• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    The one on the top is awesome. It has a vintage modern look to it.

That is a Hamilton Rodney, circa 1955-1958. 10K gold filled and those markers are real 18K gold. 18 jewel 700-series (American made) Hamilton movement. That is from back when they were still making watches in Lancaster, PA. The Rodney line is considered by many to be one of Hamilton's all-time great series. That model cost $89.50 new in 1956 or about $750 today. The Rodney series was continued until 1964 but the curved font on that one's dial is the older style. Hamilton was bought up and moved to Switzerland in 1969 where it is part of the Swatch Group today along with Omega and many others.

Not that I'm really into watch collecting or anything.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    That is a Hamilton Rodney, circa 1955-1958. 10K gold filled and those markers are real 18K gold. 18 jewel 700-series (American made) Hamilton movement. That is from back when they were still making watches in Lancaster, PA. The Rodney line is considered by many to be one of Hamilton's all-time great series. That model cost $89.50 new in 1956 or about $750 today. The Rodney series was continued until 1964 but the curved font on that one's dial is the older style. Hamilton was bought up and moved to Switzerland in 1969 where it is part of the Swatch Group today along with Omega and many others.

Yup, this.

My dad collected Hamilton Railroad pocket watches (he left one to each of us when he died) and rectangular faced Hamilton wristwatches. He left us each one of those as well. The classic American made Hamiltons are great watches.

One of these days I am getting one of the Model 12 or 22 Naval Chronometers to be a desk clock. Those things are SO cool. We had a real problem at the beginning of the Second World War. Navigation in those days still required time-bearing-speed calculations, and the chronometers we used on most of our ships were Swiss, which became impossible to get. The Navy put out a request, and Hamilton was the only American company who could fulfill it.

The Ship's chronometer came in a gimballed mount in a nice box, and also came with a Deck Watch that was mounted in a shock proof case that could be set to the main chronometer and then taken out on deck by a navigational officer to take sightings.

Here's what they looked like:
    http://landandseacollection.com/id916.html

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

I got it a few years ago for about $200 in very good condition. Only thing I've ever had done to it was a full service by my local watchmaker.
    Here's another one of my Hamilton Khaki's
    efc6c04a16948b3bb04ed992a6b3be00.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Very lucky to have received this Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay as a gift more than a decade ago.

It was a swap out for a watch that was supposed to be recharged by the sun but, duh, it was under my sleeve 24/7 so no recharging. Genius!

This Seiko is the be-all, end all as far as I am concerned. My arm-swing winds the watch and if I happen to leave it off for a week and come back and give it a little shake, it reaches out to Fort Collins to reset itself to the exact time. What's not to like?

Attachments

• IMG_6324.jpg
      IMG_6324.jpg
      86.7 KB · Views: 450

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Yup, this.

My dad collected Hamilton Railroad pocket watches (he left one to each of us when he died) and rectangular faced Hamilton wristwatches. He left us each one of those as well. The classic American made Hamiltons are great watches.

One of these days I am getting one of the Model 12 or 22 Naval Chronometers to be a desk clock. Those things are SO cool. We had a real problem at the beginning of the Second World War. Navigation in those days still required time-bearing-speed calculations, and the chronometers we used on most of our ships were Swiss, which became impossible to get. The Navy put out a request, and Hamilton was the only American company who could fulfill it.

The Ship's chronometer came in a gimballed mount in a nice box, and also came with a Deck Watch that was mounted in a shock proof case that could be set to the main chronometer and then taken out on deck by a navigational officer to take sightings.

Here's what they looked like:
    http://landandseacollection.com/id916.html
    Those are awesome!

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007

All I have to say is........wow.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I do own a watch but have only worn it once several years ago Likely junk, Michael Kors, from what I understand they are made by Fossil.
    fa66bddf1b32cd276d8944c330e47104.jpg

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    ground chuck, I looked at that one. It's a really nice watch. I personally hated the metal grommets set in the strap but I guess the strap could be changed of you don't like them.

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    ground chuck, I looked at that one. It's a really nice watch. I personally hated the metal grommets set in the strap but I guess the strap could be changed of you don't like them.
    I've been literally watching this on amazon and it dropped to $72 so I had to pick it up. Mrs. Claus will wrap it for me.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Very lucky to have received this Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay as a gift more than a decade ago.

It was a swap out for a watch that was supposed to be recharged by the sun but, duh, it was under my sleeve 24/7 so no recharging. Genius!

This Seiko is the be-all, end all as far as I am concerned. My arm-swing winds the watch and if I happen to leave it off for a week and come back and give it a little shake, it reaches out to Fort Collins to reset itself to the exact time. What's not to like?

That's awesome. I love the atomic clock feature in my G-Shocks. I don't think I've ever encountered an analog watch that used it as well. Very, very cool.

I do own a watch but have only worn it once several years ago Likely junk, Michael Kors, from what I understand they are made by Fossil.
    fa66bddf1b32cd276d8944c330e47104.jpg

I have a Relic which is an even cheaper version of a Fossil. It looks nice and keeps time accurately so I wear it If I need to dress up. If you like the watch, wear it.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    How much? Where from?

It's a Samsung Gear S3 Frontier with a Trump App... below is my watch with a different dial displayed...

That Trump watch is freakin cool.....and I mean BIGLY.

Agree, that is super cool.

Here's a link ...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...twatch-46mm-dark-grey/5647800.p?skuId=5647800

But may be cheaper elsewhere. Wonder if it also works well with iPhones. I like the look better than the iWatch.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Ahh, good point. Even the Samsung website, which allows a preorder at $300, says it won't ship until the week of Jan 7.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom