Shipping Long Gun AND 10+ capacity magazines to Florida FFL?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Have a prospective buyer for a long gun I am selling. Asked if I could ship to Florida FFL, which I "assume" is fine, "assuming" this long gun is indeed also legal there.

Being that it's a legal rifle in Maryland, I would think it's pretty much legal ANYWHERE else in the USA :rolleyes: , but who knows...

I have read, during a search of this sub-forum, that a private party may ship, via USPS (or FEDEX) to an out of state FFL...although I think I'd prefer shipping FROM a MARYLAND FFL to their FLORIDA FFL, to cover myself as best as possible. :thumbsup:

Can I also ship, legally, a 30 & 75 round magazine with the rifle, assuming they are also LEGAL in FLORIDA?

Any suggestions on where/how to verify that,
    1. The Florida FFL is legitimate?, and...
    2. The rifle and magazines are legal to buy/own for a Florida resident?

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    You can ship it legally just fine, but you cannot even offer the mags for sale in MD.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Find out if FFL in Florida will accept shipment from a non-FFL. Some do and some don't not so much a legal issue as much as a business practice. Using FFL to FFL the receiving FFL knows that sellers ID information was all checked and some tracability as gun would be in bound book of MD FFL doing transfer to FL FFL. If the FL FFL will take direct shipment he will probably want copy of your ID and Bill of Sales. ID needed to enter into his bound book. FFL in FL will also know what he/she can and can't transfer so also worth that call. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    You can ship it legally just fine, but you cannot even offer the mags for sale in MD.

There isn't any offer of sale in Maryland. This is why I'm thinking an FFL to FFL deal is the best option. I know a Maryland FFL can accept, and ship, the magazines, 100% legally. I understand what you are saying though.

Find out if FFL in Florida will accept shipment from a non-FFL. Some do and some don't not so much a legal issue as much as a business practice. Using FFL to FFL the receiving FFL knows that sellers ID information was all checked and some tracability as gun would be in bound book of MD FFL doing transfer to FL FFL. If the FL FFL will take direct shipment he will probably want copy of your ID and Bill of Sales. ID needed to enter into his bound book. FFL in FL will also know what he/she can and can't transfer so also worth that call. Hope that helps.

It does indeed. Thanks. I think it will have to be FFL to FFL, and then we're both (buyer and seller) covered 100%, or should be...

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Now, I guess I need to find out if there's a way to confirm/verify that a USPS Money Order is real or not...

EDIT:
    Found and sharing info for the next person...

https://mois.usps.com/pls/pmoisnp/mois_external_pkg.main

How to Spot a Fake Money Order

There are several key things to look for when spotting a counterfeit money order.

Check the Dollar Amounts

The dollar amount is discolored. It may have been erased, indicating fraud (see 3).
    The dollar amount is not imprinted twice (see 4).
    The value of a domestic money order is larger than $1,000. The maximum value for domestic money orders is $1,000.

and the general info page...

https://www.usps.com/shop/money-orders.htm

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Now, I guess I need to find out if there's a way to confirm/verify that a USPS Money Order is real or not...
    Just go to post office but a bit later in day. They will actually cash it there as long as they have available funds ( why a bit later in day recommendation).

MoeMurrda

Feb 19, 2016
    I have a similar quandary; a friend has asked me to help her sell some gun stuff, including magazines that hold more than 10 rounds, that she recently inherited. Can I offer the high cap mags on say an online auction site where I will only be shipping them to a state that allows them, or am I just not allowed to sell those magazines out of MD regardless of their final destination?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    I have a similar quandary; a friend has asked me to help her sell some gun stuff, including magazines that hold more than 10 rounds, that she recently inherited. Can I offer the high cap mags on say an online auction site where I will only be shipping them to a state that allows them, or am I just not allowed to sell those magazines out of MD regardless of their final destination?

(b) A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than [20] 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

MoeMurrda

Feb 19, 2016
    (b) A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than [20] 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.
    Great, thank you for the clarification and the swift response

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom