So I've decided I want a CMP M1...but...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    ...I'm very much a novice when it comes to Garands and looking for some advice.

I do know enough to rule out a Field Grade. What I'm torn on is deciding between a Service Grade and a Special Grade. I am hoping to get some pointers to help me make my choice.

Obviously, the Special Grade rifles guarantee a new stock. I would actually prefer a new stock to a mismatched original. Besides that, I'd really like a WW2 production receiver, but I know that's a crap shoot.

I do plan to shoot it and obviously the Special Grade gets points there, but how much does that cost from a collectability standpoint? I don't have any intention of selling, but paying $100 more for a gun that's worth less makes me scratch my head.

What else am I missing? I've read that the Special Grade guns have a longer wait time, but I don't know if that info is old.

Thanks in advance again for any opinions, I know there's a lot of knowledgeable people here.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    You say you want to shoot it, just make sure you have the correct ammo for it if you get a service or special(30/06) as most current factory ammo is too hot for M1’s. The special grade can also be ordered in 308 if available. You want a WWII receiver then put a sticky note on your order forms and just maybe you will get what you want. And why not a field grade? They can be great shooters!

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    You say you want to shoot it, just make sure you have the correct ammo for it if you get a service or special(30/06) as most current factory ammo is too hot for M1’s. The special grade can also be ordered in 308 if available. You want a WWII receiver then put a sticky note on your order forms and just maybe you will get what you want. And why not a field grade? They can be great shooters!

Thanks. Reason for me avoiding the Field Grade as my first CMP purchase is to hopefully get a better shooter and also avoid the hackberry(sp?) replacement stocks they're using on some.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I've got a service grade and LOVE it. Buy a SG and invest that $100 in ammo.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Thanks. Reason for me avoiding the Field Grade as my first CMP purchase is to hopefully get a better shooter and also avoid the hackberry(sp?) replacement stocks they're using on some.

It’s been a few years since my last one but my field grade is my favorite. I’ve been lucky enough to get 3 M1’s from them, 2 service 1SA and 1HRA and my field grade is a SA. I wouldn’t want a hackberry stock either as I prefer the USGI stocks but you can find the good walnut stocks for sale on the CMP forum every once in a while. Here’s a picture of my field grade from when I got it and maybe I got lucky?
    Oh and here is a photo of the first 16 shots out of it at 50 yards.

Attachments

• 4C291596-0C05-40D3-8F9C-B38EB72A2AF4.jpg
      4C291596-0C05-40D3-8F9C-B38EB72A2AF4.jpg
      49.6 KB · Views: 806
    • DC6B6D43-87CE-4D7B-AC64-1AB81786469A.jpg
      DC6B6D43-87CE-4D7B-AC64-1AB81786469A.jpg
      97.3 KB · Views: 800

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    It is a roll of the dice on Service grade for stocks. Get a Special for the pretty stock, Service for a 'character' stock or chance at a possible pretty stock. There is a high probability that you will be infected by the first one, and purchase a second one.:innocent0

Q

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    Special is a shooter, but not for most collectors. Sometimes you can get real lucky with a FG. However for only $100 more go for the SG.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If you want history get a Service grade if you want a shooter get a Special grade. You will probably end up with several examples of every grade because CMP guns are addictive.

The Special looks like a brand new gun and with a new barrel and new stock you wont be starting off part way down the worn pathway. The .308 will ease the ammo supply and there may be surplus .308 somewhere in the future.

Garands are like potato chips you can't have just one.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I think with a field grade you got a 50/50 chance of getting a good shooting rifle , If you go with a service grade you will get one with better specs and will up your chances of having a good shooter to around 75%+. I have ordered many service grade from them and i have always been happy with what i got for the price point.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Ask for “no hackberry”. I’ve yet to hear anyone put in that request who got a hackberry stocked Garand. If I can swing it in the next year or two I plan to order a second CMP Garand. This time I am going to request a field grade, “no hackberry” and “SA please” as my requests as #1 and #2 respectively.

I got a service grade last year that is all new walnut furniture, HRA, 1955 great overall rifle, but I’d like a Springfield to complement and original wood if possible. I want something a little cheaper that I won’t mind as much bumping around in the woods with (not that I’d take it hunting in crap weather, but I’d like to do a little hunting with a Garand in rare occasions and my current SG Garand is in too nice condition for me to want to do that).

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    I think with a field grade you got a 50/50 chance of getting a good shooting rifle , If you go with a service grade you will get one with better specs and will up your chances of having a good shooter to around 75%+. I have ordered many service grade from them and i have always been happy with what i got for the price point.

This!! :goodpost::goodpost:

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    It depends on whether or not you want a collector’s piece. A Special is basically a remanufactured rifle. Personally, I wouldn’t - and won’t ever - want once for that reason alone. It’s not ever going to be as valued by collectors as a Service Grade Garand, and that’s just a fact, and certainly not, in my opinion, worth the price they are asking. A Service Grade Garand for $760? I’d take that all day long. You can shoot the crap out of them. They aren’t going to break. And I wouldn’t be worried about a “mismatched stock.” If you’re lucky enough to get a USGI stock and you don’t want it, then you can sell it for a nice price and buy the awful new CMP stocks.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Go for a service grade, I have two they are both excellent shooters and have more collector appeal. If you happen to get a USGI stock and don't want it I would consider trading you a nice new walnut CMP stock I have

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    For my first one I would get a Service Grade, much better chance of getting a good/great rifle that will function. If you decide you want more you can always dabble in the Field Grade's later, I had some very good ones and some very bad ones, luck of the draw.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore

Thanks for the response. Is there a waiting list or how's this work. I'll be honest, I just had my interest peaked when I almost sold my Persian Mauser.
    I bought the gun 30 years ago for cheap (real cheap). Almost sold it for $750 when a friend advised me to reconsider. Actually offered twice what I was about to sell it for. After doing research I found out I had a very rare collectible. All of the sudden I love the damn thing and want to add to my collection. I have a couple of other old guns that are sentimental and would never sell. I figure why not start to add to what I have? I love all my modern toys but strangely old girls seem fun too. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom