• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PF Flyer

Sep 8, 2010
    Greetings all.

I just picked up a Remington 870 Express 12 gauge, and it has been ages since I've handled a pump action shotgun. I intend to use it for trap shooting and waterfowl and upland game hunting. I'm interested in hearing about any modifications that you might have made to yours and how the modifications turned out. I also want to pick up an 18 - 18.5 inch barrel for HD and am interested in hearing about what your experiences have been like with the various manufacturers of these barrels.

Thanks!

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Welcome.

I'm not sure you'd be best suited to have something interchangeable for that many various activities. I'm not a fan of having my HD gun outside much, it needs to be ready to roll in an emergency.

Dedicated slug gun or dedicated HD gun, yes, much beyond that? You'd be better served to pony up a little more for a cheap auto loader for the rest.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Welcome.

I'm not sure you'd be best suited to have something interchangeable for that many various activities. I'm not a fan of having my HD gun outside much, it needs to be ready to roll in an emergency.

Dedicated slug gun or dedicated HD gun, yes, much beyond that? You'd be better served to pony up a little more for a cheap auto loader for the rest.

Agreed. I bought a 870 express for hunting and even bought a shorter barrel for home defense. That barrel is still in its packaging because I went out and just bought an 870 express tactical for home defense. The tactical one gives me 7 rounds which in a home defense situation is more useful than the max 4 rounds the hunting one holds.

PF Flyer

Sep 8, 2010
    Thanks!! I hadn't thought of it that way before. That makes much sense. If I just dedicate it to trap and hunting, are there any modifications that might make sense? For example I've read about the merits of of things like upgrading the magazine spring and the magazine follower with higher quality components, a new stock for recoil reduction, maybe ghost ring sights . . . . (The last time I handled a pump shotgun was when I went pheasant hunting with my Dad and Grandfather back in Michigan, and it was a 20 gauge.)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I bought an Express for HD only and added the Remington +2 round extension tube. I had to dremel down the small metal tabs inside the tube and then used cold blue to cover the bare metal.

Works like a champ and I now have 6 + 1.

There are better alternatives for extensions besides Remington however. I bought what I could find in stock at a LGS.

Vang Comp and Wilson come to mind.

I also installed a Knoxx recoil reducing stock an a Surefire Forend with 200 lumen light.

I have the 18 inch barrel.

Attachments

• remington plus 2 mag extension.jpg
      remington plus 2 mag extension.jpg
      89.1 KB · Views: 284
    • SDC10089.jpg
      SDC10089.jpg
      77.4 KB · Views: 317

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I use an 870 Express for all the above except Home Defense. Mo mods are needed, just learn how it shoots so you shoot it better. Range time!!!

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Length of pull and cast adjustment were the best changes I made to the shotgun. Patterning can be helpful to learn where your shot is going and what it looks like.

Check out Shotgunning: the Art and Science and the Orvis Wingshooting Handbook if you want to get into it.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I bought an Express for HD only and added the Remington +2 round extension tube. I had to dremel down the small metal tabs inside the tube and then used cold blue to cover the bare metal.

Works like a champ and I now have 6 + 1.

There are better alternatives for extensions besides Remington however. I bought what I could find in stock at a LGS.

Vang Comp and Wilson come to mind.

I also installed a Knoxx recoil reducing stock an a Surefire Forend with 200 lumen light.

I have the 18 inch barrel.
    Looks sweet.

Also reminds me to get my Surefire G2X mounted on my HD 870.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I added a Wilson Combat large safety. Really good in the cold and wet waterfowl hunting.
    The "Jumbo" extended, rounded end type interfere with my trigger finger. That might not bother others.

PF Flyer

Sep 8, 2010
    All great advice, thanks!! I plan on leaving it as is for now and hitting the range ASAP to get to know her. I like the idea of adding a Wilson Combat large safety before heading out into the field. And the length of pull "feels" a little to long for me, bringing the butt to my shoulder has been more awkward than smooth, and the natural placement of my non-trigger hand ends up further back on the fore end than I would like, but I'm going to reserve final judgment until I've had a couple of visits to the range.

And in terms of a dedicated HD gun, with one kid in college and the second on the way, I need to be extremely budget conscious. Starting from the bottom of the price pile and from what I've read, the Winchester XPS Defender might be an option, but the fact that it's manufactured in Turkey gives me pause, for some reason. And then there is the Benelli Nova Tactical, which I like for the out-of-the-box sighting options and the general Benelli reputation (I think). And then of course there is the Remington Express HD, which I like because it's a Remington with an out-of-the-box 6+1 . . . .

Any advice?

Markpixs

Apr 23, 2011
    NOVA
    I had to polish the chamber on mine, steel head shells (Rem Gun Club, Rios) would stick in the chamber after firing. Real brass worked fine. Have a friend that replaced the extractor with a non-mim part to solve the same problem.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    When I got my 590 earlier this year, the length of pull was a little long for me, so I purchased a Magpul stock for it. They make the same stock for the 870. It's easy to change LOP with this system, and the grip is nicer than the stock stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom