Votes: 28 38.4%
    • Other

Votes: 9 12.3%

• Total voters

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I’ve been using a “combat” Isosceles stance since I started shooting handguns. I look like I’m squatting over the bowl about to drop a deuce :lol2: , but I get good results. I still see many law enforcement officers using the Weaver stance.

Which do you favor and why?

Last edited:

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Where do you see all these cops using Weaver? Are they all 30 year vets? Since cops started wearing body armor regularly, and people started realizing they were dying from rounds going through the side of the vests, isosceles was almost universally taught.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    weaver

Attachments

• 77861d48ed64367e006a2d91cb3cc590.jpg
      77861d48ed64367e006a2d91cb3cc590.jpg
      39.5 KB · Views: 785

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I keep trying Isosceles, but shoot better Weaver. The push pull really helps me keep the gun steady. From everything I read Isosceles is superior for acquiring multiple targets. That's not going to be an issue for me though.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Where do you see all these cops using Weaver? Are they all 30 year vets? Since cops started wearing body armor regularly, and people started realizing they were dying from rounds going through the side of the vests, isosceles was almost universally taught.

I see it on Live PD. Not all of them, but some still use Weaver. You are right that many of them are older officers or retired law enforcement.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I keep trying Isosceles, but shoot better Weaver. The push pull really helps me keep the gun steady. From everything I read Isosceles is superior for acquiring multiple targets. That's not going to be an issue for me though.

I think Weaver would make me a smaller target, as I’m as big as a barn when I’m in isosceles. I’ll have to practice with it and see how it feels.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    I feel comfortable using a combination Weaver/Isosceles stance. I believe it's called the "fighting" stance. It's basically the Isosceles stance
    but with a slight crouch and the right foot slightly behind ( I'm right handed ). In the poll, I'm an "OTHER"!!!

It's very stable side to side and front to back. Try it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Whatever is comfortable. If you're stationary...slight lean forward with just about a 1/2 step forward with 1 of your legs. Stand on 1 leg if you want, as long as you can hold aim, front sight, and smooth trigger :)
    Just don't lock your knees like that terrible photo example above.

And those of you who give it that low ass crouch facing the threat, you just replaced your center mass with your forehead. Don't make head shots easier for your adversary.

Watch Pat Mac here. He's usually on a tippy toe when he shoots.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    I seriously think that guy was standing next to me at an indoor range the other day. Actually it was 2 of them and they rented a Glock and proceeded to do mag dumps

I LEFT IMMEDIATELY !!! :mad54:

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Whatever works for you is generally the best though I do feel the Weaver is better. It's steadier and gives better control and is a more natural stance. When in the academy we were taught what they referred to as the "FI" or "field interview" stance...a Weaver stance by a different name. The rationale is that it's how one normally stands and when you're talking to others and also keeps your weapon side away from them.

Learning and practicing one stance has its advantages in that you will do it by sheer repetition and it becomes reflexive. That's not to say other stances aren't valid. Different circumstances may demand different stances or tactics. Each is simply another tool in your tool bag in self-defense.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Isosceles for students without a lot of experience, good at absorbing recoil and can be related to athletic stances easily. However, i emphasis unpredictable circumstances can create unpredictable stances.

Like most things, one size doesn't fit all.

TD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom