• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    Oral argument in the pending appeal of our lawsuit is now just over a week away.

I shared with many a “WTF?” reaction after the MD OAG appealed our District Court ruling to the Fourth Circuit in May 2021, asserting that appellate courts “declare” if and when Constitutional rights are “clearly established” when analyzing claims that implicate Qualified Immunity (QI) and the powers of police.

It is the reason I posted this thread below on MDS back in mid-February about the precedent-setting Sharpe v. Winterville PD “right to livestream” decision handed down by the Fourth Circuit on February 7, 2023 because QI, as in our case, was implicated:

I’m linking back to this “right to livestream the police in public” thread here today because the Sharpe ruling was also the subject of the “letter of supplemental authority” addressed to the Fourth Circuit by the MD OAG on Pope’s behalf last week:

E8974D79-54C9-447D-9D57-51BAD95F9BA9.png

27954A89-4AA4-46C7-A75A-74ECD3800A8B.png

We addressed a reply to the Court regarding Sharpe the following day:

4B5459F6-CBBB-4CBF-913F-BB491C1AF2D7.jpeg

721A7864-E74C-4109-BDD9-51386EB98850.jpeg

In anticipation of the potential (outraged) reaction by some listening to our oral argument next Wednesday morning, I am linking to the Sharpe “right to livestream” thread today so you can read (or re-read) it, if you wish, to be prepared to understand the oral argument about your “right to record” versus your “right to livestream.”

The quoted passages and images from the pages of the Sharpe ruling posted in this “right to livestream” thread linked above may help explain some of these confounding legal issues.

Sharpe had asserted a Constitutional right to record and/or livestream the police during a traffic stop, but the Court rejected that broad assertion and did not rule on the Constitutional right to record the police, only Sharpe’s right to livestream.

The District Court ruled in our lawsuit in April 2021 that I had the Constitutional right to record the police; this finding is disputed by Pope and became an element of the pending interlocutory appeal by the MD OAG.

The right to record the police will be addressed during our oral argument.

Last edited:

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    "Appellant's citations are misleading..."

AKA, The assistant DA is a lying SOS!

Speaking of misleading …

Despite the fact that our lawsuit was clearly a “First Amendment rights violation case” the only amicus curiae brief submitted during this Fourth Circuit interlocutory appeal was authored by the NATIONAL POLICE ASSOCIATION, to support Sgt. Pope.

(Hello ACLU - - any guardians of our Civil Rights home?)

The NPA amicus brief is ludicrous: an intentional misstatement of the facts of our case to smear us (and our only reason for being there that night) before the judges of the Fourth Circuit.

NPA claims we (Adolph Oliver Bush, Not_An_Outlaw, Bob A, Hillbilly Grandpa, Zen Monkey, Rack&Roll and me) were blocking the sidewalk.

Even Sgt. Pope admitted later in his sworn deposition this wasn’t true.

In their desperation NPA resorts to labeling me as a “First Amendment auditor” whose goal was recording video to “harass” the police, “catch them” in the act of violating rights, posting video on YouTube for personal “financial gain” and creating ”hazardous and unnecessary confrontation” that night.

All despicable lies.

(I have recorded video of politicians, to whom I posed questions in public. It was instead Sgt. Pope who repeatedly “confronted” and “harassed” us that night, which is why I later recorded his approach to our legal public sidewalk demonstration.)

National Police Association: GFY.

You can read the entire NPA amicus fever dream here:

NPA amicus excerpts below:

9FEF7AE8-82FE-4ECF-983F-F9DCB683F8E3.jpeg
    BC734AAD-7A58-4AF7-8CB2-66E7FFCD5CE8.jpeg
    7BE8E2EC-C662-41BC-9C7B-C29ED52F4807.jpeg
    C855B920-A409-457A-AA3A-748B5A9BA372.jpeg

Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    NPA knows that they can always use their support of Pope, deliberate lie that it is, in their advertising to their members and supporters.

No one reads past the headlines any more, anyway. There's way too much effort involved - all those words! Who has the time for that stuff? Just tell us what to think, especially if it agrees with our current opinion. Even the MD OAG is doing it - see above.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    Oral argument is tomorrow morning, Wednesday May 3rd, in the State‘s appeal in our lawsuit, during a hearing session that begins at 9 AM.

Our case “Clayton Hulbert v. Pope” is currently scheduled to be the second of three cases argued, but the order of the cases is subject to change.

Click here at 9 AM to listen to the YouTube live-streaming (audio only) of this argument session:

To read a brief summary of the lawsuit, and to view historical pics and video of the arrests, click on the latest Patriot Picket website blogpost here:

(This blogpost also contains a link to the YouTube livestream of the oral argument.)

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    That would some sweet justice. I'd love to see Rutherford dance and sweat.

NPA knows that they can always use their support of Pope, deliberate lie that it is, in their advertising to their members and supporters.

No one reads past the headlines any more, anyway. There's way too much effort involved - all those words! Who has the time for that stuff? Just tell us what to think, especially if it agrees with our current opinion. Even the MD OAG is doing it - see above.
    this is why dumbing down of society benefits those powers that be. Easier to control

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    Having been there on that fateful night, and having listened to today's hearing twice, I cannot believe the lies promulgated by the state. What a complete shit show. One of the judges took more than 5 minutes of Cary's time to lecture on QI. That's not how a hearing is supposed to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom