• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Update it's been saved .

Got this from a friend at a great price well within the range to make it worth saving . It has a March of 43 barrel date and the serial number falls into the same time of production, without tearing it down yet it looks like all Remington parts so far aside from the front sight blade having a brass bead. The stock is a Fajen and no one put any extra holes in the metal .

If anyone has a stock set they would be interested in selling please let me know.

Attachments

• 20170818_220555.jpg
      20170818_220555.jpg
      47.2 KB · Views: 470
    • IMG_20171101_154325974_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20171101_154325974_HDR.jpg
      50.8 KB · Views: 261
    Last edited:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Nice one, it has a small trigger bow too. I fit a few CMP stocks and they are ok but sometimes need some additional work to get bedded correctly and the rear guard screws have been hit or miss for they way they are drilled. Sarco usually has some scant stocks that are as about reasonable as you can get. Thats a nice stock it sits in now.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Still a nice looking rifle no matter how you slice it. Original sights, bring it back or leave as is it's going to shoot like a 03A3. :thumbsup:

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    I picked up a 03-a3 a few years back and planned on the same thing. Just be careful buying a replacement stock set , if you want a USGI one especially. They're not cheap and if you buy one online, the pics can be deceiving. Also realize you'll have to take the front sight off to get the barrel band on. Speaking of barrel bands, you'll need some hardware to mount a correct stock.

Not saying you can't get it done, just know what you're getting into. :thumbsup:

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I picked up a 03-a3 a few years back and planned on the same thing. Just be careful buying a replacement stock set , if you want a USGI one especially. They're not cheap and if you buy one online, the pics can be deceiving. Also realize you'll have to take the front sight off to get the barrel band on. Speaking of barrel bands, you'll need some hardware to mount a correct stock.

Not saying you can't get it done, just know what you're getting into. :thumbsup:

Yeah not the first one I've put back together . The hardware and bands are the easy and cheap stuff but finding the right stock is going to cost the same if not more than what I paid for the gun .

I have time though this one is going to be for dad for Christmas when it's done .

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    One up on gunboards right now, idk if that's a good price or not.

http://forums.gunboards.com/#/topics/825794

That's a good price shipped , with the caveat the seller notes, it's a pre-cross bolt model and would probably be better suited for someone looking to make a rifle "correct" One of my many blunders was buying a complete rifle with the same stock set (wanted a good shooter) and apparently the pre-cross bolt stocks have a tendency to crack, that's why they were replaced.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Congrats, could you tell the story for other people looking to do a similar restoration?

It was a fairly simple restoration aside from a few parts , everything was found on ebay .

The stock has all the correct markings on it although it has been lightly sanded , I did have to do a little fitting to get the hand guard to go into the receiver ring.

As far as the metal is concerned it's all blued,stamped and Remington marked as it should be . There is plenty of it out there .

Honesty the hardest part to find was the blued front bayonet band that wasn't a repro , I got into a bidding war on ebay for that .

The front sight I ended up replacing the band as well as the blade because the blade had a brass bead on it .The only "C" height Remington marked sight I could find was already in a band so I went that route .

Only thing I need to get for it is the front sight hood and the cleaning kit/ oiler for the stock .

All in all I think it turned out great and Dad will be getting it for Christmas .

And I have to get him a PAL bayonet for it , I've already gotten him a UFH and AFH .

Last edited:

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    It was a fairly simple restoration aside from a few parts , everything was found on ebay .

The stock has all the correct markings on it although it has been lightly sanded , I did have to do a little fitting to get the hand guard to go into the receiver ring.

As far as the metal is concerned it's all blued,stamped and Remington marked as it should be . There is plenty of it out there .

Honesty the hardest part to find was the blued front bayonet band that wasn't a repro , I got into a bidding war on ebay for that .

The front sight I ended up replacing the band as well as the blade because the blade had a brass bead on it .The only "C" height Remington marked sight I could find was already in a band so I went that route .

Only thing I need to get for it is the front sight hood and the cleaning kit/ oiler for the stock .

All in all I think it turned out great and Dad will be getting it for Christmas .

And I have to get him a PAL bayonet for it , I've already gotten him a UFH and AFH .

Thanks for the details, your dad's a lucky guy :thumbsup:

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Thanks for the details, your dad's a lucky guy :thumbsup:

You're welcome .

Actually though I am the lucky one. He is my stepfather , my mother met him when I was around 5 or 6 and he stepped up and was the father he didn't have to be . He is my father as far as I am concerned , I named my son after him.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    You're welcome .

Actually though I am the lucky one. He is my stepfather , my mother met him when I was around 5 or 6 and he stepped up and was the father he didn't have to be . He is my father as far as I am concerned , I named my son after him.

Any man that's willing to raise someone else's biological son as their own deserves the title father more so than the actual one. More importantly you love and respect each other and want to do for the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom