• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    First, condolences on being forced to leave America for Maryland. Regarding your Armalite style rifle, just buy an HBAR upper and put that on it before you vacate free territory, no need to register as it is now MD legal. You can even keep the non-HBAR upper to use at a range in Free America, just make sure it NEVER has the evil upper on it at any time when in MD. Your standard capacity magazines are also legal to own and use in MD, no registration of magazines, yet. You just can't buy, sell, give away or receive them inside the borders. If you need to buy more standard capacity magazines, America is less than an hour in any direction.

Nov 4, 2018
    If you have a cash or the charge card receipt of the purchase before 10-1-13 you can bring the rifle with you. You will need to register it within 90 days of establishing residency in MD

Register here

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...censingDivision/Registration/NewResident.aspx
    First, condolences on being forced to leave America for Maryland. Regarding your Armalite style rifle, just buy an HBAR upper and put that on it before you vacate free territory, no need to register as it is now MD legal. You can even keep the non-HBAR upper to use at a range in Free America, just make sure it NEVER has the evil upper on it at any time when in MD. Your standard capacity magazines are also legal to own and use in MD, no registration of magazines, yet. You just can't buy, sell, give away or receive them inside the borders. If you need to buy more standard capacity magazines, America is less than an hour in any direction.
    Thank you guys! I'll have to do some digging, I think I may have thrown away the receipt.

Question, what would you guys recommend for HBAR uppers? Like does COLT or any big brand sell any good ones? I tried doing some digging on Google last night to no avail

Jarvis

Oct 16, 2018

I am confused now, so even though my Armalite SPR MOD 1 is not listed on the ban list and passes the copycat test, none of that matters if you don't have a heavy barrel?
    If so, could I just dismantle the upper from the lower and legally have it in Maryland? as long as I don't fully assemble the rifle.

Nov 4, 2018
    I am confused now, so even though my Armalite SPR MOD 1 is not listed on the ban list and passes the copycat test, none of that matters if you don't have a heavy barrel?
    If so, could I just dismantle the upper from the lower and legally have it in Maryland? as long as I don't fully assemble the rifle.

I called the state firearm registration office to be sure and what they said checks out with what was written

Except for holding on to my original AR upper, that "could" lead to trouble. I don't know what that means

Pre2013 can fire in any configuration. It's highly recommended that I register this, otherwise it seems like they can just continue to take away upper rights until we're left with bolt action. On the other hand, im wondering if it just puts my name on the list to get it confiscated for/if when this country finally becomes communist.

I'm gifting my AK and several other ccw pistols and down sizing massively.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Registering a Grandfathered Rifle vs switching it to HBAR is your personal decision . If you have any handguns , they must be registered also .

Having your original bbl/ upper also enters into the discussion of nebulous * Constructive Intent * , and is largely speculative .

At one extreme would be to posses only one non-Grandfathered lower , and only one non- HBAR upper . Having HBAR Upper(s) , and original upper also would be much less likely to have an issue . Having more than one lower, at least one of which could be configured with the original . would be reasonably thought to have near zero chance of issues .

HBAR Bbl/ Uppers are widely available in all price ranges from substantial plethora of mfgs . Instead of buried in this thread , go to either the Rifle or Gunsmithing subforums , and start a thread with the specifics of what you'd be interested , and you will recieve a boatload of sugguestions .

Nov 4, 2018
    Question of clarification. For AR uppers, its not enough to just through on a heavy barrel, right? The "law" states that you can't have a flash hider, but it looks like all these heavy barrel MD legal AR's have them. I'm confused

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Evil Feature Test .

Semiauto, centerfire, detatchable magazine rifles may have only One Evil Feature . The possible Evil Features are ; Flash Hider , Folding Stock , Grenade Launcher .

If you had an actual Folding ( not telescoping ) stock , or a grenade launcher , then you would have to eschew a flash hider .

j26sub

May 8, 2018
    Just to clarify...OP needs advice. Is there a thread about grammar mistakes that drive me crazy? I hope there/their/they're is one such thread :-) Your/you're help would be appreciated.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Didn’t read everything but seems like you might be s.o.l. Sorta out luck. Rough place to move to with those types of things. Make sure check laws yourself . Opinions are great but.....

rhott25

Nov 17, 2018
    First the state of Maryland is not a fan of any variant of AK's at all, but check this site out for all banned rifles. https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx
    Maryland has issues with replica's of military style AR's.

Some examples of the questions to ask are listed below:

1) Is this weapon semi-automatic? If not, it is not banned and you do not need to continue.

2) If this is a rifle, is it centerfire? If not, then it is not banned and you do not need to continue.

3) Is this weapon considered to be a copy of a banned weapon? If so, then it is banned and may not be purchased, sold, or transferred.

4) If this is a semi-automatic centerfire rifle that can accept a detachable magazine, does it have any two of the following: a folding stock; a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or a flash suppressor; If so, then it is banned and may not be purchased, sold, or transferred.

5) If this is a rifle, does it have a fixed magazine that holds more than 10 rounds? If so, then it is banned and may not be purchased, sold, or transferred.

6) If this is a rifle, what is the overall length of the weapon? If the stock is fully extended and there are no removable additions to the barrel, is the weapon less than 29 inches? If so, then it is banned and may not be purchased, sold, or transferred.

7) If this is a semi-automatic shotgun, does the weapon have a revolving cylinder? If so, then it is banned and may not be purchased, sold, or transferred.

8) If this is a semi-automatic shotgun, does the weapon have a folding stock? If so, then it is banned and may not be purchased, sold, or transferred

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Having your original bbl/ upper also enters into the discussion of nebulous * Constructive Intent * , and is largely speculative .

Typically, constructive intent would be having a lower and ONLY a pencil barrel upper, even if they are not assembled.

Having a pistol upper and a rifle is not normally a problem. But a lower and only a pistol upper is a problem.

Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC
    Question of clarification. For AR uppers, its not enough to just through on a heavy barrel, right? The "law" states that you can't have a flash hider, but it looks like all these heavy barrel MD legal AR's have them. I'm confused

As of today AR with a heavy barrel are legal to own in Maryland. However, that will likely change with pending legislation that is about to ban them. If the legislation passes it will go into effect October 1 2019.

Having a flash hider + Hbar is fine, but again that is as of today.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The copycat provision feature set (only one feature) only includes “regulated” firearms. As of now an HBAR is not regulated

Buzz826

Sep 15, 2018
    I'm just amazed what people consider an assault rifle a well trained person with a shotgun or a 22 can do just as much damage.. The politicians need to stop listened to the media and get their head out of their ass

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The copycat provision feature set (only one feature) only includes “regulated” firearms. As of now an HBAR is not regulated

EDIT ---------------------------

Managed to get an early version

Uh, no, it is all semi auto, centerfire rifles.

(E) (1) “COPYCAT WEAPON” MEANS:
    (I) A SEMIAUTOMATIC CENTERFIRE RIFLE THAT CAN
    ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE AND HAS ANY TWO OF THE FOLLOWING:

1. A FOLDING STOCK;
    2. A GRENADE LAUNCHER OR FLARE LAUNCHER;
    3. A FLASH SUPPRESSOR;

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member