Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Recreational Shooting

Notices

Old April 3rd, 2017, 08:19 PM #161

shooting with a friend who hadn't been before out in the woods of his family home and he waived the barrel in front of me more than once.. still friends yes..shoot together again. not a chance
microstar22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 06:30 AM #162
Usual Suspect

Usual Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Not going after you, but this is why it always scares me when people, who are not trained in instructing, try to teach someone else.

Not just firearms, but especially with them.
yes.

most of the time if someone points a gun at you, while you are instructing them, you are to blame.
travistheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2017, 02:18 PM #163

Muzzle awareness and control are the most important aspect of firearms safety in my book.

Someone flags me more than once I walk away from the area. I'll give them one chance, after all it's my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2017, 02:53 PM #164
Abducted Cynic

Abducted Cynic

Had a woman walk into Fred's indoor range with what appeared to be a teenage son. Awesome.. until I heard "Are those real bullets!?" Then staff gave her the rundown about gun safety as she spun around with the firearm he handed her. Needless to say I packed up and rolled out in a hurry..
EndangeredMooseknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2017, 04:01 PM #165

For the OP, if you've been to the range in Blacksburg I've seen plenty of sketchy stuff there. Two that really stuck with me:

At the trap range, kid shooting shotgun, presumably grandpa throwing clays. Grandpa throws one straight up over our heads across the range, lands and doesn't break, kid grabs the shotgun in one hand holding it parallel to the ground and runs in front of us as the range is hot to pick up the clay, of course sweeping everyone with his loaded gun. I hope every time they go out again they remember the lecture we gave them.

On the rifle/pistol range, pretty crowded day, two guys who clearly just bought their first hi point start shooting as the range is cold and a few guys are finishing putting up targets down range a few lanes over. Range goes dead quiet as everyone realizes what happened. Old timer yells "get them outta here" and the guys down range tore them a new one. Although I generally liked that range sometimes I'm glad I don't go there anymore.

Had a conversation with the bus driver once too about how he was at the 100 yard burm and had some pistol shots land a few feet from him in the dirt. Scary stuff
Red1917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2017, 04:35 PM #166

I hope others like me that have limited experience with firearms have read through these posts. They serve as reminders to each of us, regardless of experience. Some great stories - fortunately most ended happily.
My first exposure to shooting was out west. Did some plinking on BLM land with my brother, Dad and stepson. No big deal. Brother is experienced and safe. Had a blast shooting mostly smaller caliber stuff, and I'm sure it was beginners luck but I outshot him.
My first experience at a range was a different story. I guess my friend thought I knew the basics about firearm and range rules. We hadn't talked about anything prior to entering the lanes. Of course I'm nervous, and with a hot 9mm Shield in my hand, I turn toward him to ask a question. Don't recall if I muzzled him or not, but it got his attention! And mine. Scared the holy hell out of me, and taught me a valuable lesson.
Last year, I asked my daughter if she'd like to go to the range. She's a Bernie gal and I figured "no way", but surprised me with sure - she'd love to.
I went to her house, and THERE we went over the do's and dont's. We went to the range, and had a great time. Preparation made a huge difference in her experience, and allowed me to relax - somewhat.
Inspector1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2017, 04:59 PM #167

With my prior permission, my friend/neighbor Kenny brought a guy from his church by to zero the guy's 12 ga. slug gun on my 50 and 100 yd benches out back. That went fine but i did notice a distinct "i know it all when it comes to guns" vibe from the guy. Honestly, there also seemed to be a bit of a dbagishness to him also, like we were lucky to have him there.

Whatever, you meet all types and the session went fine.

As we are helping him load his stuff into his truck, he wants to show us his new Glock.

Anyway, he pulls it out of the factory pistol case, and while he was apparently distracted with the process, with finger fully wrapped around the trigger, he points it directly at Kenny and me!

I got the hell out the way and put the bed of his truck between the muzzle and me as i did so and actually involuntarily swore in fear as i moved. I thought i was gonna catch a round for sure. Our "gun expert" had no clue.

Turns out it was unloaded. Thankfully. I did not yell or ream him out but he WILL NEVER use my range again thats for sure!

Mag Dump is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Recreational Shooting