• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I'm gathering supplies for my version of .223 MK262 load. I'm reading some conflicting info. I currently have H335, which someone said wasn't good for 77gr, but I found a manual approving it. I was going to get Varget but then someone mentioned issues with the long bullet and Varget taking up too much case volume.

What are you all using?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Noooo MANY MANY people use varget and 77 SMKs including me. RL15 is the "highpower" powder that most use. Ramshot TAC also works very well

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I mainly use Varget for both .308 and .223 match loads, but RE-15 is SOOO close that they are almost interchangeable in there two cartridges. I lean toward Varget due to temperature stability.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    No problem with Varget, it just never metered well for me. One of my former team mates used 24 gr. of Varget with 77's and it hammered! I preferred N140 with a lighter load and it meters much better. RE15, IMR 8208XBR and N135 work well. I remember back when I was using N135, I shot a 300yd. rapid fire group at Camp Perry that had the All Guard Team asking me what I was using. Too bad I missed the wind call and put the group on the 10/9 line at 3:00.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Hey OLM-Medic,
    what are you trying to acieve with your load?

H335 is a little bit too fast to acieve really high velocities with 77gr Bullets in the .223 but will produce accurate target rounds. If you want to shoot 600+ yds or are looking for the maximum velocity with heavy bullets, it is not the powder for you. You get great velocity out of 55gr loads. Varget burns a little bit slower and gives you additional velocity with the heavy bullets. It has a great reputation for temperature stability and consistant burn speed..... pain to run through a volumetric powder measure though.

Pretty much all of the powders mentioned here should work fine. Your milage (velocity-wise) may vary depending on barrel length. You may want to try the following:
    - Ramshot TAC
    - Hodgdon anything in the burn rate between 335 and CFE223
    - Accurate 2520
    - Vitavouri N530

In your case, I would just try to see if you can figure out a load with 335. If you can't pick one propellant from this tread and turn any remaining powder into totally servicable 100yds targeting ammo.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Hey OLM-Medic,
    what are you trying to acieve with your load?

H335 is a little bit too fast to acieve really high velocities with 77gr Bullets in the .223 but will produce accurate target rounds. If you want to shoot 600+ yds or are looking for the maximum velocity with heavy bullets, it is not the powder for you. You get great velocity out of 55gr loads. Varget burns a little bit slower and gives you additional velocity with the heavy bullets. It has a great reputation for temperature stability and consistant burn speed..... pain to run through a volumetric powder measure though.

Pretty much all of the powders mentioned here should work fine. Your milage (velocity-wise) may vary depending on barrel length. You may want to try the following:
    - Ramshot TAC
    - Hodgdon anything in the burn rate between 335 and CFE223
    - Accurate 2520
    - Vitavouri N530

In your case, I would just try to see if you can figure out a load with 335. If you can't pick one propellant from this tread and turn any remaining powder into totally servicable 100yds targeting ammo.

Yeah I just have H335 left over from a while ago when I reloading 55gr.

I plan on using 75gr most likely actually, and launching them 600 or more yards out of a 16". Should I try Varget then?

Someone was just saying Varget often takes up a lot of space with the long bullets, making you use compressed loads. But I guess that's okay as long as you work up the load and check for pressure signs?

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I'm not a fan of compressed loads. Mildly compressed is generally ok but, a load that is overly compressed may actually cause seating depth variations. Back when I shot with the state team, their standard load was 77's over 24gr. Varget for their rattle battle load. That was using service rifles with 20" barrels. If I were using a shorter 16" barrel, I would probably look at a slightly faster powder for better velocities.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I'm not a fan of compressed loads. Mildly compressed is generally ok but, a load that is overly compressed may actually cause seating depth variations.
    Agreed. I've seen bullets creep back out from heavily compressed loads.

Conversely, if the bullet doesn't at least touch the powder, you're probably not using the cartridges full capability.

Compressed loads generally means the powder is little too slow for the bullet weight, although sometimes this can be where the best performance is.
    .....If I were using a shorter 16" barrel, I would probably look at a slightly faster powder for better velocities.
    In my experience shooting rifle calibers in pistol length barrels (10" .22 Hornet, 10" .30-30, 14" 7-30 Waters, 14" .35 Rem), I saw that the powders that delivered best velocity in rifle length barrels also gave me best velocities in the pistol barrels.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010

Conversely, if the bullet doesn't at least touch the powder, you're probably not using the cartridges full capability.

Compressed loads generally means the powder is little too slow for the bullet weight, although sometimes this can be where the best performance is.In my experience shooting rifle calibers in pistol length barrels (10" .22 Hornet, 10" .30-30, 14" 7-30 Waters, 14" .35 Rem), I saw that the powders that delivered best velocity in rifle length barrels also gave me best velocities in the pistol barrels.

Basically someone was saying that Varget cussed compressed loads with 77gr long bullets.

Is that false?

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    That is false. It's varget, fill it to the top, scrap it off, seat the bullet. It still won't set any speed records. But, it will shoot itty bitty groups.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg

Compressed loads generally means the powder is little too slow for the bullet weight, although sometimes this can be where the best performance is.In my experience shooting rifle calibers in pistol length barrels (10" .22 Hornet, 10" .30-30, 14" 7-30 Waters, 14" .35 Rem), I saw that the powders that delivered best velocity in rifle length barrels also gave me best velocities in the pistol barrels.

Interesting results from the pistol length barrels, I have never tried those. I am thinking that a slightly faster powder would burn more completely in a shorter barrel and not produce the huge fireball some loads do at the muzzle. My thought is that a slightly faster powder would produce a little more pressure and thus more velocity from a shorter barrel.
    I have found that longer barrels seem to prefer slightly slower powders.
    I'm talking something like the difference between, say for example, N135 & N140.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    What is your H4895 load?

Thanks

Without knowing your case, primer, neck tension, but mostly chamber type we shouldn't assume my load is safe in your gun. It's less than 24 grains.

FWIW, little over 24 was pushing a 75 berger vld over 2800 fps. Please be careful, you can go too much, unlike varget.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I understand the caveats. Only been reloading for 40+ years. :D

Just wondering where people are with 77 gr and H4895.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    There's no reason you can't use the H335 you have. Velocity wise, Hodgdon lists it as right in the middle of 14 different powders in loads on the website.
    I've used it with the 69 grain Sierra. Wasn't my best target load, but it was OK.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom