• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    Me and a few guys are looking to catch the early yellow perch run this year. We are hoping to find a spot where we can tent camp nearby and launch our kayaks to get in on the fishing. It looks like camping at Tuckahoe isn't available until March 31st.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where we could camp and launch? Not very particular on eastern/western shore...as long as the perch are there.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Cant help you with the tent camping,but some of my best memories are with my dad many years ago ,fishing the yellow perch run.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    In terms of locations, I've had a lot of success in the creeks of the Lower Potomac fishing the rising tide. I've never fished for them anywhere else so I have basis for comparison, but I know you'll find perch there. Blood worms or Fish Bites synthetic blood worms are the way to go in my experience.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    The yellows are running in the Susquehanna under the 40 bridge. I'm not sure if camping is open at Susquehanna state park, but it's a great area to kayak and camp. I'd look into that option.

BTW I'm looking into buying a new fishing kayak. What kind of boat do you fish out of?

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    We're heading out to deep creek next weekend to do the same thing through the ice. Plenty of spots to catch them, it's the camping part that's hard.

letmeoutpax

Nov 12, 2013
    St. Mary's
    .... Plenty of spots to catch them, it's the camping part that's hard.

Couple of places with camping in St. Mary's: Pt. Lookout SP, and Dennis Point Marina. There are probably other marinas you could ask.

Two options for camping somewhere else: ask a landowner for permission, or stealth camp and leave no trace. There are obvious downsides to both but occasionally it works out.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    There's nice sized yellow perch as far up as Westernport at the papermill and probably further up, even caught some nice walleyes below the spillway there.

Wow,that really suprises me.I fished Point Of Rocks and Brunswick area lots of time years ago.We never caught any perch at all.Maybe they need cooler water than that area is.

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    Thanks for all of the feedback everyone! Still trying to figure out our plan. We might not be doing the kayaks as my brother, who is going with us, can't paddle now due to a shoulder injury.

BTW I'm looking into buying a new fishing kayak. What kind of boat do you fish out of?

I have a Jackson Cuda 12 and absolutely love it. The sit-on-tops are heavier than the sit-ins, but I really like fishing out of them. In flat water, standing up isn't a problem. The Cuda is pretty quick and tracks straight, but maneuverable enough in tighter areas for me. Haven't taken it above anything that might be considered class 2 rapids yet though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom