• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    Hi everyone, I own three Ruger 10/22 and four Buck Mark .22LR (my favorite at this time, very reliable, seldom jam). I always thought these are all I need for the 22LR until by chance I came across the Malin model 795 and its take down version model 70PSS. I am very intrigued by the simplicity of model 795, its low price and all the full features (e.g. the last shot hold open, and the swivel sling that neither 10/22 nor Buck Mark rifle have). For <$200 price for model 795, it is just too good to be true. I watched many model 795 youtube like field strip & cleaning. I found it, at least from what I read, is much simpler than the ruger 10/22 ( I always have lots of issues putting back the ruger 10/22 bolts - depressing the spring/rod but the bolt will not slide in easily). Immediately I see the advantage of marlin 795 how much easier you can hand guide the Malin spring and guiding rod in into the chamber.

I am almost ready to order my first Malin 795 (probably its survival model 70PSS Papoose if I like 795). I am very concerned I may become a Malin fan as I own Ruger 10/22 for so long. Other reason I want to look beyond Ruger 10/22 is the magazines. I experience jamming issue with 10/22's BX25 from time to time. Not too often, but enough to be annoyed. Seems to me the 10 round Malin clip should be more reliable.

Question:
    1. is 10 round clip be used in model 70PSS also ? How about the high capacity mag like ProMag 25 rounds. Are these any good ? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006341481

2. Is it legal in MD to mail order 10 round clips from place like Budsgunshop ?

I am tempted to order the model 795 right now. But I need to do due diligence to fully research it first.

Thanks

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I purchased a 795 years ago when the 10/22 was hard to find. The sight that came with it is very basic and switched to tech sights after first putting fire sights on it. I also switched to an mcarbo spring to change the trigger. Its nothing like a 10/22, nor buckmark trigger. Yes, cleaning is easy but I never found I needed to do alot of cleaning. With a scope, yup, Marlin 795 was pretty accurate at 50 yards compared to a stock 10/22. I sure don't clean the 10/22 or buckmark that often either other than pulling a snake through it. Heck, my buckmark, I purposely went over 1000 rounds to see if I'd get any jams and did not. (except winchester x). Again, just using a snake. As far a take down, I'm actually thinking about the Henry AR7 which already comes with a peep sight and stows into the stock.

good luck

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I had a 795 and Marlin 60. The 795 is basically a lighter, magfed 60. I loved it, even more than my 10/22. I sold my 10/22, kept my 60, but gave my 795 to a family member after getting my 15-22. The 7 and 10 rd mags appeared to be interchangeable if I recall, but irritating on my thumbs loading them. Much prefer the 15-22 mags. I took the action out, and while I had no jams, I polished everything, especially the feed ramp. It is a fantastic gun. Light, accurate, reliable. It did choke on some Remington Golden Bullets but even my brother's bolt action CZ failed to light them off, so it wasn't the gun. Mine was the Appleseed version with the Tech Sights. I would recommend that over irons unless you plan to mount optics. I put a scope on my 60, but kept my 795 with the Tech . It really is an under rated gun. I bought a Promag 25 rd mag, but never shot it. It fits ok, a bit wobbly. I have heard mixed reviews, which is why I only ordered one to test first. I will ask my family member if they have tried it yet. But, I would recommend a 795. If I stumbled upon a killer deal again, I'd jump on it. Kinda wish I hadn't gotten rid of my 795, but the 15-22 does everything I need it to.

You can order the 10rd mags from anywhere you want. I got mine off eBay fairly cheaper, if I recall. If you want a 25rd Promag, you'll have to go to PA.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I bought a 795 last year and love it. Since purchase, it has had the trigger group surfaces polished, MCarbo springs installed and 4 additional Marlin 10 round mags were purchased by mail in full compliance with Marylandistan's unconstitutional laws.

With CCI MiniMags, it holds a dime sized group @ 50 yards using a basic Simmons 3-9 scope.

It is actually the first .22LR rifle that I have ever owned and has exceeded all of my expectations for such a affordably priced rifle. I looked at the Papoose too, and may add one to my arsenal eventually and equip that with upgraded iron sights to help my old eyes.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    I'm a fairly big fan of the 10/22, although I do have a friend that has a Papoose, and it runs okay, and is accurate enough with the little Millett Red Dot I traded him to put on it. An awesome, but overlooked .22 semi auto is the Remington 552 Speedmaster. Prior to owning one (they're pricey, but I stumbled into a good deal on one), if you had told me that there was a current production .22 semi auto that handled S, L & LR, even mixed togethe,r all without hangup, I would have laughed at you. It's more than passably accurate, too...

josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    Thank you everyone for the great reply (and so promptly). Such a great forum and great members. I pretty much decided to get a Malin 795. But seeing your response just gave me extra assurance. Nowadays, one can not trust all those wonderful gun endorsement kudos out there.

This is my buying list - Model 795 + Henry AR-7 in two weeks.

Settle a bit then the Malin Papoose.

Funny to recall when I brought my 2nd Browning Buckmark sporter rifle (love it so much that I brought the exact same rifle). The wood stock is so beautiful. I almost sworn that would be my last firearms. Now I am getting three more.

Thanks again everyone. I will share more of my take on 795 after I got it.

PS: I will order the 10 round clip from online store. Budsgunshop seems cheapest.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/parts-and-accessories/parts-by-gun-model/marlin/795/magazines/ ----$14.97

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/41176
    ----- $12.35

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I have a couple Marlin 795s that I set up as Appleseed loaners. I did a review, including cost and feature comparisons with 10/22s:

How Much Does a Rifleman Patch Cost?

Since writing the article, which is very positive, I have a few other observations from the Appleseed perspective after a few events. Understand that our rifles get a lot more use in a short timeframe than most people will put them through so these issues may not appear for many users.

• The rifles are light, well balanced, good looking, and very accurate with a scope
    • They are super durable - our Senior Instructor has a few loaners with more than 20K rounds through them that still can score Rifleman!
    • The buttstocks are low for use of a scope - we use cheap, improvised cheek risers (foam and wrap) so no big deal
    • The triggers are heavier than, for instance, a Ruger BX trigger - I bought an MCarbo kit (love those guys and use their kits on other guns) but I don't have enough mechanical aptitude to change all the springs as illustrated in the video.
    • They are easy to take down for cleaning but they do have a lot of exposed and smaller springs and there is one in particular (disconnector spring) that can come unhooked/bent and cause issues.
    • They are not recommended for dry firing and you can get a dead trigger in certain circumstances that takes fiddling to get operative again
    • They are pretty reliable but you should avoid pressure on the external magazine (can cause misfeeds) and keep the chamber and feed ramp clean. We find that they start to choke at the end of a 2-day Appleseed. Polishing the feed ramp might help.
    • The metal magazines do irritate fingers more than plastic Ruger mags do; and you have to pay more attention to bent feed lips (number each mag)

EVERY platform has pluses and minuses so don't take these as a reason not to buy at all. But, honestly, I have thought of selling the two 795s, mainly because it is easier to maintain one type of loaner (10/22s) and common magazines rather than 2 different platforms.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Marlin 795/60 with the difference being box magazine vs tube magazine. I have both and like the tube magazine (personal preference). With a Spee-D-Loader, the reloads are pretty quick. http://www.spee-d-loader.net/spee-d-loader/

For either rifle, I would suggest you look into an improved trigger by Arrow Dodger His improved trigger can easily be installed in any 795/70/60 Marlin.

No reason you can't enjoy your 10/22s and the Marlin rifles. Choices are good.

Be safe.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I grew up on my dad’s Marlin 795 that has a wood stock...it’s a late 70s early 80s era one. My brother and I shot more rounds through that rifle than I can remember. It was dad’s coon huntin rifle, but we used it to plink, kill chipmunks, squirrels, groundhogs, and deer on crop damage permits. My dad purchased another 795 a few years ago and I just don’t care for it like I do his old one. The synthetic stock feels cheap, the trigger guard feels cheap, and it doesn’t seem to be as reliable as the old one. Now maybe that’s bc the old one was well broke in. Anyways I kept hearing all of the hype about 10/22s so I tried one out. I don’t care for the operation of them. The Marlin is much simpler to me.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Thank you everyone for the great reply (and so promptly). Such a great forum and great members. I pretty much decided to get a Malin 795. But seeing your response just gave me extra assurance. Nowadays, one can not trust all those wonderful gun endorsement kudos out there.

This is my buying list - Model 795 + Henry AR-7 in two weeks.

Settle a bit then the Malin Papoose.

Funny to recall when I brought my 2nd Browning Buckmark sporter rifle (love it so much that I brought the exact same rifle). The wood stock is so beautiful. I almost sworn that would be my last firearms. Now I am getting three more.

Thanks again everyone. I will share more of my take on 795 after I got it.

PS: I will order the 10 round clip from online store. Budsgunshop seems cheapest.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/parts-and-accessories/parts-by-gun-model/marlin/795/magazines/ ----$14.97

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/41176
    ----- $12.35

Josh...actually followed this with some interest as I love all flavors of .22. BUT..after several responses all stated maRlin and MAGAZINE as opposed to you with malin and clip. PLEASE get used to correct names and nomenclature. Not a personal attack, but a pet peeve that I have. Your post just happened to be the straw that broke the camel's back.

jabber6

Mar 16, 2013
    Forest Hill, Harford County
    Interestingly enough Marlin uses “clip”, “magazine” and “clip magazine” all in the same section of one of my owners manuals.

Attachments

• B5F7CC1F-ADF5-41B2-BB1B-C84D4496F44B.jpg
      B5F7CC1F-ADF5-41B2-BB1B-C84D4496F44B.jpg
      96.2 KB · Views: 276

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Interestingly enough Marlin uses “clip”, “magazine” and “clip magazine” all in the same section of one of my owners manuals.

Hahaha this makes my heart happy. I grew up when almost EVERYONE used the term clip interchangeably with magazine...most actually used the term “clip” more. I fell into that trap of correcting people then realized I was being a sheep just like people are with terms Assault rifle, modern sporting rifle, etc. People tries to be all cool and tAcTiCoOl these days with their “correctness”.

easy

Nov 25, 2011
    SEOK
    Marlin 795/60 with the difference being box magazine vs tube magazine. I have both and like the tube magazine (personal preference). With a Spee-D-Loader, the reloads are pretty quick. http://www.spee-d-loader.net/spee-d-loader/

For either rifle, I would suggest you look into an improved trigger by Arrow Dodger His improved trigger can easily be installed in any 795/70/60 Marlin.

No reason you can't enjoy your 10/22s and the Marlin rifles. Choices are good.

Be safe.

Sadly Arrowdodger no longer produces his KAT triggers.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1162461&highlight=KAT

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom