• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    All of this talk in the two 1903 threads peaks my interest even more. I've wanted a nice collector A3 for a while now since I got my first Garand. My eyes suck too much to use the orig 03 open sights. Now Im thinking about an A4gery (that word makes me chuckle) as a good shooter. Optics > peep sights on a shooter for my eyes. So, it better/cheaper to get something like a gibbs refurbed drill rifle A4 or do it yourself from a drill rifle? I have the tools and capability to restore one. Looks like a Gibbs A4 is ballpark $1k.

How do they do the factory name stamping and S#? Aren't they offset in an A4?

What's all the talk about eyesight going? If you shoot on a sunny day, the peeps in the 03A3 should set you straight. I have a bud who's in his late 70's and with glasses, he shoots like a CHAMP!
    For the non-peep sighted rifles, there's the eyepal or you can make your own (like I do) with a hole punched into electrical tape.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    All of this talk in the two 1903 threads peaks my interest even more. I've wanted a nice collector A3 for a while now since I got my first Garand. My eyes suck too much to use the orig 03 open sights. Now Im thinking about an A4gery (that word makes me chuckle) as a good shooter. Optics > peep sights on a shooter for my eyes. So, it better/cheaper to get something like a gibbs refurbed drill rifle A4 or do it yourself from a drill rifle? I have the tools and capability to restore one. Looks like a Gibbs A4 is ballpark $1k.

"Nice collector A3" and "refurbed drill rifle" are not compatible terms.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    "Nice collector A3" and "refurbed drill rifle" are not compatible terms.
    Never said they were. But nothing wrong w/ getting a nice collector A3 and a nice shooter A4gery. Since the latter is fake, might as well make it from a drill rifle.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county

Best bet? a 1903a3 sporter, drilled for a redfield base.

You can find them on gunbroker for under 300 usually if you are careful.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Best bet? a 1903a3 sporter, drilled for a redfield base.
    Hadn't thought of that! I see those come up often. Those would need a full-length barrel put back on it to be CMP competition legal right? (if I temporarily took the scope off of course.) Most of the sporters I see have the barrrel chopped and no font sights. A new Criterion sounds like an easy fix (and likely improve accuracy over anything old and worn.)

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    Started messing with the drill rifle tonight alittle. I think it will be a fun project and I think I'll see how far I can take it. Once I get the bolt out I will know more.But I'm up to trying if no success I can say I tried.:D

chevellenut71

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Cape Saint Clare / Annapolis
    I think it is a waste of time and money because at best, you will wind up with a bottom of the barrel example of an 03. Safe and functional? Probably. But I can get that from a Savage 110 from Wal Mart. I want something like 03 for its history – including the original high standard of manufacturing.

Reclaimed drill rifles are like cars with salvage titles in my mind. A rare Ferrari might be worth bringing back from a trashed condition, but a standard production Chevy Chevelle – not so much.

03’s that were NOT welded up into drill rifles are by no means rare and will always be more desirable than damaged ones salvaged from the junk pile. If you want an 03, get a good one, not one that you have to make excuses for.

Rather restore a Chevelle then some piece of crap Ferrari.....Just Saying:D

zeebill

Jan 2, 2015
    Central West Virginia
    Just came across one of these so-called drill rifles. They now do the following to them. Weld the bolt head, cut the recoil lug completely off the receiver, and nitrogen freeze a steel rod and drive it into the barrel. Nothing except the stock which a non-accepted replacement stock only used on them and not good for anything else and the metal accoutrements and furniture is reusable for the most part. So unless you have one done the old way and trust welded steel receivers after they are machined will hold up to live fire I would highly recommend staying away from trying to re-activate on of these babies. Make a neat wall hanger at best. Bill

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Kids still use these as drill rifles.
    ROTC at my son's school uses them.
    Saw one for $100 2 weeks ago at a show. I should have picked it up and donated it.

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    I gave up on mine to much work to reactivate and could buy one for the cost.
    Sold mine to a guy who's kid is using it for rotc drills.:thumbsup:

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Just came across one of these so-called drill rifles. They now do the following to them. Weld the bolt head, cut the recoil lug completely off the receiver, and nitrogen freeze a steel rod and drive it into the barrel. Nothing except the stock which a non-accepted replacement stock only used on them and not good for anything else and the metal accoutrements and furniture is reusable for the most part. So unless you have one done the old way and trust welded steel receivers after they are machined will hold up to live fire I would highly recommend staying away from trying to re-activate on of these babies. Make a neat wall hanger at best. Bill

The cutting off the bottom of the receiver ring is done by commercial sellers who want to offer a non firearm. It was never originally done on drill rifles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom