• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I have not received the stamp yet. I am still waiting.

I don't know why everyone is waiting so long. I went to the post office and got a whole book of stamps. You guys paid $200 for each one of these.....

I don't get it.... :rolleyes:

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I was considering doing a form 1 to make my own can, but is the wait really close to a year right now?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I was considering doing a form 1 to make my own can, but is the wait really close to a year right now?

I would say the times are 11 -13 months at this time. But you would hopefully have less of a wait if you submit a Form1 now. How long if submitted now? Who knows?

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I submitted my Trust Form 4 in early April. In the 4 months since, the ATF wait has advanced 5 weeks. I don't expect to be able to bring mine home until late next Spring, unless the HPA passes in the Sportsmen's Omnibus Bill.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Slow day at work allowed me to look this up:
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/texassilencers/posts/?ref=page_internal

The ATF announced this week that they have implemented an improved electronic approval process for the transfer of silencers from manufacturers to dealers. This has resulted in the time required to conduct the transfer between manufacturer and dealer dropping from a couple months down to a couple days. The exciting part of this improvement is that this new process has freed up the efforts of a large number of ATF examiners to focus their time on approving the transfer of silencers from dealers to individual customers. This means that you, the customer, will receive your approved Form 4 and tax stamp much faster than before.
    The ATF's estimate is that customers who buy a silencer today will receive their tax stamp in five to six months, as opposed to the previous wait time of around one year. We had expected the ATF to announce the current wait time to be closer to 3-4 months, but they may be choosing to be more cautious in their estimates made to the public. We will closely watch wait times and report what we find here.
    In addition, the ATF let us know that they have increased the number of hours each examiner is authorized to dedicate to processing customer form 4 transfers (tax stamps). They are working 7 days a week to get silencers into the hands of buyers, and they will be hiring additional examiners in order to process transfers even faster.
    In our conversations with the ATF we are hearing an exciting change, from upper leadership on down, in how they see their role in the silencer industry. They are not just devoted to insuring that customer transfers are conducted lawfully, they are truly seeing their role as insuring that these legal transfers are conducted quickly.
    This drop in wait times and this dedication by the ATF to continually improve the transfer process for customers creates a very exciting prospect for the future of silencer ownership in America. We will be watching wait times, and continuing our communication with the ATF, and we will posting what we learn here.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I happened to have a Griffin Armament Optimus on backorder at Silencer Shop that came back into stock the same day BATFE announced this change. FWIW Silencer Shop updated the Form 3 transfer from submitted to approved the next day. Of course they have been allowed to submit simultaneous Form 3s and Form 4s for awhile (or so I read), and they may have done that anticipating quick approval, but it made me happy. I am more interested in the increased time agents are allowed to spend on Form 4s now. I really hope it does speed things up.

cokebuck

Don't Re-Member
    Apr 1, 2016
    That would be something if the wait times really do come down to 3-4 months.
    There would be cause for celebration, like going out and buying a couple of cans.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    They only mention cans, what about form 4's for guns?

I also won't be holding my breath on reduced wait times. 5-6 months if I file today? i'll be happy if I get my MAC within 5-6 months and it was filed 7 months ago.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    They only mention cans, what about form 4's for guns?

I also won't be holding my breath on reduced wait times. 5-6 months if I file today? i'll be happy if I get my MAC within 5-6 months and it was filed 7 months ago.

From what I could find, the new division is for Cans and Short Barreled weapons/AOWs.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    My precious:D

Attachments

• 20170812_115730.jpg
      20170812_115730.jpg
      58.1 KB · Views: 1,371

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics