.260 Remington (bolt-action), tips/advice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I got some H110, but I use that for the Beowulf...

Ahhh, decisions, decisions.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Supplies came in.

Powder selection was limited, so I could only manage 2 jugs of Varget, and a jug of H4831.

If nothing else, it'll give me something to experiment with and see if I can find a load the rifle likes.
    I'd start with the Varget. IMHO H4831 (& H4831sc) is too slow and velocities will be limited even with compressed loads.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'd start with the Varget. IMHO H4831 (& H4831sc) is too slow and velocities will be limited even with compressed loads.

Then that's what I'll start with.

Thank you sir, as always, a invaluable source of info. :thumbsup:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    First batch is rolled out. 32 rounds (all the once-fired 260 brass I had).

Found a bag of unfired 7mm-08 brass, so they got necked down for 260 use. *No donut in the bottom of the case mouth.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Rifle seems to like 38.3gr of Varget when running the 120gr Nosler ballistic tips, ran it up to 39.3gr and had no significant pressure signs - primers were just starting to lose some radius, but not flattened out. COL was 2.790" - I always tend to load long.

I'll snag a chrony for the next batch to get the velocity readings - still haven't replaced the chrony I shot last year.

Accuracy was good, seem to be hovering right around .48" to .67" at 105 yards, but at least it's consistent. Groups are more of a cloverleaf.

Also made a batch with 36gr of H335 under the 120gr Nosler, rifle shot those very well too.

Need more brass and bullets, already exhausted my supply of projectiles.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Haven't been able to really shoot for groups yet, the range I shoot at can get a bit crowded and loud at times - which definitely throws me off my game some. Especially annoying to get settled in and then someone with an obnoxious brake starts letting loose right next to you.

Varget has been doing well so far, 39.3gr's has been my charge weight for the past 2 batches. No pressure signs, very little powder fouling. Haven't verified velocities just yet.

With a little luck, I'll get to shoot at a different venue in the near future, then I can shoot for groups and hopefully borrow a chronograph as well.

**Had thought about switching to a spherical powder like H414 since it seemed like Varget didn't like my powder drop station, but with a little tweaking/tuning, it's throwing consistently and cleanly now.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Brad,

If you need any thing let me know my basement looks like a supply store for 6.5 reloading.
    Also trust in the word of Ed Shell his advice is what worked out the bugs in my .260 rem 140 gr loads!
    Ed is a great teacher and source of info, but a piss poor weatherman ( roll the dam chicken bones Ed).

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Rifle seems to like 38.3gr of Varget when running the 120gr Nosler ballistic tips, ran it up to 39.3gr and had no significant pressure signs - primers were just starting to lose some radius, but not flattened out. COL was 2.790" - I always tend to load long.

I'll snag a chrony for the next batch to get the velocity readings - still haven't replaced the chrony I shot last year.

Accuracy was good, seem to be hovering right around .48" to .67" at 105 yards, but at least it's consistent. Groups are more of a cloverleaf.

Also made a batch with 36gr of H335 under the 120gr Nosler, rifle shot those very well too.

Need more brass and bullets, already exhausted my supply of projectiles.

Dude, what bullets do you need??? I have a white box and a ups account!!!!!!!!!!!!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Dude, what bullets do you need??? I have a white box and a ups account!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually just got in (300) 120gr HPBT's from Prvi Partizan today, my usual place for 120gr Nosler's was cleaned out. Hoping those run half as well as the Nosler's did.

I couldn't impose brother, still owe you for those 75gr HPBT pill's and the Fed match SRP's for the .223 from a while back. :)

Since I have limited ranges to shoot at (typically 100/105, 500 if I make the trip to DSC), I haven't played with the heavier 140/142gr rounds yet.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Actually just got in (300) 120gr HPBT's from Prvi Partizan today, my usual place for 120gr Nosler's was cleaned out. Hoping those run half as well as the Nosler's did.

I couldn't impose brother, still owe you for those 75gr HPBT pill's and the Fed match SRP's for the .223 from a while back. :)

Since I have limited ranges to shoot at (typically 100/105, 500 if I make the trip to DSC), I haven't played with the heavier 140/142gr rounds yet.

I have sent a lot of those ppu 120 and 139 pills down range. Graf and sons box's show up a lot at my house. If you need any thing let me know.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I have sent a lot of those ppu 120 and 139 pills down range. Graf and sons box's show up a lot at my house. If you need any thing let me know.

How have those Prvi rounds shot? Good plinking bullets, or do they have some accuracy potential?

So far I've only played with Varget, and it's treated me well - aside from H4350, any other good powders to keep my eyes open for?

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    How have those Prvi rounds shot? Good plinking bullets, or do they have some accuracy potential?

So far I've only played with Varget, and it's treated me well - aside from H4350, any other good powders to keep my eyes open for?

I have had good luck with reloader 15 and 19. The ppu 139gr rang steel at 1120 yards just fine!

I get better groups with the 120 the then 139. They are not a smk grade but the work fine and for the price they make good paper punchers.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Good to know. The 120's, I wasn't sure what to expect. The Nosler's were doing around .5" pretty consistently at 100 (shooter was the weak point). So I was hoping they'd be in the neighborhood.

I've also rolled a few different batches for the Prvi's, 1 batch at 39.3gr Varget COL 2.70", a couple more at the same charge but with COL's running up to 2.785", and then a few batches at 39.5gr Varget with COL's ranging from 2.70" to 2.785".

Doing the backyard test, none of those exhibited noticeable pressure signs on Win LRP - 39.5gr they start to show hints that it's getting up there, but the primers still look good, so I think 39.5gr is what I'll limit myself to with the 120gr rounds.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Rifle runs the 120gr prvi's just fine. Maximum charge tested was 39.5gr at 2.70" - primers were starting to flatten some, still had a radius to them, barely starting to flow around the pin. Consistent performance - no chrony readings, forgot to ask someone to bring one with them.

39.5gr at 2.785", primers just starting to flatten, very little to non-existent flow. Groups were slightly tighter when the shooter could manage to keep it together.

The factory Federal 260 brass was on it's 4th loading, did discard some of those due to signs of the primer pockets loosening up - appeared that some gas was escaping around the primers. The necked-down 7mm-08 Remington brass, had a few with the same issue, 4th loading as well. I'll be keeping an eye on the remaining brass from those lots.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Did have a couple of good 3-shot strings from yesterday, but my 4th and 5th shots screwed the pooch every time I tried to make it a 5-shot string. Simply put, I don't quite have the confidence I had with the .223 with this caliber yet.

This is one of the better ones from yesterday - no adjustments made to the optic, just checking the consistency before I adjusted to POI.

View attachment 132895

.509" outside edge to outside edge at it's tallest point, .459" outside edge to outside edge at it's widest.

Probably could do better if I spaced my shots out some more, do notice I get a bit of heat mirage off the barrel, which obviously doesn't help my vision of the target.

Last edited:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Only had 4 rounds to run thru the chrony by the time I remembered to actually use it today.

39.5/39.6gr Varget, 120gr Prvi Partizan BTHP, Win LRP, 2.780" COL.

2942fps
    2931fps
    2926fps
    2952fps

Was hoping for less of a spread, but for plinking ammo that isn't that hateful. Primers were in great shape, so I know there's still room to push these harder, but I'm liking how these batches have been shooting, so I'll leave them be.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Also, ran out of case lube - turns out Pam cooking spray does a better job than Hornady One-Shot - that press has never been so smooth while sizing 260 cases.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You mean Hornady One Stuck??? :)

I use lanolin and alcohol. Normally buy the Dillon pre-mixed version, but you can go to the drugstore and get the components and mix your own. 9 to 10 parts alcohol (91% isopropyl works well) to 1 part anhydrous lanolin.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You mean Hornady One Stuck??? :)

I use lanolin and alcohol. Normally buy the Dillon pre-mixed version, but you can go to the drugstore and get the components and mix your own. 9 to 10 parts alcohol (91% isopropyl works well) to 1 part anhydrous lanolin.

I've been meaning to try out the home mix, had a few cans of 'that which shall not be named' laying around - finally ran out.

Pam isn't a bad "last-ditch solution", I know there's always a can or two in the kitchen... :lol2:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    IMAG1218.jpg

IMAG1219.jpg

Think I found a winner with the Varget and the Prvi 120gr BTHP combo.

39.8gr Varget
    Winchester LRP
    Lapua 260Rem brass
    COL of 2.795"

Need to get the velocities on another day out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom