• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    Nobody on the Federal IT side at the small agency I am working at makes less than $125K a year and there are hundreds.

rglrguy

Dec 15, 2010
    Harford
    The above is "base" pay, doesn't include those nice little bene's

I'm sure these guys get better benefits than I do but I want to say to everyone that federal benefits are not that good! I thought they would be at least as good as those at the private industry positions I was offered but they aren't. Some folks in public service, despite what MSM has been saying, are actually making a lot less than they could in private industry and not receiving better benefits.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I was surprised about the Postmaster General. For a LONG time, Congress was very hard-nosed about nobody in Federal employ except for the President making more than a member of Congress.

And Rglrguy is right. Federal benefits are OK, but not fantastic - not for the GS-grade worker-bees. Once you get to the Cabinet/Congressional levels, there are some nice fringe benefits. The biggest of which being the ability to hawk your connections for big money after you leave Government service.

grb

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2010
    MT. Airy, Md
    A number of these people could make more in the private sector. I do not understand, how in the world the Postmaster General makes more than the Speaker of the House, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs and the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. That is ridiculous, particularly considering the billions that the Post Office has lost in the last several years.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    How are they managing that? The GS-15 scale doesn't even hit $130,000.

The GS schedule is adjusted based on geographic location. The Baltimore/DC locality pay bumps the pay scale up accordingly due to cost of living. As another poster said, the executive scale is another thing altogether- Senior Executive Service (SES).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom