• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Smalls

Mar 24, 2017
    Queen Anne's
    So I picked up a no5 mk1 a couple years ago to add to the collection. It's been sitting in my safe since. When I bought it from the dealer he told me that it was " never shot, never issued". I don't know if that's believeable or not. But it looked awesome anyway. The numbers all match, made in 1947. So what I'm asking is, can any of the experts on here help me out? What markings should I look for? I've read that there is some fakes out there. Thanks for any help you can give.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Hey PM me your email and I will send you a PDf of a Article that has all you need to know about your carbine.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Since no real Enfield experts have commented yet, I'll say there are some unissued Rifle Number Four Mark Twos out there, and this could be one. Photos would help.

The Brits wrapped some of these No.4 Mk.IIs in preservative paper and put them in long term storage, then later sold them as surplus. You see them sometimes still in the wrap - big bundles of paper jealously horded by collectors, who won't unwrap them for fear of lowering their resale value.

But others are unwrapped, and the OPs could be one of them. Or it could be an issued No.4 Mk. II in really good condition, or a No. 4 Mk. I that has been refurbished, or maybe even an antique Long Lee Metford for all we know. We need pictures and more information!

Mr.Smalls

Mar 24, 2017
    Queen Anne's
    Thank you PGTMG and Tankfxer for the articles and help. If I follow the bullet points in the article from Tankfxer, I have an original no.5 and I will post pics as soon as possible.

Feb 28, 2013
    Well, my No 4 mk 1 went to Fazakerly in '48, I'm guessin' for a refurb or whatever they do. Couldn't pin down a year if mfg for it.

I wondered if his had a similar deal.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Well, my No 4 mk 1 went to Fazakerly in '48, I'm guessin' for a refurb or whatever they do. Couldn't pin down a year if mfg for it.

I wondered if his had a similar deal.

Fazakerley was still making the No 4 Mk 1 in '48. March 31 1949 the No 4 Mk 2 was introduced. If she was refurb the left side of the receiver woul be marked like No4 Mk1 (F) FTR. Or /52 No4 Mk 1/3 (F) FTR so in 1952 she was upgraded to Mk1/3.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    From The Lee-Enfield (Skennerton) page 567 Brit No 4 factory production (war time) are all Mk I configuration and use five numbers after successive letter prefixes. ROF Maltby numbers start with "1", ROF Fazakerley numbers start with "2", and BSA Shirley with "3". Exception to this generality is early Shirley production which ran Axxxx - Zxxxx, with only 4 numbers.

Upgrades to "hung trigger" No 4 MkI/2 and MkI/3 retained the original serial numbers. They were usually engraved on the body again during the ROF(F) conversion.

Now, Indian and Pakistani rebuilds will scrub most if not all original manufacture and proof marks.

Feb 28, 2013

Attachments

• IMG_0565.JPG
      IMG_0565.JPG
      73.5 KB · Views: 178
    Feb 28, 2013
    That says BA then the serial no. Ain't a whole heluva lot on it.

Then there's this, down on the strap where the sling swivel attaches....

Attachments

• IMG_5717.jpg
      IMG_5717.jpg
      49.1 KB · Views: 163

Mr.Smalls

Mar 24, 2017
    Queen Anne's
    I am having trouble uploading pictures right now but I will be at the Howard county gun show on Saturday. I'll have it with me if anyone wants to take a look. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom