• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I would say away from the century built tantals, there are a bunch floating around with an incorrect twist rate which causes 5.45 to lose stability and keyhole. Wasrs are just modded by century, the tantals are built from scratch, by century, nuff said. I think a plain jane bulgarian 74 will run 600ish, Check centerfire and classic arms.

http://gun-deals.com/displaydeal.php?dealid=2809

Are these of any quality? Anyone else care to weigh in on the AK-74?

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD

squeky

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2007
    Frederick
    They are out of the wood stock rifles, but they have the bulgy 74's with plum furniture now, which is even cooler.

The brakes are tack wleded on, and the parts are non matching, thats why it is an affordable rifle.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=76&t=116228

Leave it to Centerfire not to even put who the builder is. Quite an important piece of information. Bulgarian parts are awesome (I built one from Bulgarian parts) and Nodakspud receivers are great too. If they built them horribly...well, that's just a shame because the rifles have a lot of potential.

As for AK-74s in general--fantastic rifles. I love mine. I'd take it over an AR-15 most days of the week :D (have both, just like the -74 better) It's plenty accurate enough, I've made some pretty good shots far out (250 yards) with it no problem.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Figured I'd dredge this back up instead of starting a new thread.

Since I'm already familiar with the Mini-14's operating system, what's the thoughts on the Mini-30? Does anyone make a reliable 20 round mag for it?

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun

Since I'm already familiar with the Mini-14's operating system, what's the thoughts on the Mini-30? Does anyone make a reliable 20 round mag for it?

I don't know too much about Mini 30's other than I plan on getting one someday. The Price of the Saiga IZ-132 7.62x39 has gone down. Classic Arms was selling them for $350 last week but looks like they are out. http://www.classicarms.us/ i've seen a few on Gunbrokers too.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    I don't know too much about Mini 30's other than I plan on getting one someday. The Price of the Saiga IZ-132 7.62x39 has gone down. Classic Arms was selling them for $350 last week but looks like they are out. http://www.classicarms.us/ i've seen a few on Gunbrokers too.

I still have a mini 30. With cast reloads it drives tacks. With surplus it holds minute of man. Why you ask? Ruger F'd the barrels. Ruger used .308 rifling instead of .311 that an AK and SKS use. So measure your surplus, 7.62x39 can run .308 - .312

As for mags, Ruger only made the five rounders. I have shoot tons of after markets. Some work and some don't.

I use mine for a bad weather deer gun. Works fine :D I have used it for crop work with HP Wolf + cheap 10 X scope = dead deer out to 250M.

You can google the Mini 14/30. Lots of Smiths offer upgrades to make the rifle a .50 MOA.

The downfall of the Mini's is the mags. If Ruger had used the M16 mag. The rifle would have a much bigger following. For now you can pay $30 for a 20 round Ruger mag or $75+ for a 30 rounder.(Yes, after markets can be found for $15. Some work, most don't.) Used USGI 30's can be found for $7.99. Think I'll keep the AR around.

My 2¢

squeky

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2007
    Frederick

I've read a lot of threads on AK boards about mini 30s. The one thing in common is--they're no more accurate than an AK. Mags are picky/expensive and Ruger is anti-2A. If you don't have an AK, get the AK instead. It's a better weapon with dirt cheap mags and the same accuracy as a mini 30.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Well, the end of the saga is this. I wound up doing almost exactly as alucard suggested. My Mini-14, all the mags and the ammo were eventually sold to another member here and it came out to being nearly an even cost swap to get an Arsenal AK and a good supply of mags. Once I get the scope on the AK and let Clandestine duracoat the gun, I'll post a picture or two.

In the end, the Mini-14 was a nice gun but it just didn't hold my attention. As others have noted elsewhere, I think they would make excellent patrol carbines or truck guns and in thier ranch rifle configuration that is exactly what they're marketed as. Then again I think the AK would do the same thing and I just like the 7.62 round better for the relativly close work I expect to use it for.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Well, the end of the saga is this. I wound up doing almost exactly as alucard suggested. My Mini-14, all the mags and the ammo were eventually sold to another member here and it came out to being nearly an even cost swap to get an Arsenal AK and a good supply of mags. Once I get the scope on the AK and let Clandestine duracoat the gun, I'll post a picture or two.

In the end, the Mini-14 was a nice gun but it just didn't hold my attention. As others have noted elsewhere, I think they would make excellent patrol carbines or truck guns and in thier ranch rifle configuration that is exactly what they're marketed as. Then again I think the AK would do the same thing and I just like the 7.62 round better for the relativly close work I expect to use it for.

Good to hear it worked out :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom