• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -For over 20 yrs I've been trying to pry loose an IBM built M1 Carbine from a friend. But he just won't let it go. So I decided that I'd have to do some research and find another if I wanted to add one to the collection. Bought a copy of War Baby! from Larry Ruth and set about learning a bit about the breed.
    -Then a month ago Redding lists approx. 50 M1 Carbines for their Armistice Day auction. All came out of one collection and the bulk of them were collector grade. I went into this wary of Redding as M1s in the past were selling for full market and then some. Around $1K on average for what I'd call a service grade example. But with this many selling at once I thought that perhaps I could get collector grade for a service grade price. That was the goal.
    -Inspected all the lots the day before while waiting on Bucky's grooming in Gettysburg. Picked out 7 examples I liked: 5 Underwoods and 2 NPMs. In the end I bid on two Underwoods. My first choice was a pristine example but my $1325 bid was $25 short and I moved on. Was successful on my second choice and the example I got is in excellent condition with a mirror bore. Stock stamps are a bit weak but visible. Otherwise it's a gem. Paid just under $1k so the bargain hunter in me is satisfied as well. The previous owner's tag states that it had a C tip sling and IS marked oiler but these were gone. As fate would have it I had a Japanese T99 Substitute that came home from the Pacific sporting a C tip sling! And found an IS marked oiler for only $12 up on Evil Pay. So it'll be complete soon.
    -The other two items I took home are both holsters. The first is a WW2 Italian web holster for a .25 Beretta. It's in unissued condition and I paid a whole $2 for it. I've never seen one of these in all my years of collecting so I was shocked when nobody bid against me.
    -The other holster is for a 1907 Roth Steyr. This one was originally made with a shoulder strap but around WWI was converted to belt straps and used to carry a Steyr Hahn M1911 which fits perfectly. Did a search of the web and found that many Steyr Roth holsters were converted from shoulder strap to belt loops. Even found a few that were converted the other way from belt loop to shoulder strap. Found two full stripper clips of vintage Steyr Hahn ammo in the side pouch as well, a cool bonus. The GI who brought it home penned his name on the inside of the flap. Will have to see if I can ID him. In excellent condition these holsters have brought from $700-750 in the past. In good condition, like mine, market value will be in the $350-400 range. I only paid a fraction of the low estimate so I'm thrilled. I have a Steyr Hahn that I bought 35 yrs ago and it's a reblued shooter. So I think I'll keep an eye peeled for a nice collector example to mate with this holster.

Attachments

• IMGP8667.JPG
      IMGP8667.JPG
      22.4 KB · Views: 516
    • IMGP8670.JPG
      IMGP8670.JPG
      19.4 KB · Views: 536
    • IMGP8671.JPG
      IMGP8671.JPG
      42.7 KB · Views: 534
    • IMGP8672.JPG
      IMGP8672.JPG
      45.6 KB · Views: 557
    • IMGP8669.JPG
      IMGP8669.JPG
      56.3 KB · Views: 531
    • IMGP8665.JPG
      IMGP8665.JPG
      68.9 KB · Views: 542
    • IMGP8668.JPG
      IMGP8668.JPG
      65.9 KB · Views: 548

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Holsters...

Attachments

• IMGP8665.JPG
      IMGP8665.JPG
      59.9 KB · Views: 523
    • IMGP8664.JPG
      IMGP8664.JPG
      46.2 KB · Views: 530
    • IMGP8662.JPG
      IMGP8662.JPG
      63.8 KB · Views: 516
    • IMGP8663.JPG
      IMGP8663.JPG
      68.7 KB · Views: 533
    • IMGP8661.JPG
      IMGP8661.JPG
      64.7 KB · Views: 505

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Great find. If I had any money I would follow you around just to buy your rejects.i don’t have money so I am lowoncash.

You're welcome to join me at a show or auction! I'm happy to share what it's taken nearly four decades to amass. I hung out both days this weekend with two experienced collectors and was smart enough to soak in everything I could. Learned a lot in a short period of time and had fun doing it!
    Seriously, I'm as big a cheapskate as you'll find. This hobby is just as much about the search for a rare item at a bargain price as anything. That $2 Italian holster jazzed me to no end, as much as the Underwood. I've learned that it's OK to go home empty handed rather than throw hard earned cash at something of dubious value to the collection. There are times I'll pile on the credit card if a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity comes along, can't be helped. I'm no stranger to a Ramen noodle diet! That's what happened recently, three gotta have 'em opportunities will make it a quiet Christmas in the household this year.

airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    Great find, very jealous. I really regret not going this past week, but I am broke currently. How were the prices on the multitude of other non-upgraded M1 Carbines?

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Great find, very jealous. I really regret not going this past week, but I am broke currently. How were the prices on the multitude of other non-upgraded M1 Carbines?

Don't think any sold for under $850. Have my notes at home, will have to check tonight. Most were really quite nice. IMHO a better deal than the throw-of-the-dice that CMP carbines were. With the previous owner's copious notes on every carbine you knew exactly what you were getting. He researched the heck out of each and every one. Nice that nothing was left to chance for once.
    Nothing interesting in MNs or Enfields. Lots of 03A3s, some of them very good condition. And oodles of smoke poles, including Confederate rifles and swords. I've zero interest in anything pre-dating metallic cartridges so there were big blocks of boredom for me. Did notice that I got good cell reception inside for the first time. Something tells me that my carrier Verizon has improved service in that area. Yay!

Jul 1, 2012
    That M1 was an excellent bargain IMHO !!
    The fact the previous owner made such detailed notes - and the auction house left them intact - is a huge plus.
    Those Steyr-Hahn clips are pretty hard to find BTW.
    I should've held on to my S-H's, it's getting harder to find decent original ones; but still seems like an unstable market for them.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Congrats, my friend!!! That’s a beauty :thumbsup:
    I absolutely LOVE the carbines - way more than Garands (flame suit on). My carbine is about my favorite rifle to shoot outside of any 22lr.

I only own one carbine and one Garand, through the grace of a fellow MDS collector. I can’t afford US service rifle prices, nor would I want more than a single example of each with what the US collectors have done to sterilize the collectibility of these beautiful rifles - but you know my concerns/issues.

I’ve haven’t been able to purchase a collectors grade firearm in years due to life and family, but have slowly been saving up for my number one want - a Russian contract Winchester. I think I’m about ready, so if you see a good one - let me know :D

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Congrats, my friend!!! That’s a beauty :thumbsup:
    I absolutely LOVE the carbines - way more than Garands (flame suit on). My carbine is about my favorite rifle to shoot outside of any 22lr.

I only own one carbine and one Garand, through the grace of a fellow MDS collector. I can’t afford US service rifle prices, nor would I want more than a single example of each with what the US collectors have done to sterilize the collectibility of these beautiful rifles - but you know my concerns/issues.

I’ve haven’t been able to purchase a collectors grade firearm in years due to life and family, but have slowly been saving up for my number one want - a Russian contract Winchester. I think I’m about ready, so if you see a good one - let me know :D

Of course my friend, let's see if we can't find a nice example for you! I've been trolling for a French issue Remington Rolling Block in 8mm Lebel for a while but bidding on these has gotten fierce the last couple of years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom