• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I am looking at a property in Anne Arundel county that has an old 1950 brick rancher type house. It's uninhabitable. I need someone to meet with me and the realtor to see if it can be rehabbed/rebuilt to be lived in and get a ballpark of plans and see if something can be done with this train wreck short of demolishing it and starting over.

It is sitting on 2.5 acres.

Attachments

• 8111.jpg
      8111.jpg
      89.7 KB · Views: 511

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I am looking at a property in Anne Arundel county that has an old 1950 brick rancher type house. It's uninhabitable. I need someone to meet with me and the realtor to see if it can be rehabbed/rebuilt to be lived in and get a ballpark of plans and see if something can be done with this train wreck short of demolishing it and starting over.

It is sitting on 2.5 acres.
    I am still doing this for you as well. Just backed up with fires and pipe freeze claims. Might be another 2 weeks. Sorry for the delay. ;)

P.S. I love the in law apt feature. Great place for a man cave.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    2.5 Acres in AA county I think I would start over and have a place with real value. You could be the one to get that started in the area. They are doing it big time in the DC metro.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    2.5 Acres in AA county I think I would start over and have a place with real value. You could be the one to get that started in the area. They are doing it big time in the DC metro.

I know. it's on 2.48 acres and asking 234k. If I could level it and build something for 130, then I might be a player.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I know. it's on 2.48 acres and asking 234k. If I could level it and build something for 130, then I might be a player.

Check into any new building codes. I know if Harford Co, in the past 5 years, just in permits, required building code and state wide regulations, new construction costs up to $50K more and that has no bearing on the type of house you are getting. Rehabbing may be your best approach if possible.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Check into any new building codes. I know if Harford Co, in the past 5 years, just in permits, required building code and state wide regulations, new construction costs up to $50K more and that has no bearing on the type of house you are getting. Rehabbing may be your best approach if possible.

Yeah. Hence having pow wow with realtor and builder together.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia

If the place can't be saved, maybe an offer in the 135k range would work. That might cover demo and construction of a new home.

Good luck
    :thumbsup:

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    What ever you do, when it come to buying building materials I can help with a few things. I'll be happy to assist, just let me know when your ready and if you are the one buying the material.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    What makes it uninhabitable?

The roof that leaked and basically flooded the joint and the less than desirable previous residents. The place is just awful. The value is in the land.

I was hoping to try to be under what I am paying now for my bigger and newer home, but looks like that won't happen. Now at 48, I am looking for smaller with no steps and wide doors. My last house.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Yeah, no way you are going to be building something decent for $130k.

Now, 2.5 acres for $234k in Annapolis is pretty good if it is in a decent part of Annapolis. My sister paid close to $400k for a postage stamp lot across the road from the Naval Academy Stadium. Thing is, she is walking distance from the State House, harbor, etc. Then, she spent north of $300k for a pre-fab house that is around 4,000 sf.

You might be able to get something built for $130k, but it would not be playa playa worthy.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    There are some nice, manufactured ranchers out there for around $160 I would consider.

I'm just wanting something now that is flat, low roof and hardly any steps. Not getting any younger ya know.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    There are some nice, manufactured ranchers out there for around $160 I would consider.

I'm just wanting something now that is flat, low roof and hardly any steps. Not getting any younger ya know.

I was 39 years old when we bought our rancher. 2,100 sf on the main level with all the bedrooms and kitchen on the main level and 2,400 sf downstairs. Got the house for "free" because the 2 acre lot was pretty much worth what we paid for the entire kit and caboodle. Of course, as I get older I'll need to drive the motorized wheelchair around the outside to the basement so I can get into my "workshop" or I'll just convert one of the kids' bedrooms to a "workshop".

I completely hear you about wanting a ranch.

End of the day, you might actually be able to get a single level ranch for $160. My sister paid $300k+ for her pre-fab, but they had to dig out the basement, pour the basement walls, and then use a crain to set the pieces of the house. After the pieces were set, there was a lot of work involved finishing the interior and she had them put a front porch on it too.

Look around at some of the pre-fab houses and see what they can do for you. We were thinking about going pre-fab on a lot until we found this house at this price. It really is amazing what they can do with pre-fab nowadays.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Look around at some of the pre-fab houses and see what they can do for you. We were thinking about going pre-fab on a lot until we found this house at this price. It really is amazing what they can do with pre-fab nowadays.

Some of the pre-fabs are 'erector set custom homes'. You plan it with their draftsman using the modules, trims etc. and it comes in pieces that can be handled with a small crane. Really slick.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Some of the pre-fabs are 'erector set custom homes'. You plan it with their draftsman using the modules, trims etc. and it comes in pieces that can be handled with a small crane. Really slick.

I bought several books on pre-fab homes, and the pictures of them were incredible. One was 8,000+ sf, finished in stone on the exterior, and it was 12 boxes (i.e., it came on 12 trucks). Pretty sure it cost a crapton of money though the way it was done and finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom