• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Only good quality when new? When do they start to take a crap?

Call me stupid, but how's the front trunnion prevent double stack conversion?

They go to crap after going through a couple civil wars, yours is new and should last forever as long as you clean it and oil it. I assume he was talking about the yugos built on parts kits from the wars

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    They go to crap after going through a couple civil wars, yours is new and should last forever as long as you clean it and oil it. I assume he was talking about the yugos built on parts kits from the wars

Ah okay. I thought AK's are rugged enough to handle most stuff? I'm not dropping it in sand and water... :lol2:

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    So regarding oiling this thing, I presume I do it this way?

1. Remove dust cover.
    2. Take out spring, and oil it.
    3. Take out gas tube and oil the OUTSIDE of it.
    4. Oil the hammer and the rest of the inside moving parts.

Oil with paper towel and gun oil?

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    So regarding oiling this thing, I presume I do it this way?

1. Remove dust cover.
    2. Take out spring, and oil it.
    3. Take out gas tube and oil the OUTSIDE of it.
    4. Oil the hammer and the rest of the inside moving parts.

Oil with paper towel and gun oil?

I use grease for the rail where the bolt rides and oil everything else. If you get any corrosive ammo spray Windex down the bore and bolt face, dry or use wd40 to remove moisture after that, then use cleaner/lube and remember to clean the gas tube. And another thing, don't listen to people who say "you don't need to clean an AK" thats just laziness

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008

No, not stupid, but some of the Zastava new AKs have a narrower space between the front trunion so they can only accomodate the narrower magazine. Remember, the front tab on the AK mag fits in the ledge, gap, whatever of the front trunnion.

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    I use grease for the rail where the bolt rides and oil everything else. If you get any corrosive ammo spray Windex down the bore and bolt face, dry or use wd40 to remove moisture after that, then use cleaner/lube and remember to clean the gas tube. And another thing, don't listen to people who say "you don't need to clean an AK" thats just laziness

Well I have Hoppe's 9 gun oil. Greasing up everything with that should do it, and running a patch down the barrel after shooting to top it off?

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD

As pointed out, many of the Yugos here in the US are made from used parts and used or us made barrels. Many were built here in the US with very worn barrels. Yours is factory direct, brand spanking new, it probably still has that new gun smell.

The yugo pap trunnion is too narrow inside to fit a double stack mag, even after opening just the magwell. Its something that needs to be done on a mill. It also may need to be milled on the top or have a bullet guide installed, to feed rounds from left and right instead of from the center. Your PAP bolt is narrow enough to fit between the feed lips of a single stack mag, double stack bolts are wider to feed from the sides, replacing the bolt can be tricky, and more expensive if there are headspace issues. I'm not sure if its necessary though.

Double stack conversions on romanian guns only involve milling open the magwell sheet metal, and adding US made parts. I'm posting this more as a reference to other posters here that were wondering about it, not to discourage you.

Its doable, but i'm not sure its $140 doable, unless you are a machinist yourself, or really good at building ak rifles.

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    As pointed out, many of the Yugos here in the US are made from used parts and used or us made barrels. Many were built here in the US with very worn barrels. Yours is factory direct, brand spanking new, it probably still has that new gun smell.

The yugo pap trunnion is too narrow inside to fit a double stack mag, even after opening just the magwell. Its something that needs to be done on a mill. It also may need to be milled on the top or have a bullet guide installed, to feed rounds from left and right instead of from the center. Your PAP bolt is narrow enough to fit between the feed lips of a single stack mag, double stack bolts are wider to feed from the sides, replacing the bolt can be tricky, and more expensive if there are headspace issues. I'm not sure if its necessary though.

Double stack conversions on romanian guns only involve milling open the magwell sheet metal, and adding US made parts. I'm posting this more as a reference to other posters here that were wondering about it, not to discourage you.

Its doable, but i'm not sure its $140 doable, unless you are a machinist yourself, or really good at building ak rifles.

Yeah I know this one's brand new. The ticket in the box (written in Serbian) says it was manufactured 6/28/11.

Regarding widening the mag well cost, just repeating what I heard... But I guess if I hear signs of an economic collapse I'll buy a WASR.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    So can I get a muzzle break for this thing? Or are addons limited because this isn't a standard AK build?

The only thing you could do really is weld on a 1x28 LH brake like a lot of people do with post-ban AK's to make them look more authentic. The barrel is too thin and narrow to do a proper thread job.

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    The only thing you could do really is weld on a 1x28 LH brake like a lot of people do with post-ban AK's to make them look more authentic. The barrel is too thin and narrow to do a proper thread job.

Yeah...kinda had a feeling. Anything else I can do to this thing? Tactical foregrip??????

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Stop calling it a "thing"

the AK is one of the finest battle weapons made in its time and over 100M of them made, its deserves its rightful respect in firearms history :thumbsup:

Hi Point is a "thing" but certainly not an AK

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So, call me naive, but how am I running into 922r issues then?
    Your gun currently has zero evil features as defined by 922r - no PG, no threaded muzzle, no ability to take "high-cap" mags, etc. When you start modifying that bad boy for double stack magazines, you are getting into 922r territory.

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    Your gun currently has zero evil features as defined by 922r - no PG, no threaded muzzle, no ability to take "high-cap" mags, etc. When you start modifying that bad boy for double stack magazines, you are getting into 922r territory.

Lol evil features. :lol2:

Well, how would one mount a vertical foregrip on this thing? I'm looking on ak47accessories.com and I don't know what to get.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun

+1
    its a true import.....all the parts are Zastava. You can't just change one or 2 parts. once you start making one mod you'll have to do 922r conversion and turn your rifle into a mutt. but that you're choice to make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom