• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moyaone

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 22, 2017
    You've probably already taken a look, but there is a 20 ga skb in the classified section. Made by same folks that make the brownings. Might be worth a look if you want sub gauge.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Me and others consider a Browning a step below Beretta’s but you could definitely do worse. If you’re up for a trip check out Joel Etchens. These guys are shotgun experts. They’ll make sure the gun fits you too. If you go, ask them why they recommend a Beretta over a Browning. I agree with PJDiesel look at the 32” guns. Everyone is going to longer barrels. 30” is the minimum and 32” are gaining popularity in Skeet. 32” are the most popular in Trap and Sporting.

https://www.joeletchenguns.com/about-joel-etchen-guns

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    32's are also easier to resell. Not many serious sporting clays shooters want 30's.
    Tried to nicely convey that..... it didn't go over well.

30's make up a small fraction of shooters, and linger about 4 times longer on the market, selling for less pretty much across the board regardless of brand.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco

30's make up a small fraction of shooters, and linger about 4 times longer on the market, selling for less pretty much across the board regardless of brand.

Agree. As the saying goes you can lead a horse to water but... It could be worse he could be wanting to buy a 28” inch Stoeger.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I referee for M&M during their big shoots. Trappers will see ~250 individual shooters over single day at ONE station.

It's just a tad more of a sample than asking your brother in law or a few guys on a gun forum. I've been doing that three years now, been around literally 750 different competitors from causal to the top in the world over a single weekend at the Regionals.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Guy I shoot with is a big guy and uses a Guerini with 34's, he is a great shooter and makes those 34's look small, l tried 34's for awhile and did well with the longer presentations but felt I lost a little on the close fast ones, went back to the 32's.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I agree with PJDiesel look at the 32” guns. Everyone is going to longer barrels. 30” is the minimum and 32” are gaining popularity in Skeet. 32” are the most popular in Trap and Sporting.

https://www.joeletchenguns.com/about-joel-etchen-guns

I couldn't agree more. When I bought my CG, I was leaning towards 30" but El Flasko and the dealer convinced me to go with 32". I am 5'9" and couldn't be happier with the decision.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Get 32's.

32's are also easier to resell. Not many serious sporting clays shooters want 30's.

Why? What makes the 32" better than a 30"?

I have not shot skeet, trap, wobble trap, or 5 stand yet. I have no frame of reference for the whys and wherefors of these.

Agree. As the saying goes you can lead a horse to water but... It could be worse he could be wanting to buy a 28” inch Stoeger.

That is why I'm asking the hive here. The reason I'm even involving myself in clays is to get better at 3-gun and maybe SASS. I cannot consistently hit moving clay targets, which some match directors insist on including in some stages. Which is why I'm shooting my 24" M2 with a +7 tube extender on the Sporting Clays field.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    You listened to ElFasko with a crowd pleasing ~72 NSCA average?

Kidding of course.

No reputable dealer of sporting guns would suggest 30's for anyone other than a women or small child. Or, possibly someone looking for a dedicated upland gun.

There is nothing wrong with someone going out a few times a year to shoot trap (or whatever) with a beater 28"gun. If someone intends on being competitive 32" is the standard for swing/balance. This is the epidome of "buy once cry once". I have never in my life heard of someone who went from 32's down. Whereas, just about everyone I've ever shot with came FROM 28's and 30's UP.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I do think it is a great idea to be fitted by an expert (something I did; how much it helps remains to be seen); and if you can find an impartial expert to suggest the right make and model for you BEFORE you buy even better (which I did not do but perhaps should have). If you are considering a Browning, look at the 725 Sporting as well; it is more Beretta-like in terms of being a slimmer and lighter shotgun. The Citori CXS seems to be more old school Browning like the 525 (broader and heavier), which I personally like. Pick up a Browning and examine it up close; they are well made. I also don't think you should assume as a foregone conclusion that a 32" barrel will be perfect for you. Who cares about resale? You care about what's right for you and the type of shooting you want to do. Buy the right barrel-length gun (be it 28, 30, or 32) and you won't be selling it anyways. I myself chose a Browning CXS; so I am biased. Full disclosure. Good luck on your search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom