• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vatreni4Life

Sep 24, 2021
    HoCo
    If, after 1 OCT 2013, you bought weapons that are now banned in MD, you may not bring them into MD as-is. Period.

You may be able to bring them into MD if you can convert them to an NFA configuration first. If you have time.

You can also bring them in if they can be placed in a non-banned configuration. An AR15 bought in 2014, for instance, may be brought into MD if you replace the barrel with an HBAR first (assuming it doesn't have a heavy barrel already, in which case it's fine).

If you owned them prior to that date, you can bring them as-is but you must register them as regulated firearms within 90 days of establishing residency.
    Good info, thanks!

bunnybunny

Mar 3, 2016
    I have moved to baltimore but left my rifles in michigan. I have been reading and want to clarify that info I have is correct and will have them mailed to me.

1) All of my handguns not on the list are allowed, regardless of barrel profile.
    2) SAM7SF is legal if the stock is pinned OR muzzle brake removed (7.62 x 39)
    3) Childers 7.62 x39 underfolder is legal because there isn't a muzzle device
    4) Russian TIGR is legal because it's not chinese
    5) Only my heavy barrel ARs are allowed, but if I disassemble them would they still be considered assault weapons?
    6)My AR180 is BANNED because I did not own it before 2013

MSP said I do not need to obtain a MD FFL because I do not engage in business that requires a FFL (I am 07/08 but my company reverse engineers guns in digital files) . Does ownership of an 07 FFL exempt me from maryland's assault weapon ban? It appears that Atlantic Firearms based in MD does deal with assault weapons and are exempt..

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    #5 - You want to hear Yes , and we could create a though process to give you a Yes . But it would be dancing deep into a gray area , and could potentially become a test case .

Best practices we recommend would be aquire HBAR upper(s) , And a AR Pistol lower , so that your Government profile upper would have plausible legal use as long bbl pistols .

( You'll have other opinions that I'm too cautious in the above , but that's may Best Practice for being unquestionably Legal .)

Yes , FFL may own and purchase Banned Firearms . But under very limited exceptions , may not sell , or offer for sale .

Do you otherwise have commercial reasons to become a Licensed Dealer ? Between meeting zoning and local business licensing for FFL, and the $ and hassle for a Maryland Regulated Weapons Dealer License .

Too much juice for the squeeze just to exempt a cpl uppers . Unless you're serious about opening s LGS .

bunnybunny

Mar 3, 2016
    I am not engaging in any business that requires a Maryland FFL according to MSP. I reverse engineer guns into digital files that are used to make replicas in Asia and Japan. ATF allows me to ship guns between states to the two responsible people on the FFLs (me and one other person). MSP told me in an email that I did not require a maryland FFL to engage in this business. While we do not deal with machine guns/NFA items, we have done guns like the AR180 and are in works to do the Russian Tigr. AR180 is complete so I do not need the gun here necessarily. The Tigr though I do need to disassemble, 3D scan, and reverse engineer.

Other than number 5 and FFL question, all of the others are correct?

Last edited:

wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    Belcamp, MD Harford County
    New member moving to the Annapolis area with an existing collection of firearms including AR, AK, M14 and FAL rifles. I'm at a loss with the current set of laws and having trouble finding advice how to proceed legally. First off...the move is a necessity and not an option. So before anyone says to stay in FL lets understand it's out of the question. And I know how to use a search engine, but most threads on the subject offer spotty/questionable advice and quickly take a turn. I've thought about asking the local law but reluctant to rely solely on this since anything offered may not be in my best interest.

So to begin with how does someone enter into MD with a trunk full of "evil" rifles? And supposing I arrive at my new home without being arrested what do I do next and how long do I have? Assuming I have to register everything how is it done and would it be better to put my collection into a "trust" before moving? Some of the rifles were purchased after your new laws took effect.

Thank you for your time and any constructive advice is appreciated.
    I'm very sorry for you! I have less than 12 years to retire so I can escape it.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    If you owned them prior to that date, you can bring them as-is but you must register them as regulated firearms within 90 days of establishing residency.
    I'm curious- what law requires registration of long guns? Please cite the statute and describe the process for registration of something that's NOT a handgun.

Jan 15, 2023
    APG
    Moving here around Nov, wife is military so I do not have a choice. I have a Bushmaster xm15, a psl, a wasr-10, and dmps lar308 all purchased prior to 2013. All newer ar15 style purchases are pistols (with removed braces for now I suppose) and a sig 716i. I should be good, right? Or do I need to be aware of more ar15 pistol no-no's such as Max/min oal/barrel length? I will not become a resident, I will be retaining my home of record, so I understand I do not have to register anything either.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!

If you are not becoming a resident. Registration is not required. But i also don’t think you should bring certain firearms. From the linked page you can find other Faqs

Jan 15, 2023
    APG
    I read through all of that and didn't find any reason what I had would be a problem under the current lw. I did not look through it for the rest of my handguns yet but I am tying to take it piece by piece. I suspect there is legislation coming down that may be an issue so maybe that is what you are reffering to?

MrNIceGuy1989

Nov 14, 2022
    Ellicott City
    New member moving to the Annapolis area with an existing collection of firearms including AR, AK, M14 and FAL rifles. I'm at a loss with the current set of laws and having trouble finding advice how to proceed legally. First off...the move is a necessity and not an option. So before anyone says to stay in FL lets understand it's out of the question. And I know how to use a search engine, but most threads on the subject offer spotty/questionable advice and quickly take a turn. I've thought about asking the local law but reluctant to rely solely on this since anything offered may not be in my best interest.

So to begin with how does someone enter into MD with a trunk full of "evil" rifles? And supposing I arrive at my new home without being arrested what do I do next and how long do I have? Assuming I have to register everything how is it done and would it be better to put my collection into a "trust" before moving? Some of the rifles were purchased after your new laws took effect.

Thank you for your time and any constructive advice is appreciated.
    Contact Maryland State Police, they are usually good with questions like that

Jan 15, 2023
    APG
    Don't have a choice. Wife is active military. Not that it matters that much, right now I am in WA state. Wife wants to move back here eventually, I am pushing for Idaho but she won't budge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom