• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    I think I'm going to get one. Dog got attacked a couple nights ago by a loose dog that also got a piece of my hand and it sucked not having anything handy to dissuade the dog from attacking or breaking it up. Looking at the S&W 12" one.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    I think I'm going to get one. Dog got attacked a couple nights ago by a loose dog that also got a piece of my hand and it sucked not having anything handy to dissuade the dog from attacking or breaking it up. Looking at the S&W 12" one.
    Look at 16" or longer. You will want the leverage and strike power. Take a class / practice drawing, expanding and striking.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    12In is awfully small . If you're going to bother to have one at all , 16in is absolute minimum .

I'm sure you know, but the advertised nominal sizes are for expanded, not the collasped ( carrying mode ).

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Thanks for the advice. I was at "Ranger Surplus" in Vienna today and they had a Rothco 12" and 16" and the 16 even when collapsed seemed a bit large to carry around while walking the dog which is its primary intended purpose but maybe I'll give it another look.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Look at 16" or longer. You will want the leverage and strike power. Take a class / practice drawing, expanding and striking.

I absolutely agree.

Not going into the 'legal or not' question, but if you are going to carry one for walking the dog, get a longer reach and do get training.

However, unlike firearm training, which for beginners and many applications should be taken directly in person from an experienced and excellent instructor; baton training is possible to do (for the most part) with good video training with reinforcement.

Good luck!

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I would take note of the advice offered early on in the thread:
    Not sure of the legality, but I wouldn't. An ASP requires you to get up close and personal. If you have time to open it, you probably had time to come up with a better plan. Just my opinion.

Consider walking sticks or solid metal canes instead:they are already 'deployed' and less conspicuous. Ka-Bar Aluminum Cane, Black

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Yep walking down the street with a PR24 would draw attention to you real fast. Even if you had the training with it and got the training card as well the popo would still stop ya and have a little chat as well. Mabe even give you a nice peace of paying paper also not to mention taking your baton away as well...

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Not gonna lie, the only thing I ever use the ASP for is to scratch my back because it will reach nicely up behind the vest carrier. :lol2:

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Anyone know? I figured MD, being the "Free" State it is :rolleyes:, it would be illegal to carry. I would most likely carry it in my car, just in case I would ever need it. I saw a bunch for sale at the Nations Gun Show this past weekend.

21%2527_ASP_Baton.jpg

Need something to thump tires to check for flats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom