• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    I ran across something interesting today while perusing an auction catalog for an upcoming internet auction. While I personally found little of interest to my immediate collection needs, I did see a Century Arms R1A1 listed. A quick check of the MD Ban List does not show it as banned per name.

Now, given there is a copycat statuette, does this weapon fit the bill for a copycat or is it it's own thing? It is technically a .308 sporter and does have some different features from the FN FAL which it was based off of.

So, legal eagles, have at it.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Not banned. The FN FAL listed by name is a full auto firearm or clone thereof and a metric pattern FAL. The L1A1 SLR this is patterned after are inch FALs and NOT parts interchangeable. They are also a different design (no giggle switch).

Insert standard disclaimer regarding Century and the drunk, crack addicted monkeys they employ.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I thought we had gone over this metric vs inch issue and the general consensus was it was pushing luck.

Don't know anything about the R1A1 specifically. Other than Century can be a little scary depending on the product. But its sort of like Polytech if its the only FAL we can have...........

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wonder if their wiz kid lawyer came up with a answer. I think we are all stinging over the C308 which is a lot clearer cut than inch vs metric. Totally different gun.

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Wonder if their wiz kid lawyer came up with a answer. I think we are all stinging over the C308 which is a lot clearer cut than inch vs metric. Totally different gun.

Not to thread jack, but don't tell me the c308 is banned there.

EDIT

Never mind, I see that turned into a total flustercuck

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You mean like how Polytech M14 parts don't swap out with Springfield M1A parts?
    You mean like how they went to town on that guy who bought an MCX, which has far less parts commonality with the standard AR-15?

The "list" is not legally binding, and the only reason we have "complete parts interchangeability" as a standard is because of an AG letter / MSP bulletin, which is hardly legislation. If the MSP decided to decide to charge a dude for buying a Norinco M14, well, I would also not want to be in court for that one, either. I say the same thing about everyone buying SLR-104s and SLR-106s - I honestly think the MSP made the wrong call on those with the way the law is written for AKs, and it may or may not eventually bite people in the ass.

If someone can find a shop who wants to transfer an R1A1 to them, good luck, and make sure you've got a good 2A lawyer in your pocket.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Not banned. The FN FAL listed by name is a full auto firearm or clone thereof and a metric pattern FAL. The L1A1 SLR this is patterned after are inch FALs and NOT parts interchangeable. They are also a different design (no giggle switch).

Insert standard disclaimer regarding Century and the drunk, crack addicted monkeys they employ.

Sorry, but the FN-LAR is enumerated along with the FNFAL. The LAR had many different names. FALO, C2A1, L2A1, etc. With the exception of the FALO and LAR, these were inch pattern weapons. So inch-vs metric doesn't matter. By including those two weapons, they nailed all FAL variants in one pass.

Ask yourself this. Do you see DSA SA-58s on the shelves of our LGS? No? There's a reason for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom