• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Picked up this Arisaka Type 38 Carbine a couple weeks ago at the Mount Airy Gunshack. Apparently it'd been in there for around a month, I'm surprised nobody bought it. It's a Nagoya 5th Series, so it's a later production carbine, Late 1930's-Early 1940's if I remember right. Everything on it is matching, even the floorplate, but unfortunately the dust cover and cleaning rod are missing, and the mum is ground. Usually when it comes to Arisaka's, I'd rather buy a matching rifle without the mum over a mum'd rifle that's mismatched.

On the plus side, it came with a rare Brass Arisaka Muzzle Cover. I'd never seen one in the flesh before but I knew they were fairly rare (some types more than others). I got it for $371 OTD, which I don't think is bad at all considering the shape of the Carbine and the matching numbers. Hell, the muzzle cover is probably worth $150+/- itself.

Attachments

• IMG_4116.jpg
      IMG_4116.jpg
      128 KB · Views: 353
    • IMG_4123.jpg
      IMG_4123.jpg
      101.5 KB · Views: 356
    • IMG_4139.jpg
      IMG_4139.jpg
      129.7 KB · Views: 337
    • IMG_4173.jpg
      IMG_4173.jpg
      80.5 KB · Views: 338
    • IMG_4201.jpg
      IMG_4201.jpg
      43.3 KB · Views: 388
    • IMG_4205.jpg
      IMG_4205.jpg
      37.8 KB · Views: 345

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Great find!! You got a steal on it considering the matching numbers, real nice condition, and the bonus muzzle cover! I'd be proud to have that one in my collection and you're right, muzzle cover is give or take $150 by itself. I'm right there with you, I'll take a matching but ground gun over a mismatched/mummed rifle any day of the week. You're also correct on the later production...Frank Allan's T38 book puts estimated production of the 5th series at June 41 - September 42.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Nice buy! I looked at it when I was in there and cautioned them to make sure no one pocketed that muzzle cover. I almost bought it just for the cover.

Thanks guys!

They were keeping the cover in the back when I looked at it. It told the younger guy that was working there how much the cover was worth and that I was surprised nobody had bought it yet. He said that multiple people kept saying they wanted the cover but already had the rifle and didn't want both.

It had a bit of dust and grime all over it which I managed to clean up. It looked liked it'd been in a closet for some time. Fortunately, whoever owned it kept good care of it and there was a large amount of grease on the metal under the woodline.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I'm going to step up and take all the credit for this purchase. MilsurpDan was wise enough to reach out and listen to me when I said "Hell yes, buy it!". Looks even better than your description. I don't sweat the DC, they're unicorns. And matching DCs are albino unicorns. The brass MC is a super cherry on top. Don't think I've ever seen one in person and it's something I don't own in my rather expansive Japanese collection. Good job!

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I'm going to step up and take all the credit for this purchase. MilsurpDan was wise enough to reach out and listen to me when I said "Hell yes, buy it!". Looks even better than your description. I don't sweat the DC, they're unicorns. And matching DCs are albino unicorns. The brass MC is a super cherry on top. Don't think I've ever seen one in person and it's something I don't own in my rather expansive Japanese collection. Good job!

Yea I guess I will give you the credit! I was a little wishy-washy on it until I asked you about it. Then I couldn't get the thought of it out of my head and figured I'd just go get it. :lol2: Plus it's the only Type 38 Carbine I have now.

I was thinking about taking it up to the range with me this weekend, but I'll be sighting in my new K31 and testing out loads for my Gewehr 88 so I might not have room. I've never shot one of the Arisaka Carbine's before. They're small, but I can't imagine it'll be anywhere as bad as a Steyr M.95 or M44 Carbine.

I still have a spare Koshikawa carbine stock that I picked up to restore another carbine, but I ended up just selling it instead. I might use it for a restoration project if I find a nice Koshikawa that somebody ruined the stock on.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Can't remember ever seeing a sporterized T38 carbine. Almost always a rifle as they're far more common and the carbine is already a short, handy profile (unlike the looooong rifle). I have a very nice T38 carbine that I got out of a nice collection along with a Concentric Circle T99 (uber sweet early T99 with AA sights, 'pod, and CR). Looking back at my photos I gotta say your T38 is a touch nicer than mine. And I've always been proud of this one, difficult to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom