Avoiding the Roster via AOW - still working?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Once upon a time, you used to be able to avoid the handgun roster by paying your $5 transfer tax and transferring the gun as an AOW (presumably keeping a VFG on it forever). Does this still work, or has the MSP interpreted that out of existence?

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    First, the MSP fee is $10. I don't know if it used to be $5, but I wasn't buying guns in Maryland except for the last 15 years or so.

Second, an AOW would be an NFA item and not regulated by the state. If you're referring to an "other firearm", such as the Mossberg Cruiser, that is not regulated by the state either.

Maybe someone else who's been buying guns in Maryland longer than I could chime in with a better comparison of then and now. As far as I know, there is no way to bypass the Handgun Roster for handguns except for something manufactured before 1985.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    First, the MSP fee is $10. I don't know if it used to be $5, but I wasn't buying guns in Maryland except for the last 15 years or so.
    AOW transfer tax is $5. The MSP fee is irrelevant if not transferring as a handgun.

Second, an AOW would be an NFA item and not regulated by the state. If you're referring to an "other firearm", such as the Mossberg Cruiser, that is not regulated by the state either.
    This state most certainly regulates NFA items. They don't stop you from buying them, but that's not the same as no laws being on the books about them.

Maybe someone else who's been buying guns in Maryland longer than I could chime in with a better comparison of then and now. As far as I know, there is no way to bypass the Handgun Roster for handguns except for something manufactured before 1985.
    I'm talking about genuine NFA AOWs and whether the state regards those as handguns in some circumstances.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT

There is a confusing amount of misinformation here... The 26" OAL Mossberg and Remington are "Other" firearms federally, they are certainly handguns under MD law.

Last I heard, AOW with less than 16" barrel had to be on the roster. The roster board does not have the legal authority to deny a petition based on being an "Assault Pistol" but that has not stopped them in the past. There are specific arguments to make, but knowing what the actual petition is makes it a little easier to know how to argue it.

Usual scenario, they'll approve it with their illegal "Assault Pistol, LE only" language. Ultimately, it's up to the dealer to determine legality.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Last I heard, AOW with less than 16" barrel had to be on the roster. The roster board does not have the legal authority to deny a petition based on being an "Assault Pistol" but that has not stopped them in the past. There are specific arguments to make, but knowing what the actual petition is makes it a little easier to know how to argue it.
    I agree. I am specifically trying to figure out how to get an Uzi Pro Pistol into my hands legally. My suspicion is that making the handgun board and MSP understand that it is NOT a copy of the named Uzi pistol is going to be annoying, hence my looking into the AOW route. I want a UPP, but I don't know that I want it so bad that I want to lawyer up like that guy with the Norinco M14 had to.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    I misread the original post to be a Maryland thing, not an ATF thing.

Have you looked into Masterpiece Arms? Similar in style to the Uzi and on the roster.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I misread the original post to be a Maryland thing, not an ATF thing.
    It is specifically a "how Maryland treats NFA AOWs" thing.

Have you looked into Masterpiece Arms? Similar in style to the Uzi and on the roster.
    My collection interests are mostly in the area of Israeli firearms. I already own a full-auto M11/9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom