• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnCard

Jan 15, 2013
    I'm an MD resident trying to get an AR before Annapolis changes the law. My research so far indicates that the Colt AR-15 H-BAR Sporter is not a regulated weapon. I'd appreciate the community's help in answering some other questions:

1. I know that FFLs in other states (e.g. Virginia) must comply with MD law or ship to an MD FFL when selling a MD regulated weapon. What about non-regulated weapons - would a VA store sell me a non-regulated shotgun for cash, on the spot? What about a Sporter?

2. Putting aside the legal issues (I assume that placing a non-HBAR barrel on an HBAR Sporter makes it a regulated weapon), are there any technical problems with replacing the HBAR barrel with a lighter barrel down the road?

3. I'm seeing conflicting opinions about whether any non-Colt rifles fall under the statutory exception. I've read reports of some FFLs treating non-Colt HBARs as regulated, others as not. I assume that for private sellers as well, it depends on if they (and the buyer) want to take the risk. Is that accurate?

4. OK, so HBAR might be marked on barrels and the receiver. To be a non-regulated weapon, the receiver must be [a Colt and] marked HBAR and the barrel must BE an HBAR, though it need not be marked that way (However, some FFLs will require the barrel to be marked HBAR)?

5. What is the difference between a Colt Sporter and other AR-15s? Is it just the HBAR? Are there physical and or mechanical differences between an HBAR/Sporter receiver and other receivers?

Thanks

highwayheat

highwayheat
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ceciltucky
    Maryland law states you may purchase a non-regulated long gun in any state that that borders Maryland (DE, PA, VA, WV). As far as the dealer in another state selling you a Colt H-bar or copy, it may be at their discretion or interpretation of the laws of MD. A H-Bar as it stands, whether it is a Colt or copy is non-regulated. I have a Colt AR-15 A3 tactical carbine with adjustable buttstock, pistol grip, and flash suppressor. I purchased it at a gun show in PG County. After a NCIS background check it was cash and carry. As long as the H-Bar upper is sold with the lower as a complete rifle it is considered non-regulated. My barrel is marked H-Bar, but the lower is not. If you buy just a lower or a complete rifle with the a M4 or grenade launcher cut out on the barrel it is considered regulated. The law makes no sense since the only difference would be the barrel profile. Everything else as far as function is the same.

zyo81

Jan 6, 2013
    Just this weekend I found a colt hbar per an in 7.62x39. It was in Richmond. Dealer refused to sell to md. I told him hbar is cash and carry in my state, he said "we still prefer not to sell to md". My buddies had the same problem at another show with a Mosins nagant and a ruger 10/22

285ferrari

Dec 7, 2012
    Waldorf
    Maryland law states you may purchase a non-regulated long gun in any state that that borders Maryland (DE, PA, VA, WV). As far as the dealer in another state selling you a Colt H-bar or copy, it may be at their discretion or interpretation of the laws of MD. .
    Md law SPECIFICALLY states a Colt HBAR is non-regulated. Copies are regulated. If you follow the letter of the law, it MUST be a Colt HBAR, no exceptions. A ruling was made by MSP on this exact question and that is what they said. A (fill in any of maker of a AR) gun with a HBAR stamped on the barrel does not make it non-regulated.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    my buddy bought a bushmaster marked HBAR as unregulated, and that was not at the discretion of the FFL in question.

The FFL honestly didn't know, so called the MSP, who told him if it says HBAR on the barrel, and the profile of the barrel is in fact an HBAR, and that the rifle is sold complete, it's cash and carry.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Md law SPECIFICALLY states a Colt HBAR is non-regulated. Copies are regulated. If you follow the letter of the law, it MUST be a Colt HBAR, no exceptions. A ruling was made by MSP on this exact question and that is what they said. A (fill in any of maker of a AR) gun with a HBAR stamped on the barrel does not make it non-regulated.
    285ferrari is online now Report Post Reply With Quote

Misinformation. Call the MSP Licensing Division they will tell you otherwise. As long as it's an HBAR, the MSP treats it as unregulated; marked as so or not.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

Untold tens of thousands of non-regulated non-Colt HBAR purchases in MD prove you wrong. All AR-15 HBAR rifles sold in MD are non-regulated cash and carry.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    if a lower is marked "HBAR" but has a different upper, its not an HBAR?:cool:

Justin B.C.

Walken is a scary clown!!
    Dec 25, 2012
    My wife bought a Bushmaster HBAR not a week ago, cash and carry. Dealer at 2A stated that as long as it was HBAR, it was GTG.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    HBAR Barrel on a non HBAR Lower? Regulated or Non Regulated?

Non-regulated, assuming it was originally sold that way. Makes zero difference what the lower says.

For the standpoint of the law, there's no such beast as an HBAR lower.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    isnt the lower the regulated part?

Not if you read the law. Lowers, technically, are NOT regulated.

MD law is quite specific, specified assault weapons and handguns (as defined as a weapon with a barrel of less than 16") are regulated. Receivers are NOT assault weapons and NOT handguns.

Not regulated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom