Are any prepaid debit cards worth a hoot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I’ve been wanting to get a prepaid debit card. However, it seems like all them have absurd fees (monthly fees, per transaction fees, even adding money fees). The prepaid cards I’ve looked at all seem to be targeted toward low income idiots. Is anyone using a prepaid debit card that isn’t bending them over?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The only ones I use are given as rebates for certain purchases...like this past weekend I bought new wiper blades for my car that came with the "rebate" paid with a debit card mailed to me. I guess it's cheaper for the issuing company than sending a rebate check...people cash checks...they may forget about using a debit card before it expires.

Outside of that I see no purpose to them unless you simply want to limit loss should they get lost or the number stolen.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I got one for my Father when he was alive. He had Dementia and before it got real bad and he went into a nursing home he would wander off. We didn't want him carrying a credit card or a wad of cash since he was losing everything. I kept about $50 available on it so he could go the McDonalds etc. It was Bluebird. There wasn't any fee that I can remember.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    What's the intent of the card? My wife buys these every Christmas so she can "surprise" me with the gift and so the purchase doesn't show up on our debit account.

Besides "untraceable" purchases I can't see the benefit to one.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Clark Howard had a massive rant on what a waste of money these are, he especially complained about the VISA one.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i wouldn't pay anyone a penny to hold my money for me.

i do just the opposite, use a points-paying credit card, pay it off every month, zero interest, zero fees, never charge what i can't or won't pay off.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    If you belong to a credit union, try there.

My dear brother was pinching mom’s walmart card (with her approval) supposedly, and getting quick cash whenever he was short.

So one day, she lost her card and I had Wm put a freeze loss on it. Her credit union has a ‘personalized’ debit card that I can load for her with a few bucks as needed.

There are several options -
    1 is a 3 use (recharge) card at 3 bucks per reload, then it is no good.
    2 is the personal one (with her name on it) looks like a real card, but no liability past what is on the card at the time. No over limit crap. And I can see where she has used it.

It has saved me a fortune in over limit fees !

euchre98

Feb 13, 2009
    Leonardtown
    My credit union has them the fee is $1.
    After 24 hours you can log into the web address on the back of the card or change your address...........

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    Cash Gifts to my middle school daughter are turned into prepaid cards. She can then spend them on stuff she wants typically online music/games or Amazon stuff. She gets to buy what she wants online while limiting exposure of my "real" cards that would be her only other option for online purchases.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    If the reason is for making online purchases, I recently starting using Privacy.com. I can generate a unique card per website that is tied back to my bank/debit account. You can generate one time use card numbers and set monthly and per charge limits.

The only negative is currently they have spend limits although you can request increases. By default you can do $250 per day and $1000 per 30 days. I tried buying a laptop kept getting rejected before I realized about the limits. Also limited to 12 cards in a 24 hour period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom