiser is NOT the same as a political rally, no matter how political its organizers make it. If they make it political, then THEY will be the sole owners of that, and they will be wrong. You are setting your self up for failure with this one.

This is the third person that I've seen reference WBC as a result of this thread, myself included. Nobody is saying that you guys are disrespectful, but look at it this way: If you would demonstrate at a memorial, then you are only one step away from demonstrating at a funeral. Like it or not, that's a fact, and that is the correlation multiple people now have seen. Memorials can be politicized, as you have already said. Funerals can be too. It doesn't make it tasteful, and it doesn't make it OK to offer a differing opinion.

No matter what signs you hold up or what message comes across your lips, you are entering dangerous territory, where you will certainly do more harm than good.

This is my concern as well. Intent vs. public impression.
    IAAPPM

Library Guy

Library Marksmanship Unit
    May 25, 2012
    R&R,

We have never met and I can think of no reason why my opinion should matter to you but here it is: Nothing good can come from this.

Semper Circa

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    There's been some discussion about protesting at a memorial...

Shortly after the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando, the PP stood silent watch at NRA headquarters in Fairfax, VA, with signs that listed the names of the lives that were lost. No politics, no shouting, no bullhorns, no aggressive posturing. Just a peaceful vigil to respect those who lost their lives.

The other group that was there turned the event into a three ring circus... literally. Clowns and bullhorns, loud music and more IIRC.

We have a history of being the good guys at most events, yet can stand up for our beliefs when it's appropriate. Our leaders are some of the gutsiest men I've ever known. But right now I urge the PP brain trust to give serious though to whether or not this particular event would be appropriate.

Yes, it's in our backyard. Yes, we can come up with a lot of factual reasons that this tragedy might have been prevented, or at least minimized by the presence of someone with proper training and a firearm. Yes, if the system had worked, the shooter would never have been able to have a firearm in the first place. We have the high ground, morally and logically. But in this particular venue, do the pros of showing up outweigh the cons?

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    This doesn't look like some kind of solemn "memorial" to me.

It's billed as a benefit concert with a so-called comedian, far-left journalist and a rock band.

You go, PP, on wings of steel.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    This doesn't look like some kind of solemn "memorial" to me.

It's billed as a benefit concert with a so-called comedian, far-left journalist and a rock band.

You go, PP, on wings of steel.

And a TRUMP-HATING comedian at that, who’s only “material” consists of bitter critiques of conservatives and insanely angry outbursts about the President.

No, I am seeing a festival atmosphere, too, and I am seeing that the Leftist Annapolis mayor and his cronies have deliberately warped this into a political event.

So, to folks who think ANY Patriot Picket presence is negative, are you willing to attend this event if we withdraw and OBJECT LOUDLY (AND BOO) anyone on stage who engages in political rants and Trump bashing at a “non-political benefit concert”?

Are you stepping up to object to this political BS?

mickeyk9

Member Lives Matter
    Aug 18, 2011
    quantum spins
    I guess I'm in the minority here as well because I think this is worthy opportunity. I'm scheduled to work that weekend but if anything changes I'll be there along with Mick Jr. to support a cause that I firmly believe in. If we can be detracted by the notion that we shouldn't be somewhere based on suitability, then it will slowly evolve into every location & every time being unsuitable. Just my 2 pence.

And a TRUMP-HATING comedian at that, who’s only “material” consists of bitter critiques of conservatives and insanely angry outbursts about the President.

No, I am seeing a festival atmosphere, too, and I am seeing that the Leftist Annapolis mayor and his cronies have deliberately warped this into a political event.

So, to folks who think ANY Patriot Picket presence is negative, are you willing to attend this event if we withdraw and OBJECT LOUDLY (AND BOO) anyone on stage who engages in political rants and Trump bashing at a “non-political benefit concert”?

Are you stepping up to object to this political BS?

To elaborate on my concern, I fear that no matter what The PP does at this event, the media and attendees will find a way to twist it into "Right wing gun nuts __________ at vigil and fundraiser for victims of gun violence". I can't think of any scenario in which The PP will appear to be good guys and gals doing the right thing to those reporting on it.
    There could be a full blown leftist shitshow doing every inhumane act known to man. I believe those acts will be ignored and the polite dissent of The PP will be twisted into something it isn't.
    At a venue that is "claimed" to be a vigil and fundraiser, it will be easy to twist the stance of those who disagree.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Message should include that the 2nd "A" can and should protect the 1st "A" and the protection of all fundamental rights should be mutual.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    We will use a combination of our “vigil presence” and “Truth Squad” posture and only engage folks if they are curious or have questions.

The Patriot Picket creed (besides “we don’t need no stinkin’ badges”) is that we don’t allow Liberal angst and fury to bully us into the shadows until they “feel we can be present”.

The more they succeed in having us question our right to be in public, the more they win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom