• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Omnipotent,

That ought to be quite change from the SMP to a Breitling.

STeveZ,

I appreciate the history and design of the Speedmaster series very much. However, the classic 3570.50 is the only real "Speedmaster" in my book.

:thumbsup:

seawolf823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Dec 18, 2011
    Timonium
    My EDW

Attachments

• 91Z7ZkY3ZYL._SL1500_.jpg
      91Z7ZkY3ZYL._SL1500_.jpg
      74.9 KB · Views: 479

Omnipotent

Semper Fi
    Jan 10, 2013
    MoCo
    Omnipotent,

That ought to be quite change from the SMP to a Breitling.

STeveZ,

I appreciate the history and design of the Speedmaster series very much. However, the classic 3570.50 is the only real "Speedmaster" in my book.

:thumbsup:

couldn't agree more...if I didn't already have the Omega Seamaster, I probably would have opted for the Speedmaster from them, but want to "spread the wealth" so to speak....and I've always wanted a Breitling.

The best part of these watches, with nothing being against Rolex as I had the Submariner but sold it, is that the average person has no idea what the watch is or the value. Most people know the name Rolex and when they see it on you assume a certain value or wealth associated with it. I sell to the government, and rubbing money in the face of your customer is never a good thing...same reason I don't show up to appointments in a Mercedes S Class or Range Rover....showing up your customer is no way to keep them.

However, if you are talking with a govvey and they notice an Omega or Breitling or other more boutique watch, then you have two things...one he's a watch aficionado and two, he probably has something and it's a good conversation starter with them.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    couldn't agree more...if I didn't already have the Omega Seamaster, I probably would have opted for the Speedmaster from them, but want to "spread the wealth" so to speak....and I've always wanted a Breitling.

The best part of these watches, with nothing being against Rolex as I had the Submariner but sold it, is that the average person has no idea what the watch is or the value. Most people know the name Rolex and when they see it on you assume a certain value or wealth associated with it. I sell to the government, and rubbing money in the face of your customer is never a good thing...same reason I don't show up to appointments in a Mercedes S Class or Range Rover....showing up your customer is no way to keep them.

However, if you are talking with a govvey and they notice an Omega or Breitling or other more boutique watch, then you have two things...one he's a watch aficionado and two, he probably has something and it's a good conversation starter with them.

I can certainly understand that in sales. Being a doctor, I am obligated to drive a BMW and wear a Rolex. I really hate fitting the stereotype, but I love my Beemer and love my Rolex. Now I just need a custom 1911, and I can be the complete prick.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I can certainly understand that in sales. Being a doctor, I am obligated to drive a BMW and wear a Rolex. I really hate fitting the stereotype, but I love my Beemer and love my Rolex. Now I just need a custom 1911, and I can be the complete prick.

Oh, I think if you tried harder you could be a complete prick without the custom 1911. :D

We've had this discussion before. I had a Rolex for a while and mine was a lemon. Didn't regret selling it at all - especially cause I put the money toward a Glashutte Original. A truly SUPERB watch. And no one asks me if it's a fake!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Oh, I think if you tried harder you could be a complete prick without the custom 1911. :D

:lol: Unfortunately, being a prick isn't in my nature. I wish it was, it seems to make a lot of things easier. When I pick up my matched pair of Purdey's, we'll shoot some skeet. ;)

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011

It's interesting you say that. I've often wondered why the Submariner was the Rolex to have for a lot of people - aside from the DateJust. I'd venture a guess and say that most really do buy just the Submariner to achieve some status symbol - it realistically being the only time they'd spend such a sum on a watch. However, there are plenty of people in the group who also wear one because it really is a great watch. They are watch enthusiasts. The Submariner has the unrivaled history and performance.

I spoke with one guy who has had his since '84 and never serviced it - still runs great although shows obvious wear.

A friend of mine who is a complete WIS (Watch Idiot Savant) and has gone through many, many different types and brands of watches... comes back to his Submariner for the comfort, reliability and fact that the piece fits well with jeans as much as a suit. He has started selling off most of his collection.

Wearing a Submariner is a double edge sword, I guess - you can be presumed to be an :asshat: or someone who really appreciates a quality time piece.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It's interesting you say that. I've often wondered why the Submariner was the Rolex to have for a lot of people - aside from the DateJust. I'd venture a guess and say that most really do buy just the Submariner to achieve some status symbol - it realistically being the only time they'd spend such a sum on a watch. However, there are plenty of people in the group who also wear one because it really is a great watch. They are watch enthusiasts. The Submariner has the unrivaled history and performance.

I spoke with one guy who has had his since '84 and never serviced it - still runs great although shows obvious wear.

A friend of mine who is a complete WIS (Watch Idiot Savant) and has gone through many, many different types and brands of watches... comes back to his Submariner for the comfort, reliability and fact that the piece fits well with jeans as much as a suit. He has started selling off most of his collection.

Wearing a Submariner is a double edge sword, I guess - you can be presumed to be an :asshat: or someone who really appreciates a quality time piece.

I think the Rolex movement is a work of art. Mine has been running almost continuously for 13 years, and the only time I have to set it is when the time changes in Spring and Fall. My wife bought it for me when I graduated from med school. She worked a lot of overtime to save up for it. I do consider myself a watch enthusiast, I just choose to not spend a lot of money on more watches. I have done some diving, and at one point had hoped to do a lot more. I also love the reliability. I have beat the shit out of my Submariner. The case has a lot of superficial scratches etc., but nothing that can't be polished out (I am long over-due for a service). The crystal is like new. The abuse my watch has taken is amazing. I am certain that despite that, I will one day pass it on to my Son, and he to his.

Like you said, the watch looks right at home with the jeans or with a tux. It is a classic.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011

Yeah... I've seen this discussed quite often on watch forums. Job interviews also being another venue that tests whether it's a good idea to wear a timepiece such as a Rolex.

Breitlings are generally very blingy. I went to their boutique not long ago and realized that they're really catering to the huge watch crowd... mostly influenced by the hip-hop scene. And, they seem to be modifying/changing their designs very often. There are some classics out there that really stand the test of time... the Navitimer being one of them but too busy for EDW. SuperOcean. Colt. Those are nice. But, only the long discontinued Headwind strikes a chord with me.

headwind-ss-black-0001.jpg

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    I think the Rolex movement is a work of art. Mine has been running almost continuously for 13 years, and the only time I have to set it is when the time changes in Spring and Fall. My wife bought it for me when I graduated from med school. She worked a lot of overtime to save up for it. I do consider myself a watch enthusiast, I just choose to not spend a lot of money on more watches. I have done some diving, and at one point had hoped to do a lot more. I also love the reliability. I have beat the shit out of my Submariner. The case has a lot of superficial scratches etc., but nothing that can't be polished out (I am long over-due for a service). The crystal is like new. The abuse my watch has taken is amazing. I am certain that despite that, I will one day pass it on to my Son, and he to his.

That's awesome. Like firearms, timepieces can do well as heirloom pieces. I agree also that even as a watch enthusiast... having that one perfect (to you) timepiece makes you a watch enthusiast.

Admittedly... Rolex movements aren't the prettiest. But, as you mention, they are workhorses.

Their new line up has received varied feedback. It seems the comfort isn't there with the larger case/bracelet/clasp pieces like the Submariner that now has the ceramic bezel (which has been noted to crack). One of the things I really enjoyed about Rolex is that they stood their ground and their designs became classics because they didn't change them often. Alas... it seems even the greates like Rolex fell to the fad of huge watches. I also read that they're trying to be a tier one manufacturer rubbing shoulders with Patek, Vacheron and AP. They had completely restructured their dealer network and cut thousands out throughout the world.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    That's awesome. Like firearms, timepieces can do well as heirloom pieces. I agree also that even as a watch enthusiast... having that one perfect (to you) timepiece makes you a watch enthusiast.

Admittedly... Rolex movements aren't the prettiest. But, as you mention, they are workhorses.

Their new line up has received varied feedback. It seems the comfort isn't there with the larger case/bracelet/clasp pieces like the Submariner that now has the ceramic bezel (which has been noted to crack). One of the things I really enjoyed about Rolex is that they stood their ground and their designs became classics because they didn't change them often. Alas... it seems even the greates like Rolex fell to the fad of huge watches. I also read that they're trying to be a tier one manufacturer rubbing shoulders with Patek, Vacheron and AP. They had completely restructured their dealer network and cut thousands out throughout the world.

Mine was made in 1999, so still full Stainless. Just looking around at used watch prices, it would cost me twice as what my wife paid for it to get one. You are right, the movement isn't pretty, but I have an appreciation for things that work. I like it when form follows function. Glocks aren't pretty, but they are uber-reliable, and I like them for that reason.

Rolex is a mid to low end watch manufacturer (in the world of luxury watches). Most people do not realize that. Of course, they aren't aware of the watches you mention like Patek and others. I would give my left nut for a Vacheron. I will never own one, barring a Power Ball win, but they are beautiful.

navycrna

Smell My Face
    Feb 28, 2007
    howard county
    So here is my rotation:
    Omega Constellation
    Hamilton Khaki Automatic
    Renee Barton
    Tag Heuer Monaco
    Tag Heuer Professional
    Tag Heuer Carrera

BOTTOM
    Suunto Core
    Skagen
    Luminox Chronograph Dive Professional
    Luminox Dive Professional
    Stuhrling (Hublot Big Bang knock off, I don't have $50K to blow on a watch)
    Victornox Diver
    The empty space is for the Luminx Nav Recon when it comes out next month.

I also realy like the MTM watches and would consider getting one but I refuse to buy a watch that prominently displays SPEC OPS on every one of there watches. I will not be That Guy.

Attachments

• watch.jpg
      watch.jpg
      61.4 KB · Views: 422

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Well, I'm definitely a WIS. And there is that perfect watch...for you. I love my Glashutte Original Sport Evolution Panorama Date (that name is a mouthful). I had some good freelance gigs 8 years ago and decided to treat myself. Like teratos' Rolex, my GO has scratches and wear marks, but I don't care. It's a classy diver , with a gorgeous and rugged movement, and keeps incredible time.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364063976.676635.jpg

But when I hit the Powerball I'm going watch crazy. One will be this Jaeger LeCoultre AMVOX. For a while you got one with the purchase of an Aston Martin DB9. I'm getting both...the AMVOX and the Aston.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364064087.416879.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom