• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    please let us know what you think about your new upper evo. I'm in the exact same boat as you it seems. I fail to see the point of spending upwards of 1k for a pistol upper assembly, and I came across radical firearms and then searched here.

This. One thing for sure is, the sig brace has imo been the biggest factor for the ar pistol Renaissance

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Will do Dave. I have all my parts for my AR pistol build ordered. I can't fill out papers on my lower for another 2 weeks, but hopefully I'll have all my parts in time for the lower. I will post up pictures of the upper when it comes in for you

Honestly, I would never of built an AR pistol if it wasn't for the sig brace. Hopefully the ATF doesn't change it's mind on it

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    The sig brace isn't a game changer for me. I've wanted a pistol since I first saw one. I just think it would be fun to shoot, and I'm not interested in it being an accurate weapon.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    The sig brace isn't a game changer for me. I've wanted a pistol since I first saw one. I just think it would be fun to shoot, and I'm not interested in it being an accurate weapon.

i heartily recommend a brake on an ar pistol. 5.56 doesn't seem to have too much recoil....till you shoot it with massive blast and no shoulder support. ;)

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    If you where building an upper from scratch what would be your build list?
    I just finished building an 80% lower, so an upper would be another learning experience.

In short much of your shopping list is subjective and purpose driven. People building a match grade AR ar looking for heavy quality parts. The heavier the better. Rigidity is king and with mass comes rigidity. Whereas pistol or carbine shoppers are looking to save as much weight as possible whilst maintaining quality.

To build a upper you would need:

Upper receiver - I use flattops for versatility. They can be used with a scope acog,red dot or flip ups or even a detachable carry handle irons. be sure to match the receiver feed ramps to the barrel. M4 feed ramps to m4 feed ramped barrels rifle to rifle barrels. This is clearly stated on barrel and upper receivers.

BCG (Bolt Carrier Group) IMO there is no reason to buy seperate bolts and carriers (for most conventional means) If you are going match buy an m16 bolt carrier because they are heavier, carbine or pistol go for an ar reduced profile carrier because they are lighter.

Barrel - a couple of points to be concerned with. Quality, twist rate, Chambering, feed ramps and material. Match go for Stainless bull profile with 1:7 twist .223 5.56 or wylde chambering and m4 feed feed ramps. Carbine or pistol go with steel pencil or standard chrome lined 1:9 .223 5.56 or wylde with m4 feed ramps.

Hand Guards - Highly subjective. For match I would go with a UTG Quad free float. They are heavy and well made and to boot CHEAP! For pistol or carbine I would be very selective. Keep the hand guard just long enough to cover the gas tube. Spend some money here, the better the hand guard generally the less they weigh. Ounces to pounds.

Gas block - If you want cheap just buy a Front sight block. Plentiful and cheap. if you are planning on using UNMAGNIFIED optics you might prefer to get a low profile gas block that will sit within the handguard or just at the end of it. Another option is to get a sight block with a rail mount and place a flip up on top of it. This is done if the hand guards selected are of the round railless type. When selecting a Gas block be sure you get a sight block that matches the diameter of the barrel at the gas port.

Gas tube. Buy the appropriate sized gas tube.

Charging handle - unless you are left handed a standard charging handle should work just fine.

If you are going gas piston most of this all changes.

Hope this helps. its really not hard to build an upper at all. if you put together your lower, the hardest part is done.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    Hope this helps. its really not hard to build an upper at all. if you put together your lower, the hardest part is done.

not entirely true. sometimes, even when ordering all quality parts, sometimes shit just doesn't want to go together. I ended up having to get Chad to finish my AR because the barrel was out of spec and I couldn't get the nut on.

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    not entirely true. sometimes, even when ordering all quality parts, sometimes shit just doesn't want to go together. I ended up having to get Chad to finish my AR because the barrel was out of spec and I couldn't get the nut on.

I suppose. This would be the exception and not the rule I would think. At least in my experience.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    Maybe I'll try doing it again, but for my first experience, it really left a sour taste in my mouth lol. Told myself it was assembled uppers from then on out.

Roadhawg

Bee Farmer
    Jul 18, 2014
    Free America

Thanks for the insight. I already have lower that I completed from an 80%.
    I guess I need to look more seriously at building my own upper. I sort of have the same thought as Evojoeix and start with a ready made upper and then work up from there.

baltech

Feb 23, 2013
    In short much of your shopping list is subjective and purpose driven. People building a match grade AR ar looking for heavy quality parts. The heavier the better. Rigidity is king and with mass comes rigidity. Whereas pistol or carbine shoppers are looking to save as much weight as possible whilst maintaining quality.

To build a upper you would need:

Upper receiver - I use flattops for versatility. They can be used with a scope acog,red dot or flip ups or even a detachable carry handle irons. be sure to match the receiver feed ramps to the barrel. M4 feed ramps to m4 feed ramped barrels rifle to rifle barrels. This is clearly stated on barrel and upper receivers.

BCG (Bolt Carrier Group) IMO there is no reason to buy seperate bolts and carriers (for most conventional means) If you are going match buy an m16 bolt carrier because they are heavier, carbine or pistol go for an ar reduced profile carrier because they are lighter.

Barrel - a couple of points to be concerned with. Quality, twist rate, Chambering, feed ramps and material. Match go for Stainless bull profile with 1:7 twist .223 5.56 or wylde chambering and m4 feed feed ramps. Carbine or pistol go with steel pencil or standard chrome lined 1:9 .223 5.56 or wylde with m4 feed ramps.

Hand Guards - Highly subjective. For match I would go with a UTG Quad free float. They are heavy and well made and to boot CHEAP! For pistol or carbine I would be very selective. Keep the hand guard just long enough to cover the gas tube. Spend some money here, the better the hand guard generally the less they weigh. Ounces to pounds.

Gas block - If you want cheap just buy a Front sight block. Plentiful and cheap. if you are planning on using UNMAGNIFIED optics you might prefer to get a low profile gas block that will sit within the handguard or just at the end of it. Another option is to get a sight block with a rail mount and place a flip up on top of it. This is done if the hand guards selected are of the round railless type. When selecting a Gas block be sure you get a sight block that matches the diameter of the barrel at the gas port.

Gas tube. Buy the appropriate sized gas tube.

Charging handle - unless you are left handed a standard charging handle should work just fine.

If you are going gas piston most of this all changes.

Thanks, good info here. Subscribed.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    So I'm looking at one of these also. Specifically, this:

http://www.radicalfirearms.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RFUpperV1.0.105300

My intention is to suppress it, but I don't know much about the caliber or cans. I would keep it as a pistol, but want to make sure it will cycle properly with subsonic loads. Thoughts? Will this fit the bill assuming I use an appropriate buffer? I guess my main concern is the length of the barrel and gas tube…I have zero interest in this caliber if I can't run it suppressed with subsonic loads. Plenty of cheaper .30 cal options, and I already have plenty of x39 toys.

Thanks!

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    I too took the chance with a Hardened Arms upper in 300 BO. They've been selling on GB for a while now and seem to have a good rep. I will be test firing this new toy with subs soon. Also have a PSA 12" 300 BO. Both with pistol gas system.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
      photo 2.jpg
      70.3 KB · Views: 479
    • P1030871.jpg
      P1030871.jpg
      82.2 KB · Views: 451

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    ^thats the same color scheme I was going for on my pistol. Both guns look awesome

Thanks, they are the same pistol (8" barrel). I added the rail covers and AFG yesterday and took the can off for the pic. The 12" upper is in a box. Both will be function tested tomorrow. Will probably put the Aimpoint on the 8" and move the Bushnell RDS to the .22.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom